MembersZone Subscriber

Hey; I almost forgot to answer your question.
    My life is much better under Bush because I don't read tripe written by Al Franken.
    But your life could be worse.
    Al Franken could be president!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Permanently Removed

Sure it was a book written by a comedian, a leftist...etc, but have you read it? It was well-written and well-researched.

It DOES make sense...or atleast it did to me.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Hey; I almost forgot to answer your question.
    My life is much better under Bush because I don't read tripe written by Al Franken.
    But your life could be worse.
    Al Franken could be president!
    CR
    Maybe that is what we need as a President....someone who is not an elitist, a regular joe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    Maybe that is what we need as a President....someone who is not an elitist, a regular joe.
    You are a regular joe; I am a regular joe.
    You say that Al Franken is not an elitist? Do you know what elitism is?
    e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (ą-l¶“tąz”…m, ł-l¶“-) n. 1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources. 2.a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class. b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class. --e·lit“ist adj. & n.
    Tell me that Al Franken wouldn't exclude people from his party or cabinet that was philosophically at opposite ends of his politics.
    Elitism has been practiced since the days of George Washington.
    It will never change.
    Sorry, I had to break it to you.
    You want a book to read? PM me your address. I got a book for you to read.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey I looked up elitism in my dictionary, and there is a picture of John Kerry......Strange!

Forum Member

Screw that idea, if the nation went that way we would have not enjoyed such great leaders as Ronald Reagan, FDR, Thomas Jefferson or George Washington. All rich guys who were the elites of their times.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

So I've been away a few days....glad to see the politics still haven't left this yet!

SO CHIEF....

I also do not follow the masses ar just do what MTV tells me to do. I watch...and decide for myself. I'll admit I did vote for Gore in 2000, but I wasn't upset the Bush got elected. However, at that time, gas was still less than $1 a gallon, my friends weren't being sent to fight a worthless war, and Bush had not proved himself to be a President who put his and his elite friends' personal interest above the rest of the country. It really wasn't until I read Al Franken's book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" that I really realized what a joke our government has become.

I didn't major in Political Science, I have a degree in Biology from Iowa State University, but my grandfather was an Iowa State Senator, and I grew up around Politics....(my uncle was Bill Clinton's Campaign Manager in 1992 and his wife...my aunt...is an Alderman for the City of Chicago)...so yeah, don't lecture me about Politics.

Those of you who so rabidly support Bush, have yet to tell me how our country is in better shape than 5 years ago....tell me, because I'd really like to know. GeorgeWendt seems to have stock in oil, as he said he is better off now than he has ever been...so tell me...how is your life better under Bush???
    1. Please tell me where gas was under $1.00 a gallon in 2000; I must have missed that.

2. You are getting political indoctrination from Al Franken...THAT says a lot

3. You have an uncle who worked for Clinton's campaign and an aunt who is an alderman in Chicago, and you're knocking Bush for cronieism...LOL...son, Clinton was a master at watching out for his friends over the interests of the country, and need I mention the history of political hanky-panky in Chicago?

4. As far as how the country is better than 5 years ago- I'm making about $5000 a year more than I was then, I own more property, and Bill and Hillary aren't in the White House anymore....doesn't get much better than that.

Forum Member

LOL...oh the wide-eyed delusions of youth...ya think since you bought Al's book he is going to invite you over to toss a couple of steaks on the grill and down a brewski or two? Oh, you are priceless.

Forum Member

Blanco takes 'responsibility' for problems in Katrina response

07:04 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 14, 2005

By MELINDA DESLATTE / Associated Press

Echoing the words of President Bush a day earlier, Gov. Kathleen took responsibility Wednesday for failures and missteps in the immediate response to Hurricane Katrina and pledged a united effort to rebuild New Orleans and the surrounding parishes ravaged by the storm.

"We all know that there were failures at every level of government: state, federal and local. At the state level, we must take a careful look at what went wrong and make sure it never happens again. The buck stops here, and as your governor, I take full responsibility," Blanco told lawmakers in a special meeting of the Louisiana Legislature.

