1. #76
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    So you say abandon NO because it's prone to flooding and natural disasters? So by your reasoning we should also abandon Florida (hurricanes), the entire gulf coast(hurricanes), California(earthquakes, fires), Alaska(earthquakes, tsunamis), the Mississippi River valley(flooding), the Carolinas and Georgia(more hurricanes), Hawaii (damn volcanos), Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, (Tornadoes). I'm sure I missed some. It's going to be awfully crowded in Colorado, wyoming and utah with all the other states closed! Damn, I forgot, those states have blizzards and wild fires. Well I'm sure we'll all find somewhere to live!
    That's a little excessive don't you think. NO is an exception. This is a city that is built under sea level. So the devastation upon it is much more costly when a major hurricane hits. It is a poor building site for a city. The problem is that when they get hit by a major hurricane it doesn't matter if they had the strongest built structures that can stand up to the winds, they are still destroyed by virtue of being under water. Did you know that NO sinks on the average of about 1/2-1 inch per year. Because of the levee system they no longer get the periodic flooding that deposited silt keeping the level the same. Now with no flooding the silt no longer accumulates and the remaining silt is settling. This means it is going to get further below sea level over the years. So what does this mean.
    I don't think that we should completely abandon the city, but before it is rebuilt it needs to be fully thought out.
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

  2. #77
    Forum Member
    IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Ok, how many times do you want to contradict yourself?

    Here are direct quotes in order in this thread. They are not taken out of context because it is clear that you are talking about your interpretation of the fire department's inaction.

    Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    I didn't see them step up and drive any of those 500 busses.
    Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    I never said the Fire Department SHOULD drive the buses.
    Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    I said what I said implying that maybe they should have.
    Gotcha!

    Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    And you obviously did not read what I wrote.
    Obviously I read it a little better than you did.
    Are you going to accuse me of taking that quote out of context too???

    LIAR!
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  3. #78
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ChiefReason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Illinois-where pertnear is close enough!
    Posts
    5,636

    Default

    parafire:
    It appears that it is no longer ChiefReason or GeorgeWendt out to get you.
    Let me ask you: is there an echo from where you are right now?
    I mean; you have dug yourself so deep into a hole that I thought, acoustically, there might be an echo...or people talking Chinese!(From the phrase "digging all the way to China. I forget that you might be too young to remember that one)
    Shoot the left. Cover up. Jab. Keep moving your feet...
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

  4. #79
    Forum Member
    KnightnPBIArmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Beautiful downtown Hortense, GA
    Posts
    745

    Default

    [QUOTE=parafire81]
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor

    I know that in my city's disaster plan, the FD is responsible for assisting in the evacuation process, and conducting door to door notification. Funny how in the 3 hours it took us to get to the airport from downtown, I never saw one engine company or other department apparatus out on the street actively assisting in the evacuation process.
    Let me get this straight: it took you three hours to get from downtown NO to the airport...that time frame tells me that you were stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and it has been awhile since I have been to NOLA, but I believe that the downtown-to-airport route is mostly Interstate-type road, correct? If that is the case, please explain to me how in the wide world of sports you can state unequivocally that the NOFD WASN'T helping with evacuations and/or door-to-door notifications? Did you peel out of traffic and visit every side street and neighbor before you make this declaration?

  5. #80
    Permanently Removed

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    158

    Default

    [QUOTE=KnightnPBIArmor]
    Quote Originally Posted by parafire81

    Let me get this straight: it took you three hours to get from downtown NO to the airport...that time frame tells me that you were stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and it has been awhile since I have been to NOLA, but I believe that the downtown-to-airport route is mostly Interstate-type road, correct? If that is the case, please explain to me how in the wide world of sports you can state unequivocally that the NOFD WASN'T helping with evacuations and/or door-to-door notifications? Did you peel out of traffic and visit every side street and neighbor before you make this declaration?
    You're absolutely right, I didn't see the whole city. But, from my hotel, drove by two stations with all trucks in quarters....never saw one fire truck anywhere.

    Perhaps I am making a generalized assumption...I'll give you that, but considering what this storm was played out to be 36 hours prior to landfall, I would surely think that atleast every station would have atleast one company out assisting with the evacuation.

    As I have said before, yes, I may be monday-morning quarterbacking, but we are ALL guilty of that at one point or another in this thread!

  6. #81
    Forum Member
    IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    Perhaps I am making a generalized assumption...
    There you go assuming again. Do you see how the assumption game works? You only see a few pieces of information and apply your interpretation to the whole situation. You see the apparatus sitting in the bays as you drive by two firehouses. You go off and assume that they must not be doing anything at all or whatever they are doing is wrong. But then again, why not assume that they have already completed door to door notifications in their districts (if they were ordered to do so) and were back at the station making preparations for the coming storm?

    See, you just don't know... So quit already.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. John Kerry the Guy
    By StoveBolt in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 07:44 PM
  2. What kind of person was Bush as a student?
    By scfire86 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 06:39 PM
  3. 60 minutes of lies with Dan Rathers?
    By StoveBolt in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 10:42 AM
  4. Kerry Plays Race Card
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 04:09 PM
  5. Bush AWOL from National Guard
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register