MembersZone Subscriber

Default Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor

John Nichols
    Tue Sep 6, 1:08 PM ET

The Nation -- Finally, we have discovered the roots of George W. Bush's "compassionate conservatism."

On the heels of the president's "What, me worry?" response to the death, destruction and dislocation that followed upon Hurricane Katrina comes the news of his mother's Labor Day visit with hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston.

Commenting on the facilities that have been set up for the evacuees -- cots crammed side-by-side in a huge stadium where the lights never go out and the sound of sobbing children never completely ceases -- former First Lady Barbara Bush concluded that the poor people of New Orleans had lucked out.

"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them," Mrs. Bush told American Public Media's "Marketplace" program, before returning to her multi-million dollar Houston home.

On the tape of the interview, Mrs. Bush chuckles audibly as she observes just how great things are going for families that are separated from loved ones, people who have been forced to abandon their homes and the only community where they have ever lived, and parents who are explaining to children that their pets, their toys and in some cases their friends may be lost forever. Perhaps the former first lady was amusing herself with the notion that evacuees without bread could eat cake.

At the very least, she was expressing a measure of empathy commensurate with that evidenced by her son during his fly-ins for disaster-zone photo opportunities.

On Friday, when even Republican lawmakers were giving the federal government an "F" for its response to the crisis, President Bush heaped praise on embattled Federal Emergency Management Agency chief Michael Brown. As thousands of victims of the hurricane continued to plead for food, water, shelter, medical care and a way out of the nightmare to which federal neglect had consigned them, Brown cheerily announced that "people are getting the help they need."

Barbara Bush's son put his arm around the addled FEMA functionary and declared, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Like mother, like son.

Even when a hurricane hits, the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Forum Member

Yeah,Whatever

Forum Member

Even when a hurricane hits, the apple does not fall far from the tree.
    Aint that the truth
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

MembersZone Subscriber

What did she say that was wrong?

They WERE underprivleged. they did not have the resources to relocate on their own. So it IS working out quite well that they have relocated to Houston.

This is simply another example of how far people who hate George Bush will go to disparage him.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    What did she say that was wrong?

They WERE underprivleged. they did not have the resources to relocate on their own. So it IS working out quite well that they have relocated to Houston.

This is simply another example of how far people who hate George Bush will go to disparage him.

A fine defense from someone, who in his own words decribed the residents of New Orleans as "Sub-human Scum"...
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

On the heels of the president's "What, me worry?" response to the death, destruction and dislocation that followed upon Hurricane Katrina comes the news of his mother's Labor Day visit with hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston.
    And the telecast that I saw of this visit, showed both the former president and former first lady talking, hugging, kissing and giving comfort to the evacuees in the Astrodome.
    You are blinded by your anti-Bush sentiments and no matter what you say, I saw what I saw.
    And I did not come away with the same conclusions as you did.
    And also, for the record, Barbara Bush's charitable causes and her efforts on behalf of children are legendary. You should be ashamed for implying that she doesn't care.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    A fine defense from someone, who in his own words decribed the residents of New Orleans as "Sub-human Scum"...
    Could you possibly point me to the post where I described the residents of New Orleans as "sub-human scum"? Becasue the only description that I can find of the residents that I posted was:
    I think that it is very important to remember that the criminal mobs are the minority. Most of the people are scared, hungry, thirsty and desperate. Also, they are mostly lower income folks. You or I can put a rental car or a hotel room on our VISA card. Many of those folks do not have the means to put food on the table every day. This is a terribly sad situation.
    Now do not be dishonest and insuate that what I said about the looters pertained to ALL citizens of New Orleans...

Forum Member

Default I only report what I see.

As of today, I will make no more donations until I can be sure that my money DOES NOT go to a single soul in New Orleans. I am willing to bet that therre will be thousands of US citizens who feel the same way. I don't give a damn if they ever rebuild the city.

And what was your point? I didn't say squat about the people of LA. My anger is directed specifically at the subhuman scum in NO.