Criticism for the sluggish evacuation and search and recovery efforts has been directed to all levels of government. The director of FEMA resigned in the aftermath of Katrina, replaced with a more experienced disaster manager, and President Bush said Tuesday that he accepted responsibility for any instances that the federal government "didn't fully do its job right."

Blanco spoke of learning lessons from the disaster and moving forward with a rebuilding effort that spanned all levels of government, although funded with 100 percent federal money. She called President Bush "a friend and partner" in the recovery effort.

Responding to calls for accountability and oversight in the spending of billions of dollars in federal cash on its way to Louisiana, Blanco said she would appoint an outside financial adviser to oversee the cash flow and was directing state agencies to limit their spending.

Thirty U.S. Homeland Security Department investigators and auditors already are being sent to the Gulf Coast to ensure federal funds are properly distributed in the rescue, relief and rebuilding process. Three of Blanco's predecessors also asked federal officials to appoint a task force of independent business leaders to make sure the cash is well spent.

"I assure the Congress and every American taxpayer that every nickel will be properly spent," Blanco said.

The governor's talk of rebuilding comes as thousands of displaced evacuees remain in shelters around the state and country, environmental officials test air and water to determine which storm-ravaged areas are safe for residents to return and emergency workers continue to collect bodies.

Blanco said the relief effort should include financial help to rebuild homes, tax relief and loans for businesses to stay afloat and an extension of unemployment benefits. She said she asked FEMA to give priority to Louisiana businesses and employees in the rebuilding.

And she directed words to the more than one million Louisiana residents she said evacuated to other parts of the state and across the country. "I am telling each and every one of you: we want you back home," she said.

The governor said she saw hopeful signs that southeast Louisiana was starting to recover, including lights on in New Orleans' Central Business District, the reopening of the city's airport, banks and hospitals open in Jefferson Parish and the first ship docking at the Port of Orleans.

"New Orleans and the surrounding parishes may be ravaged, but our spirit remains intact. To anyone who even suggests that this great city should not be rebuilt, hear this and hear it well: We will rebuild," Blanco said.

The governor said the reconstruction effort won't just recreate the same infrastructure, failed schools in New Orleans and troubled health care system, but will improve the communities that were damaged by Katrina.

She offered praise _ and lawmakers gave a standing ovation _ to a group of police officers, doctors, national guardsmen, members of the Coast Guard, helicopter pilots and wildlife agents who worked in the rescue effort, in some instances plucking people from rooftops and floodwaters.

The Legislature didn't conduct any business or take any votes while meeting Wednesday. But legislative leaders have said they expect to call a special session in the upcoming months to address rebuilding and recovery needs for parishes harmed by the storm. They also will have to grapple with crippling budget problems caused by Katrina, the movement of thousands of taxpayers outside of the state and the shutdown of businesses, schools and local government agencies.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Puts his nose to the air, he sighs and says 'I smell a class action lawsuit coming'!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Permanently Removed

There's a saying in medicine....

If you're nice, and apologize, they're less likely to sue.

Permanently Removed

Default I missed this earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer
    Enough with the busses? Why? It's a fact, and the basic reason that 100,000 people were left without transportation after an evacuation order. You also better check your math again, since they had more than 1 bus.

There were over 500 busses sitting in the flooded lot, and since they were part of the city's plan yet unused, it's absolutely a pertinent point. Let's look at the math for 500 buses at 75 per bus (you wnat to bet you could get more than that in there under the circumstances?) that's 37,500 per trip. Three trips would have more than covered the 100,000 people. Even had they not gotten everybody out prior to the storm preventing travel, these busses would have been in a safe area, and capable of reinitiating evac after the storm passed.
    Who was going to drive them. When I flew out of New Orleans on Sunday in the late hours of the evacuation, they couldn't even open their usual amount of security check points at the airport because most of the employees already left. I highly doubt they would have found 500 bus drivers.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Who was going to drive them. When I flew out of New Orleans on Sunday in the late hours of the evacuation, they couldn't even open their usual amount of security check points at the airport because most of the employees already left. I highly doubt they would have found 500 bus drivers.
    Then why was it in their disaster plan to utilize these buses? If they can't come up with the drivers, then the plan is faulty. Who's fault is that, especially when in virtually every exercise they've conducted under this plan (including the "exercise" hurricane Pam), the evacuation was accomplished using these very same "driverless" buses?

