Forum Member

Default Sick of this...........

If you read the article on the Hurricane Katrina the Firehouse.com " " is

"He said there were still about 100 New Orleans firefighters in the city but he was trying to get them out for R&R and with their families. To fill in he had over 800 firefights from other states including New York and Maryland."

Why is it that the only states that get named are New York and Maryland? Nothing against anyone from these two states. I have friends that live on the east. But why not say “Firefighters from across the nation” I’m not by no means bad mouthing New York or Maryland. But all Firehouse.com and Firehouse magazine does is promote everything on the east coast ten times as much and the rest of the nation.......I've sent countless articles, pictures and stories to them and gotten nothing.

And I know someone is going to say stop your b*&#hing, and stop your crying. Folks I'm not, Just show the rest of the fire service across this nation a little credit.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have uncovered the conspiracy to promote the fire service in New York and Maryland to the exclusion of all other states. I, personally, would not stand for this. I would call my congressman and demand an independent investigation into this blatant anti-trust violation.

Forum Member

Not a conspiracy, Just Firehouse.com and Firehouse magazine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Hey IL has more there than these two put together. WE had 600 they only had 500 combined. Where is our moment in the sun. I WANT A CONGRESSIONAL INQUIRY!

btw we don't really care. We don't do this for fame or fortune, for accolades or even mention. We do this because it is what we do. If you are going to **** and moan about stupid stuff find somewhere else to do it. I would say this thread is more worthless than a debate about the nutrritional value of say
    FIG NEWTONS!!!!!!
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

MembersZone Subscriber

Dunno about firefighters b/c I wasn't involved with anything along those lines & I dunno about N.O. because the closest we got was Kenner airfield.

BUT - with regards to EMS - I know that Southern Ambulance (out of IL) sent at least 12 units and that another Agency out of CA sent 10 Units & a response car (along with a ton of donated clothing and goods) because I bunked down with them at the old dorms at LSU-Lafeyette Campus for 2 nights.

To get on my own soap box for a second - I could care less if this Dept. got mentioned and that one didn't - big woop. If you're doing it to get your name on CNN then you're doing it for the wrong reason anyway.

What I DO care about and it galls me no end - is all the attention and media hype about New Orleans. Yes they got hit hard but they were NOT the only area hit. Our last full day in LA was spent in a small community in Washington Parish that still has a 98% loss of power grid, only 1 functioning radio channel for all public agencies to use (Water & Light, Sherrif, EOC, Fire/EMS), no cellular service as all the towers were destroyed, pretty much no outside help whatsoever.

Now after we have left, they have no idea when any more help will come. Neighboring parishes are doing the best they can to help but getting & moving resources to the right place in a community w/ no communications isn't easy.

My thoughts and prayers to everyone in LA & MS.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

It might be because Firehouse magazine is based in MD and FDNY is the largest, most recognizable FD in the US.

No disrespect, just stating what seems to me to be the reason.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    You have uncovered the conspiracy to promote the fire service in New York and Maryland to the exclusion of all other states. I, personally, would not stand for this. I would call my congressman and demand an independent investigation into this blatant anti-trust violation.
    We are forming the committee now, and hope to have a completed report by May 17th, 2009

MembersZone Subscriber

btw we don't really care. We don't do this for fame or fortune, for accolades or even mention. We do this because it is what we do.
    I do it because chicks dig firemen.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Forum Member

Hey chrnea, I'm not to ****ing and moaning. It's a statement about Firehouse. Not people doing the job. READ THE FIRST POST.........Don't change thing's around. I'm not ****ing and moaning just making a statement about the article in general and that's all.

PS: If you thinks it's worthless I'm sorry I took your two seconds out of you important time schedule. I'm sure your a very very busy person and more things to do in life..
    Last edited by jdturner04; 09-09-2005 at 12:32 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSkipper

Thats how I met my wife.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

[QUOTE=FHandz15] It might be because Firehouse magazine is based in MD and FDNY is the largest, most recognizable FD in the US. [QUOTE]

Firehouse.com is based in MD, not the magazine.

IL is there, too...

