Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber tyler101's Avatar

Default Bush faces new questions on relief

http://news.yahoo.com

Rescue crews prepared to speed up the retrieval of the dead from Hurricane Katrina on Friday amid reports that President George W. Bush chose unqualified political supporters rather than disaster experts to head the agency leading the relief effort.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has hired a private firm to coordinate the recovery of bodies in and around New Orleans. The official death toll from the monster storm that hit Louisiana and Mississippi has exceeded 300 but is expected to climb much higher. Officials have 25,000 body bags on hand.

Water levels were slowly falling in a city still flooded with a toxic brew of dark-brown water poisoned by bacteria, gasoline, oil, chemicals, debris and submerged bodies. A fifth of the city's 75 major drainage pumps were back in operation draining fetid water from the city, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported on Friday.

Rescuers were still going door-to-door in New Orleans neighborhoods, trying to persuade reluctant stragglers to evacuate and were soon expected to begin removing people by force. Thousands of people were still believed to be holding out in the city.

Officials said there were fewer fires than in recent days, with 11 on Thursday, the Times-Picayune reported.

POLITICAL TIES TO BUSH

The Washington Post reported that five of the top eight FEMA officials had little experience in handling disasters and owed their jobs to their political ties to Bush.

As political operatives took the top jobs, professionals and experts in hurricanes and disasters left the agency, the newspaper said.

FEMA director Michael Brown, already under fire for his performance as the disaster unfolded, came under further pressure when Time magazine reported that his official biography released by the White House at the time of his nomination exaggerated his experience in disaster relief.

Brown was a friend of former Bush campaign director Joe Allbaugh, the previous FEMA head. Brown had also headed an Arabian horse association. Last week, as criticism of his response to the disaster swelled, Bush gave him a public vote of confidence, saying, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Brown's biography on the FEMA Web site said he had once served as an "assistant city manager with emergency services oversight," but Time quoted an official in Edmond, Oklahoma, as saying the job was actually "assistant to the city manager," with little responsibility. The magazine also said Brown padded his academic accomplishments.

"The assistant is more like an intern," city spokeswoman Claudia Deakins told the magazine. "Department heads did not report to him."

In response to the report on Time's Web site, FEMA issued a statement that took issue with elements related to an unofficial biography, and described his job in Edmond as "assistant to the city manager."

Bush administration officials were busy rushing fresh aid to the region while also trying to blunt the political fallout over the federal response to what, at an estimated $100 billion to $200 billion, could be the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history.

A Pew Research Center poll found 67 percent of Americans thought Bush could have done more to speed up relief efforts, and just 28 percent believed he did all he could. The president's approval rating fell to 40 percent, down four points since July to the lowest point Pew has recorded.

Colin Powell, the former U.S. secretary of state and a possible leader for Hurricane Katrina recovery efforts, criticized the disaster response by all levels of government in an interview to be broadcast on Friday.

'ENOUGH WARNING'

"There was more than enough warning over time about the dangers to New Orleans. Not enough was done. I don't think advantage was taken of the time that was available to us, and I just don't know why," Powell said in excerpts of the "20/20" program interview posted to the ABC Web site.

The task of retrieving and identifying bodies promised to be grim and difficult. Many were feared to be trapped in the poor, blue-collar subdivisions of the city, where people had no means to evacuate ahead of the storm.

Many corpses have decomposed. Poor people may not have dental records useful in identification. And family members of the dead have scattered across the entire country.

The president sent Vice President Dick Cheney to Mississippi and Louisiana on Thursday to help untangle bureaucratic red tape that had triggered complaints from some of the 1 million people displaced by the storm.

Cheney rode through the streets of downtown New Orleans in a Humvee, the highest-ranking Bush administration official to visit the shattered city center.

Asked about bureaucratic problems, Cheney said: "I think the progress we're making is significant. I think the performance in general at least in terms of the information I've received from locals is definitely very impressive."

Congress on Thursday pushed through approval for $51.8 billion in new aid, after an earlier $10.5 billion was exhausted in the first days since the storm hit on August 29.

Bush immediately signed the measure. "More resources will be needed as we work to help people get back on their feet," he said.

