Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default FEMA Chief Relieved of Katrina Duties

FEMA Chief Relieved of Katrina Duties

By LARA JAKES JORDAN
    The Associated Press
    Friday, September 9, 2005; 1:35 PM

WASHINGTON -- Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, where he was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster, according to two federal officials who declined to be identified before the announcement.

OFFICIAL BIOGRAPHY
    FEMA Director Michael D. Brown's Official Biography

Brown will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad w. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts.

Brown has been under fire because of the administration's slow response to the magnitude of the hurricane. On Thursday, questions were raised about whether he padded his resume to highlight his previous emergency management background.

Less than an hour before Brown's removal came to light, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Brown had not resigned and the president had not asked for his resignation.

McClellan did not directly answer a question about whether the president had full confidence in Brown.

"We appreciate all those who are working round the clock, and that's the way I would answer it," he said.

Amid escalating calls for Brown's ouster, the White House had insisted publicly for days that Bush retained confidence in his FEMA chief. But there was no question that Brown's star was fading in the administration. In the storm's early days, Brown was the president's primary briefer on its path and the response effort, but by the weekend those duties had been taken over by Brown's boss _ Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

Also, while Brown was very visibly by the president's side during Bush's first on-the-ground visit to the hurricane zone last week, he remained behind the scenes _ with Chertoff out front _ when the president went back on Monday.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ya, I just saw that posted on a Fox news telecast.

Also, while Brown was very visibly by the president's side during Bush's first on-the-ground visit to the hurricane zone last week, he remained behind the scenes _ with Chertoff out front _ when the president went back on Monday.
    Like a buddy of mine back home would say: "F***, Fight or Hold the Light!" In other words it doesnt matter what you do... just DO something.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Just 12 days too late to have a positive impact.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

And now most of what you see on the news broadcasts and on internet news sites is headlines about sending him back to DC.
    Gone are the big headlines about what is actually happening on the ground. Now there are just a few quick mentions and shots of the disaster zone.
    It is a dammmm shame that the media is only after what they think is the biggest story of the moment.....
    They need to have dozens of crews crawling through the piles with the rescue and rebuilding workers.
    Like has been said many times, it is a shame that politics and the story of the moment is what the American people get fed instead of what is really going on.
    I guess another big headline they will use will be about the body count when it is given to them.
    The sharks are circleling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tyler

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ttjjss
    I guess another big headline they will use will be about the body count when it is given to them.
    When it is determined, why shouldn't the body count become a big story?

MembersZone Subscriber

Who was the three star general that was brought to right the ship?

Large and incharge/Direct and to the point
    Last edited by brianmark; 09-09-2005 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
    workharder

Forum Member

Coz,
    Yes, the body count is news, But I dont like seeing all the different media outlets using it to compete against each other. Tonight on every channel it sounds like a different guessing game is going on. To me it sounds like they are treating it as a contest to see who can get the closest to guessing the total number.
    I finally saw some good coverage tonight on PBS of all places, of some of "the rest" of the victims . They went through the streets of Gulfport and then headed north through some of the small towns that were either destroyed or the ones that have some damage but are still set up with medical and evacuee centers. The vast majority of them STILL havent had much if any help from any of the big groups but are surviving more on local folks and the people who just happen to find them .I think the one town was Kiln? about the only supplies they had got were some brought in by some of the people in different parts of the south who had fundraisers to load a truck, then drove until they found a place that needed it, Bypassing the FEMA gridlock and taking it to where it is needed.
    Tonight the news stories are back on some of the groundwork, mainly New Orleans of course but the first headline at the top and bottom of the hour is sending Brown back to DC. Just another political move to try and get the bullseye off the Whitehouse.
    Tyler

Forum Member

Default Media likes to use Body Count tactics

And there isn't any use in it at this phase. It is more likely part of Their attack strategy, to influence opinion. Perhaps that what happened to Brown. We know that a full review of all activities will come someday, and this is routine also (PIA) to review things. I don't know of any FEMA difficulties in this Crisis, though people are pointing at each other. All levels of government entities get into rubs with each other. It even happened at a local Shelter recently. The Fireguys just wanted to make it all work.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sevenfingers
    And there isn't any use in it at this phase. It is more likely part of Their attack strategy, to influence opinion.
    So, you really think that the media has a plan to influence opinion? Why? What would be the benefit to the media?

Thread Information