And you're right about the FDNY, they can spare 300 FF's and it's possible (again, heard through the giant grapevine) they went via non-FEMA means.
    Last edited by DianeC; 09-08-2005 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Fix the quote which won't fix!!!
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default just giving you what you said

I am just giving you what you already knew was going to happen.
    But tell me why do you think you need credit, or the fire service need the credit. It isn't important, it isn't what matters.
    I did read your first post and I still think it is worthless statement. There are people suffering and all you can type about is the fact that Firehouse only mentioned NY and MD. Come on, get a clue. There are plenty of other articles out there about what is happening don't look for validation from a magazine or newscast or newspaper.
    And according to what is poster he says
    "He said there were still about 100 New Orleans firefighters in the city but he was trying to get them out for R&R and with their families. To fill in he had over 800 firefights from other states including New York and Maryland."
    Which makes mention of other states. you got your recognition he just happened to include some of the ones that came from far away. I personally have not heard of any coordinated efforts of many other staes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default maybe, maybe not

IL Mabas received a call up from EMAC and LA EOC. We mobilized and sent our gear and manpower down. They get there and they hear "what are you guys doing here". And were accused of self deploying! which was total BS. FEMA is so out of it right now that I am willing to bet that two guys sitting right next to each other don't have a clue what the other is doing. So the guys from NY an dMD may not have self deployed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking btw

I heard a rumor that fig newtons were actually used to plug the breaks in the levees. Just a rumor though

MembersZone Subscriber

Its just too bad the "X-Files" aren't on anymore. They'd get to the bottom of this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool good idea

Maybe I will get on the batphone and call agent Mulder. He'll solve this dilema

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'm also calling in Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson!!!
    Don't you think there was enough wind blowing around NO already? They don't need anymore.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire
    We are forming the committee now, and hope to have a completed report by May 17th, 2009
    This will be a bi-partisan committee comprised of Illinois Fire Service dignitaries.
    With regards to the FDNY; man, I see their shirts EVERYWHERE!
    That, and the fact that Artie does their PR!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

It's ok.....Everyone knows that FDNY will be annexing the rest of the country and taking over. You will soon see LA guys wearing dead cows and black gear with FDLA on the back, and everyone will be forced to use their 10 codes and say "Kay".
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    I'm contacting Senator Billary Clinton. S/he will get to the bottom of this conspiracy. I'm also calling in Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson!!!

We need to get to the bottom of this; Call GDUB, leaderlessness at its best
    Last edited by brianmark; 09-08-2005 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    workharder

MembersZone Subscriber

and everyone will be forced to use their 10 codes
    That will suck... then the NIMS police will know who to bust when they speak 10-code on the radio!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

I think this thread has gone 10-42....

GO NAVY!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have the commissioner on the line..........he wants an update!!

Seriously, I have sent several items and pictures to Firehouse.com and it wasn't published. Just think how many articles and pictures they get in just one day from around the world and then try to pick a few to show everyone. Tough job. The east coast is more populus.....therefore more fires. More big fires. Wisconsin has it's share of big fires but not as regular. True, they are based in Maryland so it is more conveinent to show DC, PGFD, FDNY, Boston, etc. They also have lots of big fire too.

It just would be nice once in a while to see other states and departments instead of Camden and other places in New York or New Jersey all the time. I say this with all due respect because they do this stuff more than I do and I do not want to rip anyone else down. I don't intend to offend anyone either but....

Variety is nice.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

With all due respect. This Thread was by no means the topic of attention to anyone. A matter of Fact it was only an issue with "Firehouse" If any attention should be given it should be to the N.O.F.D. right now. As I stated before. Several time's I've sent very interesting incidents to Firehouse and gotten nothing. Was it the right topic to pick? "maybe not" Right time to pick it? "maybe not". All I was pointing to was the FACT that the article had to be directed to two states that they report, post, on Firehouse. ( Guess they can report on whatevre they want?) Yeah

For the pop shots from a few, I thank you, and wouldn't except anything more. It's not about being on MSNBC, or CNN. it was a statement about FIREHOUSE needing to open up to the rest of the fire service not just two or three area's.

THE END OF THIS THREAD.......Stay safe and have fun

Respectfully
    Last edited by jdturner04; 05-03-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSkipper
    I do it for the money and time off.

Thread Information