Bush also issued an executive order on Thursday allowing federal contractors rebuilding in the aftermath of the hurricane to pay below the prevailing wage, drawing rebukes from two congressional Democrats who said stricken families need good wages to rebuild their lives.

Brown has just been sent back to D.C. by Chertoff. I would be surprised if lasts another day as FEMA director.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Brown has just been sent back to D.C. by Chertoff. I would be surprised if lasts another day as FEMA director.
    He had to know it was coming. When both Hillary Clinton and Trent Lott are gunning for you, there isn't much chance of survival.

Permanently Removed hoseheadmaps's Avatar

good read :

the blames spreading faster then the water did:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168846,00.html

So where are these "new questions"??
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

WASHINGTON - President Bush's job approval has dipped below 40 percent for the first time in the AP-Ipsos poll, reflecting widespread doubts about his handling of gasoline prices and the response to Hurricane Katrina.

Nearly four years after Bush's job approval soared into the 80s after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, Bush was at 39 percent job approval in an AP-Ipsos poll taken this week. That's the lowest since the the poll was started in December 2003.

The public's view of the nation's direction has grown increasingly negative as well, with nearly two-thirds now saying the country is heading down the wrong track.

"As a nation, we are pretty well stretched," said Barry Allen, a political independent from Reed City, Mich. "I approve of some of the things the president has done, and disapprove of others. Overall, I disapprove."

Allen said he liked some of Bush's economic steps during his first term but has been dissatisfied with the president's economic moves in his second term, his Iraq policy and his handling of gasoline prices.

Allen worries Hurricane Katrina has taken the wind out of an economy that was moving in the right direction.

With gasoline racing past $3 a gallon, Bush's standing on dealing with those prices may be one of his biggest problems ó seven in 10 said they disapprove.

And just over half in the poll, 52 percent, said they disapprove of the president's handling of the hurricane.

For Bill Kane of Kingsland, Ga., the government's slow response to the hurricane "was terrifying to see in our own country. It made you mad, because it made you think where's our money going?"

More evidence of problems with the storm response surfaced Friday when the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced it would discontinue a 2-day-old program to issue debit cards worth to displaced families.

The administration also dumped FEMA Director Michael Brown, who had come to symbolize the stumbling early days of the hurricane response, as commander of Katrina relief efforts.

Brown once served as the judges and stewards commissioner for the International Arabian Horse Association.

"Bush puts people in jobs who don't know what they're doing," said Shirley Carignan, a retiree and a political independent from Weymouth, Mass. "I think he's picking friends for these jobs. My girlfriend raises Arabians. You know horses, so what? Horses and people are different things."

The number of people who think the country is on the wrong track grew from 59 percent last month to 65 percent this month. Tumbling consumer confidence after Hurricane Katrina may be contributing to that sense of pessimism.

The RBC CASH Index, based on polling by Ipsos, showed that consumer confidence sank in September to the lowest level since early March 2003 before the start of the Iraq war.

Economic woes and a continuing war in Iraq have been complicated by the continuing hurricane recovery crisis.

"A lot of Americans don't pay attention to their leaders on a day-to-day basis," said Robert Blendon, a public opinion analyst at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government. "They measure presidents, governors and mayors on how they handle big events like a hurricane. This event is not over because the bodies are going to be discovered day by day."

View The Poll:
    http://www.ipsos-na.com/news/pa/presidentialRatings.cfm
    Last edited by tyler101; 09-10-2005 at 11:58 AM.

Forum Member

Why is any one surpirsed Bush made this a whole snafu? The guy is a moron after all.

Permanently Removed

Tyler and Squad:

Ya better be careful....ChiefReason and GeorgeWendtCFI will be after ya. Your talking about their hero poorly!

I learned the hard way in another Katrina thread!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by squad546
    Why is any one surpirsed Bush made this a whole snafu? The guy is a moron after all.

I am very surprised that anyone is still so naive or ignorant to just follow the talking points of the press and leftist. The mayor knew this was coming and let 100+ buses sit and ruin and then criticize for people not being evacuated.

The governor is offered by POTUS immediate fed response and she wants 24 hours to decide. There was a convoy of food and water bound for the Superdome that was stopped and detained by the governor's office.

The true federal response is much quicker than any previous major storm.

Sure there were problems at all levels but to completly give a pass to everyone with a "D" after their name and dump everything on the President is absurd.