Funny thing, I just went to NO's website that previously had their Response Plan and specifically their evac plan available online, and it isn't there anymore. Imagine that.
    Last edited by Steamer; 09-15-2005 at 02:55 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider
    I agree. The chances of a Nagin or Blanco apology are slimmer then the NY Mets wild card birth.

I was wr wr wr wr wr wr wr wroooong about Blanco. My size 11 shoe needs a little Pic a pepper sauce. Still waiting to hear from Nagin in TX.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Enough with the busses? Why? It's a fact, and the basic reason that 100,000 people were left without transportation after an evacuation order. You also better check your math again, since they had more than 1 bus.

There were over 500 busses sitting in the flooded lot, and since they were part of the city's plan yet unused, it's absolutely a pertinent point. Let's look at the math for 500 buses at 75 per bus (you wnat to bet you could get more than that in there under the circumstances?) that's 37,500 per trip. Three trips would have more than covered the 100,000 people. Even had they not gotten everybody out prior to the storm preventing travel, these busses would have been in a safe area, and capable of reinitiating evac after the storm passed.
    I think you should re-read what I said then re-do your math because even if you take 500 buses that means to move 75 people per bus each bus would have to make 2.6 trips to hall 100000 people approx. My statement was you would have to make 1330 trips if that is with 1330 buses or divided among 500 buses. Now find the drivers, get through the traffic etc. I do not think you could have made the move, this may have been the plan but-how many fire departments have plans that look great on paper then in the real worl do not work????? Face it folks the screw-ups are many from the goverments to the every day people.
    GFIRE

Disillusioned Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gfowlston
    I think you should re-read what I said then re-do your math because even if you take 500 buses that means to move 75 people per bus each bus would have to make 2.6 trips to hall 100000 people approx. My statement was you would have to make 1330 trips if that is with 1330 buses or divided among 500 buses.
    First of all, I don't know what the hell you just said, so I went back to your original statement, and quote it below:
    you had 100,000 people approx this means you would have needed 1333 hundred trips at 75 people per bus out of the city to get them to safety I very much doubt this would have happened.
    Then I went to my original statement, quoted below:
    Let's look at the math for 500 buses at 75 per bus (you wnat to bet you could get more than that in there under the circumstances?) that's 37,500 per trip. Three trips would have more than covered the 100,000 people.
    I stand by my original statement about your math. You were wrong.

Now find the drivers, get through the traffic etc. I do not think you could have made the move, this may have been the plan but-how many fire departments have plans that look great on paper then in the real worl do not work????? Face it folks the screw-ups are many from the goverments to the every day people.
    We'll never know if they could have gotten drivers for the buses, because they never tried. Even had they not gotten all of the buses on the road, they would have had some available to start moving people after the storm passed instead of languishing in 4-5 feet of water. If they (or anyone else) is willing to put resources in their plan that they know have little, if any chance of being implemented, then they should be held accountable. Hopefully, the follow up to this will see if the negligence is in the formulation of the plan, the implementation of the plan, or both.

I'll agree with you that the problems were on all levels. Local command decisions were akin to building the foundation for any structure. The foundation assembled by Nagin and his crew was at best weak, if not non-existant, and nearly everything that was built upon it crumbled. The failures didn't end on the local level, but they certainly started and were compounded there.

