MembersZone Subscriber

Default FEMA Director Mike Brown to step down

FEMA director Michael Brown being sent back to Washington.

Homeland Security Director Chertoff to announce new leader for on-the-ground Katrina relief efforts.

News Breaking on all major networks.

Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sconfire

Homeland Security Director Chertoff to announce new leader for on-the-ground Katrina relief efforts.

Thank god..hopefully if any of this happens again, which I don't hope it does, the response will be for the correct things, and immediate...not five days after, and then to ask for assisstance from different departments across the country to hand out flyers....anyway before I start ranting, hopefully some good will come of this dumbass being "removed"
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Just like wars...those in charge at the start of the war are'nt charge at the end...
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Disillusioned Subscriber

I hope they do a complete overhaul of FEMA, and get some people with emergency response experience under their belts. Brown isn't the sole problem. What about the people under him that were supposed to be providing him "advice"? If they're only going to replace him with another political hack, what's the point? At least with Brown, we knew we had a dud.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by martinm
    Just like wars...those in charge at the start of the war are'nt charge at the end...
    I wonder how many more "heads will roll" before this is over? How many scapegoats can one event create?

**Before I get jumped on for that last question, it was meant more as a rhetorical question and in no way reflects support or lack of support for anyone who wears the hot seat in an emergency situation. I know that there are some who do deserve to be 'removed' from office.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I say we leave logistics to FEMA. Let them plan stuff, but I think this recovery effort was salvaged by the military and they should be in charge of large catastrophes of this nature. Let them do operations. Whether or not it puts you to sleep when you think about it, if NIMS was actually being used properly from the begining, this wouldn't have happened. Its foundation was not established, therefor the federal government couldn't just come in and take over. The military has been using an Incident Management System for ever. Let them do what they are good at.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a thought, not by any means standing up for anybody, but FEMA walked into a cluster. Just like anything, if it's disorganized and a cluster to begin with, it's going to stay that way until someone can get in to take it over and say "this is how it's going to be."

Personnally, I think they're starting with cutting off the wrong head. Brown may not have done things right, but things were majorly screwed up from the get go, before Katrina even hit land.

Maybe a lot of people will learn from this and revisit their EOPs, attend various training, and actually be prepared and take the actions needed when they're needed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    Just a thought, not by any means standing up for anybody, but FEMA walked into a cluster. Just like anything, if it's disorganized and a cluster to begin with, it's going to stay that way until someone can get in to take it over and say "this is how it's going to be."

Personnally, I think they're starting with cutting off the wrong head. Brown may not have done things right, but things were majorly screwed up from the get go, before Katrina even hit land.

Maybe a lot of people will learn from this and revisit their EOPs, attend various training, and actually be prepared and take the actions needed when they're needed.

From what I'm hearing, they aren't axing him because he did stuff wrong in the incident. They're cutting him loose because they found out he had absolutely no qualifications to be in the position. I also heard there were four other members, of the 8 on the board, that are being investigated for qualifications, or lack of them. I wonder who hired them.......?

Forum Member

Exclamation

Not so sure if Mike Brown is to blame. He sure didn't have the back ground for this, but not many FEMA Directors have! He will in all likey hood be terminated.

The blame begins with the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana. Had they done their job correctly and utilized the Emergency Operations Plan correctly and effectively they might not have had all the problems with the people of the City and area not being evacuated. They let the City and State down.

Had they used the school buses that sat in the yard and the Greyhound coaches that were offered to them, the major part of the evacuees would have been out of the city when the storm hit and the levies let go.

This is a BIG learning lesson for them and for every one else.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TrentonFF
    From what I'm hearing, they aren't axing him because he did stuff wrong in the incident. They're cutting him loose because they found out he had absolutely no qualifications to be in the position. I also heard there were four other members, of the 8 on the board, that are being investigated for qualifications, or lack of them. I wonder who hired them.......?
    I hear what you're saying, maybe our gov't should do better background checks and actually start checking references. I've also heard the media mention lack of experience, but who outside of those in NY or OKC have experience with major disasters?

I had the (I hate to use the term, but since I learned so much I will) fortune to be involved with the initial response to the May 2003 tornado that struck
    Pierce City, MO. I actually was involved with the command of that incident, primarily EMS. With the lack of experience, EOP, and comms, coupled with freelancing responders and people attempting to coordinate efforts from 10 miles away with no comms with IC, it was a huge mess. It took at least 2, maybe even three hours to get things under control and organized.

I can't imagine walking into the NO mess and trying to get it under control.

Forum Member

WHERE DOES IT SAY HE IS STEPPING DOWN?

Don't make a bigger story out of it than it is.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb I Dunno................

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire

Don't make a bigger story out of it than it is.
    Although I know where you're coming from, I've never seen someone get yanked off the Fireground and sent back to the office because they were doing all the right things.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

posted by nmfire
    When I saw it originally on CNN... that is what they were saying. Afterwards they corrected it. I did not have the time to revise my original post because I have been at EOC for the afternoon preparing for this other storm lurking off my coast.

Sorry about the confusion. I do agree with hwoods though... I think you can read into this one REALLY well!

PLUS... he was slated to retire in November after hurricane season. I am sure that is in the bag now.
    Last edited by sconfire; 09-09-2005 at 07:53 PM.