Try doing some independent research and stop being spoon fed spin from the left. As time goes on this attempt to blame the President for everything from now at will developing and sending in hurricanes to destroy poor people will begin to look more pathetic each passing day.

There is also the lie blowing around that the President didn't send enough money in the past for levee maintenance. No one tells you that more money was alloted in Bush's 4 years than Clinton's 8 years. So who is it that doesn't care about the poor of New Orleans?

I know that libs can't stand to face the truth because of their blind hatred for Bush. I'm sure most thought "Oh boy we have got him now" Well I must tell you-- you struck out AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    Tyler and Squad:

Ya better be careful....ChiefReason and GeorgeWendtCFI will be after ya. Your talking about their hero poorly!

I see that you and Tyler were born in 1981 and 1982...why do I get the feeling you two are merely spouting the position that MTV tells your generation is the one that is "hip" to go along with? Heck, all Tyler can do is cut and paste whatever Leftist tripe he finds while browsing the net. Do you even know what a "Leftist" is? And Squad apparently seems to think President Bush can control the weather, since according to him Bush is the one who caused This "snafu" And speaking of the other thread there, Junior: you never answered my question about whether you actually voted in the last two elections or not....

MembersZone Subscriber

OK enough with the they had all these buses sitting around, lets say you could have found enough people qualified to drive them you had 100,000 people approx this means you would have needed 1333 hundred trips at 75 people per bus out of the city to get them to safety I very much doubt this would have happened. Also I think a lot of people forget that the storm itself passed to the east and the weather gods were telling everyone that NO lucked out again. As far as who is at fault the list will be long with names from the city to the feds. As far as who cared more about whom with money spent where, face it politics is all about greasing palms it one big corrupt system no matter which side controls Washington. This is my opinion not to construed with anyone elses. Yes I still vote for whom I think will do the best even with the above mention comment.
    GFIRE

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gfowlston
    OK enough with the they had all these buses sitting around, lets say you could have found enough people qualified to drive them you had 100,000 people approx this means you would have needed 1333 hundred trips at 75 people per bus out of the city to get them to safety I very much doubt this would have happened. Also I think a lot of people forget that the storm itself passed to the east and the weather gods were telling everyone that NO lucked out again. As far as who is at fault the list will be long with names from the city to the feds. As far as who cared more about whom with money spent where, face it politics is all about greasing palms it one big corrupt system no matter which side controls Washington. This is my opinion not to construed with anyone elses. Yes I still vote for whom I think will do the best even with the above mention comment.
    Enough with the busses? Why? It's a fact, and the basic reason that 100,000 people were left without transportation after an evacuation order. You also better check your math again, since they had more than 1 bus.

There were over 500 busses sitting in the flooded lot, and since they were part of the city's plan yet unused, it's absolutely a pertinent point. Let's look at the math for 500 buses at 75 per bus (you wnat to bet you could get more than that in there under the circumstances?) that's 37,500 per trip. Three trips would have more than covered the 100,000 people. Even had they not gotten everybody out prior to the storm preventing travel, these busses would have been in a safe area, and capable of reinitiating evac after the storm passed.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    Tyler and Squad:

Nope. You didn't learn a damned thing.
    You must think that politics is only played out in the newspaper and on television.
    I haven't missed voting in elections since I was eighteen.
    And just to dispel your myth that I'm a flag waving republican; it just so happens that I voted as a democrat right up to Jimmy Carter. But you wouldn't remember him. You weren't born yet!
    Does the name Aaron Schock mean anything to you? No?
    Well, he is your age. He was elected to the Peoria School board when he was 18 and was just elected to the Illinois state legislature as a state representative at the ripe old age of 23! As a Republican! AND, he has already co-sponsored fire service legislation.
    And you want to talk politics!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

President Bush took responsibility for the federal response. I applaud him for doing so. I also applaud the appointment of Paulison. Mayor Nagin needs to take responsibility for the City's response. Governor Blanco needs to take responsibility for the state response. All of us in the emergency services can use lessons learned from this catastrophe to strenghten our own plans.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