It speaks volumes that they no longer have their plan available on their website.
    Last edited by Steamer; 09-15-2005 at 01:27 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

They might not have been able to get EVERYONE out, but i am sure taht those that would have been able to get out if they had tried would have appriciated it over being stuck at the Super Dome or New Orleans Convention Center
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Or the Nursing Home.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Permanently Removed

Then why was it in their disaster plan to utilize these buses? If they can't come up with the drivers, then the plan is faulty. Who's fault is that, especially when in virtually every exercise they've conducted under this plan (including the "exercise" hurricane Pam), the evacuation was accomplished using these very same "driverless" buses?

Funny thing, I just went to NO's website that previously had their Response Plan and specifically their evac plan available online, and it isn't there anymore. Imagine that.
    Wow, I guess since it was written on a piece of paper, I guess that means a bunch 500 school district employees were going to just show up for work and drive those busses to get all of the poor, black people out of NO in 36 hours. I wonder what happened to them? Oh yeah, probably following the evacuation order...adopted the "every man for himself" idea.

No doubt the plan was faulty, but to count on 500 bottom-of-the-pay-scale city employees to come in when one of the largest storms in history is headed your way...that was just bad planning.

And another thing....if you try to bring the PD or the FD into all of this....you get your head eaten off....but do you really believe the mayor sat down one night and penned the city's disaster plan by himself? Tell me you honestly think the higher-ups within NOFD and NOPD didn't have a hand in the drafting, or at the very least approved it.
    Last edited by parafire81; 09-16-2005 at 01:01 AM.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Wow, I guess since it was written on a piece of paper, I guess that means a bunch 500 school district employees were going to just show up for work and drive those busses to get all of the poor, black people out of NO in 36 hours. I wonder what happened to them? Oh yeah, probably following the evacuation order....

No doubt the plan was faulty, but to count on 500 bottom-of-the-pay-scale city employees to come in when one of the largest storms in history is headed your way...that was just bad planning.

And another thing....if you try to bring the PD or the FD into all of this....you get your head eaten off....but do you really believe the mayor sat down one night and penned the city's disaster plan by himself? Tell me you honestly think the higher-ups within NOFD and NOPD didn't have a hand in the drafting, or at the very least approved it.
    You bet you're *** I'd expect people to show up or provisions for alternate drivers for those buses if they're a primary vehicle for evacuation. Using your logic, why have a plan? You can't depend on anybody, because they're "bottom-of-the-pay-scale employees". In fact take the plans we've got and just pitch 'em because we can't expect anybody to do anything laid out in the plans. After all, everyone's going to adopt the "every man for himself" idea, as you put it.

In any event, I guess we'll never know since nobody even tried to utilize the buses, giving rise to the term "Nagin's Navy".
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT

Permanently Removed

You bet you're *** I'd expect people to show up or provisions for alternate drivers for those buses if they're a primary vehicle for evacuation. Using your logic, why have a plan? You can't depend on anybody, because they're "bottom-of-the-pay-scale employees". In fact take the plans we've got and just pitch 'em because we can't expect anybody to do anything laid out in the plans. After all, everyone's going to adopt the "every man for himself" idea, as you put it.

In any event, I guess we'll never know since nobody even tried to utilize the buses, giving rise to the term "Nagin's Navy".

You seem shocked that a school district bus driver doesn't have the same commitment to public safety that you (or any other public safety employee) does.

Forum Member

Since I am involved in the other thread you're speaking about and am one of the ones that have eaten your head off (as you put it) I will like to respond here too. (since you did bring it into the discussion)

Please tell me what you expected the fire department to do prior to the storm hitting? Don't dodge me on this thread too! And don't just spew info you don't know about either. Your line about you not seeing them so they must not have been doing anything just won't work anymore. According to you they must be guilty of something because at least they saw the hurricane preparedness plan. I would like to see what your train of thought is here.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Default This Mondays Newsweek

Judge for yourself. By Evan Thomas
    Newsweek
    Sept. 19, 2005 issue - It's a standing joke among the president's top aides: who gets to deliver the bad news? Warm and hearty in public, Bush can be cold and snappish in private, and aides sometimes cringe before the displeasure of the president of the United States, or, as he is known in West Wing jargon, POTUS. The bad news on this early morning, Tuesday, Aug. 30, some 24 hours after Hurricane Katrina had ripped through New Orleans, was that the president would have to cut short his five-week vacation by a couple of days and return to Washington. The president's chief of staff, Andrew Card; his deputy chief of staff, Joe Hagin; his counselor, Dan Bartlett, and his spokesman, Scott McClellan, held a conference call to discuss the question of the president's early return and the delicate task of telling him. Hagin, it was decided, as senior aide on the ground, would do the deed.