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

he is cancelled............and I agreee he doesnt deserve all the brunt .....but certainly some.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Brown had no business holding the job-he's unqualified. But, it's an appointed position, and that's the nature of politics, right?
    For years FEMA has been chanting "we're here to support the local gov't, not take over". Everyone knew that was the plan. Local and state failed big time, FEMA failed in trusting the locals to know what they were doing. The federal gov't gets blamed for not taking over, but can you imagine the uproar from the state and local pols if they would have? I'll bet the ACLU would have sued!

MembersZone Subscriber

Brown had to go away.
    I'm still not sure about Chertoff.
    Nagin won't get re-elected. He might even get re-called.
    Blanco should step aside and let her Lt. Governor take over.
    The right people are in charge now.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

I'm still not sure about Chertoff.
    I'm in the same boat. Time will tell.

Nagin won't get re-elected. He might even get re-called.
    Your are absolutely right I believe his days are numbered. Although if he keeps shucking and jiving I wouldn't doubt that they put him back. Remember, he's a politician. Stranger things have happened.

I won't even go there with Gov. Blanco. I might have the wrong impression and if I do, I will acknowledge, but my spidey senses are tingling.
    Last edited by spearsm; 09-11-2005 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Feeble attempt to correct spelling

Forum Member

I lost faith in Chertoff when he said in a live press confrence: "we are not aware of anyone at the convetion center." He was either lying or a fool.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Well, all i gota say is, if you cant do better dont criticise.

Why dont you fire all the state emergency staff members that VIOLATED their own SOP! What is a plan worth if you dont follow it???
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Mikey,You really wouldn't have to stretch Toooo far to "do better".Even if you got one more bus in early or another boat you "did better".Whereda govment?Why de govnment not here helping me? That stuff gets old.When we were up to our ears in ice,we had the State half sawed out and lines restrung before we saw much of "the government".Without importing much help.If you're going to designate a bldg a shelter,what four basic elements need to be in place to do so? Enough generator to run life support(Lights,heating/AC,other electric devices)Logistics(cots,water,food)for a period of say 4-5 days,and enough support staff to make it work.See any of these items missing in New Orleans? Therefore they didn't have anything beyond a "safe haven"that really wasn't.A lot of good will probably come out of this once it all gets sorted out.And I'm glad the brothers(and sisters)in the devastated areas are starting to get the help and support they need to keep going.It's going to be a long uphill battle. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-12-2005 at 04:21 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Mikey,You really wouldn't have to stretch Toooo far to "do better".Even if you got one more bus in early or another boat you "did better".Whereda govment?Why de govnment not here helping me? That stuff gets old.When we were up to our ears in ice,we had the State half sawed out and lines restrung before ve saw much of "the government".Without importing much help.If you're going to designate a bldg a shelter,what four basic elements need to be in place to do so? Enough generator to run life support(Lights,heating/AC,other electric devices)Logistics(cots,water,food)for a period of say 4-5 days,and enough support staff to make it work.See any of these items missing in New Orleans? Therefore they didn't have anything beyond a "safe haven"that really wasn't.A lot of good will probably come out of this once it all gets sorted out.And I'm glad the brothers(and sisters)in the devastated areas are starting to get the help and support they need to keep going.It's going to be a long uphill battle. T.C.
    Of course you did.

You were prepared. You had a plan. You had officials who executed the plan. You had people who were not sitting around waiting for handouts. You had people who take responsibility and go out and do things to help themselves. You had leaders who stayed in the game, rolled up their sleeves and dug in, instead of passing blame onto the federal government.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sconfire

According to News Reports... Brown has resigned as FEMA Director.

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

George, How come when you write it,it looks better? I found it hard to believe that when you live 10' below level water that one wouldn't have made at least some preparations for such an event.I think a lot of good will come out of this tragedy but I'd bet some heads will roll as well. T.C.

Forum Member

Where does one get experience handling major natural disasters?I am sure that my Chief,yours nor any of the senior folks here got to where they did without having a few stumbles on the way as they learned how to handle things that didn't happen the way they were thought to possibly go.
    A lot of what happened in NOLA was the result of the locals not being prepeared for supplying the people with food,water and sanitation for 72 hours like FEMA advises will be needed in its plans.
    City and county FDs preplan for fires so we don't get caught flatfooted or at least AS flatfooted as if the call comes in and no one knows jack about it.
    There was three days warning that Katrina could cross over Florida and gain strength before going to the Gulf Coast.
    Alabama and Mississippi were hit but since they prepared better,there weren't as many displaced people on TV screaming about not being cared about.
    They took the same lumps and are going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    I hear what you're saying, maybe our gov't should do better background checks and actually start checking references. I've also heard the media mention lack of experience, but who outside of those in NY or OKC have experience with major disasters?

I had the (I hate to use the term, but since I learned so much I will) fortune to be involved with the initial response to the May 2003 tornado that struck
    Pierce City, MO. I actually was involved with the command of that incident, primarily EMS. With the lack of experience, EOP, and comms, coupled with freelancing responders and people attempting to coordinate efforts from 10 miles away with no comms with IC, it was a huge mess. It took at least 2, maybe even three hours to get things under control and organized.

I can't imagine walking into the NO mess and trying to get it under control.
    Last edited by doughesson; 09-12-2005 at 05:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

A firefighter who's part of FEMA is replacing Brown. This is absolutely the most intelligent thing Bush has ever done. I didn't think he had it in him. Five years and one really smart decision-by God, it's a start!

Thread Information