President Bush took responsibility for the federal response. I applaud him for doing so. I also applaud the appointment of Paulison. Mayor Nagin needs to take responsibility for the City's response. Governor Blanco needs to take responsibility for the state response. All of us in the emergency services can use lessons learned from this catastrophe to strenghten our own plans.
    You beat me to it Mikey. I saw this on the Yahoo front page and was going to post it. Some may say this effort is too little too late, but I believe that if one can learn from mistakes and move on then we are making progress. Now lets see if Mayor Nagin and Govenor Blanco can learn from theirs.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor
    I see that you and Tyler were born in 1981 and 1982...why do I get the feeling you two are merely spouting the position that MTV tells your generation is the one that is "hip" to go along with? Heck, all Tyler can do is cut and paste whatever Leftist tripe he finds while browsing the net. Do you even know what a "Leftist" is? And Squad apparently seems to think President Bush can control the weather, since according to him Bush is the one who caused This "snafu" And speaking of the other thread there, Junior: you never answered my question about whether you actually voted in the last two elections or not....
    I may be from the MTV generation but that does not mean I follow the "hip" thing to do. Hell, I don't even watch MTV; just a bunch of crap. I have voted in every election that I have been able to, even though it is not near the number of some as you. I take a very active role in politics. I attend every single City Council meeting, regularly watch School Board meetings and read articles in the newspaper and online frequently. Just because of my age does not mean I am a Zombie that follows the masses. I have my own mind and own opinions. You do not see me arguing incessantly on these forums about who others should vote for and who others should believe in.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Absolutely, Mikey. That's exactly why there needs to be an honest and factual after action analysis done by people that aren't politically motivated. Hopefully, we can all learn from the shortcomings in this incident, regardless of where they originated or the politics of the person or persons responsible.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by tyler101
    I may be from the MTV generation but that does not mean I follow the "hip" thing to do. Hell, I don't even watch MTV; just a bunch of crap. I have voted in every election that I have been able to, even though it is not near the number of some as you. I take a very active role in politics. I attend every single City Council meeting, regularly watch School Board meetings and read articles in the newspaper and online frequently. Just because of my age does not mean I am a Zombie that follows the masses. I have my own mind and own opinions. You do not see me arguing incessantly on these forums about who others should vote for and who others should believe in.
    No; you do what's popular. You follow the crowd and you believe that you can't trust anyone older than you.
    I've seen it a thousand times. Wasted youth.
    That reminds me of a song.
    Tyler; be honest. You're upset because you couldn't get a date with Jenna Bush, aren't you?
    I studied political science at college. I was ON our city council. My wife works for the school and prepares the school board minutes. I am an elected fire district trustee AND I still play my music loud.
    But I wear bifocals. Dammit.
    Anyway; open your mind a bit. GWB is theoretically a "lame duck" president and he's still out there kickin' it.
    Give him just a little credit.
    Just a crumb.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    No; you do what's popular. You follow the crowd and you believe that you can't trust anyone older than you.
    I've seen it a thousand times. Wasted youth.
    That reminds me of a song.
    Tyler; be honest. You're upset because you couldn't get a date with Jenna Bush, aren't you?
    I studied political science at college. I was ON our city council. My wife works for the school and prepares the school board minutes. I am an elected fire district trustee AND I still play my music loud.
    But I wear bifocals. Dammit.
    Anyway; open your mind a bit. GWB is theoretically a "lame duck" president and he's still out there kickin' it.
    Give him just a little credit.
    Just a crumb.
    CR
    No, I don't do what's "popular"; No, I don't follow the crowd; and HELL NO, I'm not ****ed about not getting a "date" with Jenna Bush. (I have much better taste thank you). To follow the crowd on this forum would be to continue to **** and moan back and forth about political parties. And as for "wasted youth"; look further, I'm not your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler101
    No, I don't do what's "popular"; No, I don't follow the crowd; and HELL NO, I'm not ****ed about not getting a "date" with Jenna Bush. (I have much better taste thank you). To follow the crowd on this forum would be to continue to **** and moan back and forth about political parties. And as for "wasted youth"; look further, I'm not your subject.
    So; you DON'T trust anyone older than you! I knew it.
    It seems you think that expressing views different from your's is "****ing and moaning"?
    And apparently, your young age can't discern what is sarcasm.
    You are too wily, savvy and serious for me.
    I will leave you to the others.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Thread Information