The president did not growl this time. He had already decided to return to Washington and hold a meeting of his top advisers on the following day, Wednesday. This would give them a day to get back from their vacations and their staffs to work up some ideas about what to do in the aftermath of the storm. President Bush knew the storm and its consequences had been bad; but he didn't quite realize how bad.

The reality, say several aides who did not wish to be quoted because it might displease the president, did not really sink in until Thursday night. Some White House staffers were watching the evening news and thought the president needed to see the horrific reports coming out of New Orleans. Counselor Bartlett made up a DVD of the newscasts so Bush could see them in their entirety as he flew down to the Gulf Coast the next morning on Air Force One.

How this could be—how the president of the United States could have even less "situational awareness," as they say in the military, than the average American about the worst natural disaster in a century—is one of the more perplexing and troubling chapters in a story that, despite moments of heroism and acts of great generosity, ranks as a national disgrace.

President George W. Bush has always trusted his gut. He prides himself in ignoring the distracting chatter, the caterwauling of the media elites, the Washington political buzz machine. He has boasted that he doesn't read the papers. His doggedness is often admirable. It is easy for presidents to overreact to the noise around them.

But it is not clear what President Bush does read or watch, aside from the occasional biography and an hour or two of ESPN here and there. Bush can be petulant about dissent; he equates disagreement with disloyalty. After five years in office, he is surrounded largely by people who agree with him. Bush can ask tough questions, but it's mostly a one-way street. Most presidents keep a devil's advocate around. Lyndon Johnson had George Ball on Vietnam; President Ronald Reagan and Bush's father, George H.W. Bush, grudgingly listened to the arguments of Budget Director Richard Darman, who told them what they didn't wish to hear: that they would have to raise taxes. When Hurricane Katrina struck, it appears there was no one to tell President Bush the plain truth: that the state and local governments had been overwhelmed, that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) was not up to the job and that the military, the only institution with the resources to cope, couldn't act without a declaration from the president overriding all other authority.

CONTINUED
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

The war in Iraq was a failure of intelligence. The government's response to Katrina—like the failure to anticipate that terrorists would fly into buildings on 9/11—was a failure of imagination. On Tuesday, within 24 hours of the storm's arrival, Bush needed to be able to imagine the scenes of disorder and misery that would, two days later, shock him when he watched the evening news. He needed to be able to see that New Orleans would spin into violence and chaos very quickly if the U.S. government did not take charge—and, in effect, send in the cavalry, which in this case probably meant sending in a brigade from a combat outfit, like the 82nd Airborne, based in Fort Bragg, N.C., and prepared to deploy anywhere in the world in 18 hours.

Bush and his advisers in his "war cabinet" have always been action-oriented, "forward leaning," in the favorite phrase of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. They dislike lawyers and sometimes brush aside legalistic (and even sound constitutional) arguments. But this time "Rummy" opposed sending in active-duty troops as cops. Dick Cheney, who was vacationing in Wyoming when the storm hit, characteristically kept his counsel on videoconferences; his private advice is not known.

Liberals will say they were indifferent to the plight of poor African-Americans. It is true that Katrina laid bare society's massive neglect of its least fortunate. The inner thoughts and motivations of Bush and his top advisers are impossible to know for certain. Though it seems abstract at a time of such suffering, high-minded considerations about the balance of power between state and federal government were clearly at play. It's also possible that after at least four years of more or less constant crisis, Bush and his team are numb.