Its ok to voice your opinion. But stand by it when you do. Friday night ..Remember?
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 09-08-2005 at 02:36 PM.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Nah, no anti-Bush bias in that article, nosiree.........
    Did Michael Moore forward that one to you?

MembersZone Subscriber

Its ok to voice your opinion. But stand by it when you do. Friday night ..Remember?
    Yeah, I thought that was the one you would throw out there. As I said, that comment is about the looters.

Nice try, though.

Forum Member

It's all Bill Clinton's fault.....no wait that was 9/11... wrong adminatration?
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Good spin George. I never saw one mention of looters.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course you didn't. You were too busy taking it out of context.

NOTE: This should not be construed as an argument. I have not called anyone names or have I insulted their lineage. this is merely an honest misunderstanding between me and my esteemed colleague from Chicago. i actually love and respect him and would never dream of insulting him, or any other member of the fier service.

Forum Member

I dont have a problem with ol' Babs. However, when you are a public person everything you say in public is going to be held to close scrutiny. She used a poor choice of words and to many it sounds insensitive.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

This may sound a little jaded, but lets not forget that 95% of the people at the Astrodome never lifted a finger to help themeselves before or after all this. A little determination and ingenuity and might not be in this situation to begin with.

Forum Member

Good spin George. I never saw one mention of looters.
    Concidering it was in the thread ABOUT LOOTERS and how they were such pieces of $hit, I think you know damn well what he is talking about. You are intentionaly spinning it a different way to suite your own argument. That's pretty lame.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Thou shalt not speak ill of the SILVER FOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I think that's a little unfair to Barb Bush & GWB too. I think there are big problems but Bush is doing a fair job, and I would say the same if Kerry or any other person was president.

Forum Member

Re read the thread nm. When George said he would give nothing TO A SINGLE SOUL in N.O. I believed him and disagreed with him. The thread was about a non-exisistant event that was supposed to have happend in St. Bernard Parish.
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 09-08-2005 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Becasue the truth hurts
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Re read the thread nm...I honestly didnt take it that way. The thread was about a non-exisistant event that was supposed to have happend in St. Bernard Parish.
    I'm not NM, but I did re-read what George wrote, and he specifically mentioned those individuals who met rescuers with "...guns and violence and curses"...so I have to take up for George on this one and agree he was referring to the thugs and looters, not the population of NO in general.

Forum Member

I stand by my posts. If George wanted to amend his original declaration of not helping a single soul and insert criminals and thugs you would have never gotten an argument from me. But since I have many many friends in New Orleans who are good, hard working people his commentary left a bad taste in my mouth since late Friday night.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Re read the thread nm. When George said he would give nothing TO A SINGLE SOUL in N.O. I believed him and disagreed with him. The thread was about a non-exisistant event that was supposed to have happend in St. Bernard Parish.
    I'm not talking about donations. That's his personal decision. I'm talking about your complete intentional and slanderous spinning of the scum comment. You knew what he meant and you intentioanlly plastered it here as if he was refering to all the residents of NO. You can sit there and say "I'm standing by it, so there!" all you want. It's still wrong.

George certainly doesn't need me to defend him, but crap like that ****ed me off regardless of who it happens to.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Father and Body Builder

Default Lives in The Balance

This post has been deleted.
    Last edited by FiremanSteve; 10-04-2005 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Deleted
    No one is thinking if everyone is thinking alike - General George Patton

Forum Member

Ok nm. You are entitled to your opinion. I am done.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

NOTE: This should not be construed as an argument. I have not called anyone names or have I insulted their lineage. this is merely an honest misunderstanding between me and my esteemed colleague from Chicago. i actually love and respect him and would never dream of insulting him, or any other member of the fier service.
    For a minute there, I thought we would get back to playing nice.
    I will add a quote from one of my and MIKEY's favorite bluesmen, Dr. John. Dr. John credits the Reverend Goat with this gem: New Orleans didn't die of natural causes; she was murdered!
    I read it again. No mention of Barbara Bush.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thread Information