The failure of the government's response to Hurricane Katrina worked like a power blackout. Problems cascaded and compounded; each mistake made the next mistake worse. The foe in this battle was a monster; Katrina flattened the Gulf Coast with the strength of a vengeful god. But human beings, beginning with the elected officials of the City of New Orleans, failed to anticipate and react in time.

Congressional investigations will take months to sort out who is to blame. A NEWSWEEK reconstruction of the government's response to the storm shows how Bush's leadership style and the bureaucratic culture combined to produce a disaster within a disaster.

Ray Nagin, the mayor of New Orleans, didn't want to evacuate. New Orleanians have a fatalistic streak; their joyful, jazz-blowing street funeral processions are legendary. After many near misses over the years since Hurricane Betsy flooded 20 percent of the city in 1965, longtime residents prefer to stay put. Nagin's eye had long been on commerce, not catastrophe. A former executive at Cox Communications, he had come to office in 2002 to clear out the allegedly corrupt old guard and bring new business to the city, which has not prospered with New South metropolises like Atlanta. During Nagin's mayoral campaign, the promises were about jobs, not stronger floodwalls and levees.

CONTINUED
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

But on Saturday night, as Katrina bore down on New Orleans, Nagin talked to Max Mayfield, head of the National Hurricane Center. "Max Mayfield has scared me to death," Nagin told City Councilwoman Cynthia Morrell early Sunday morning. "If you're scared, I'm scared," responded Morrell, and the mandatory order went out to evacuate the city—about a day later than for most other cities and counties along the Gulf Coast.

As Katrina howled outside Monday morning and the windows of the Hyatt Hotel, where the mayor had set up his command post, began popping out, Nagin and his staff lay on the floor. Then came eerie silence. Morrell decided to go look at her district, including nearby Gentilly. Outside, Canal Street was dry. "Phew," Morrell told her driver, "that was close." But then, from the elevated highway, she began seeing neighborhoods under eight to 15 feet of water. "Holy God," she thought to herself. Then she spotted her first dead body.

At dusk, on the ninth floor of city hall, the mayor and the city council had their first encounter with the federal government. A man in a blue FEMA windbreaker arrived to brief them on his helicopter flyover of the city. He seemed unfamiliar with the city's geography, but he did have a sense of urgency. "Water as far as the eye can see," he said. It was worse than Hurricanes Andrew in 1992 and Camille in 1969. "I need to call Washington," he said. "Do you have a conference-call line?" According to an aide to the mayor, he seemed a little taken aback when the answer was no. Long neglected in the city budget, communications within the New Orleans city government were poor, and eventually almost nonexistent when the batteries on the few old satellite phones died. The FEMA man found a phone, but he had trouble reaching senior officials in Washington. When he finally got someone on the line, the city officials kept hearing him say, "You don't understand, you don't understand."

Around New Orleans, three levees had overtopped or were broken. The city was doomed. There was no way the water could be stopped. But, incredibly, the seriousness of the situation did not really register, not only in Washington, but at the state emergency command post upriver in Baton Rouge. In a squat, drab cinder-block building in the state capital, full of TV monitors and maps, various state and federal officials tried to make sense of what had happened. "Nobody was saying it wasn't a catastrophe," Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu told NEWSWEEK. "We were saying, 'Thank you, God,' because the experts were telling the governor it could have been even worse."

Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, a motherly but steely figure known by the nickname Queen Bee, knew that she needed help. But she wasn't quite sure what. At about 8 p.m., she spoke to Bush. "Mr. President," she said, "we need your help. We need everything you've got."

Bush, the governor later recalled, was reassuring. But the conversation was all a little vague. Blanco did not specifically ask for a massive intervention by the active-duty military. "She wouldn't know the 82nd Airborne from the Harlem Boys' Choir," said an official in the governor's office, who did not wish to be identified talking about his boss's conversations with the president. There are a number of steps Bush could have taken, short of a full-scale federal takeover, like ordering the military to take over the pitiful and (by now) largely broken emergency communications system throughout the region. But the president, who was in San Diego preparing to give a speech the next day on the war in Iraq, went to bed.

CONTINUED
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information