Forum Member

Default Seatbelts vs AirBags

Seems everyone's a fan of the belt....not too late to cast your vote !

http://usfirefighters.net/polls.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Seat belts all the way.
    This is my opinion and in no way represtents the opinion of my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Airbags are not designed to be used alone. Which is why they're called supplemental restraint systems. If I had to choose between just an airbag or just a seatbelt which is how I interpret this poll, I'd choose seatbelt. But a combination of the 2 is the most effective in preventing injuries.

Forum Member

Gotta love the cars from the late 80s and early 90s with the auto shoulder belt.

People still don't seem to understand the concept of using the lap belt along with it though.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Both are needed to work.
    Still,I love my niecelings' faces when I tell them how I used to ride from Memphis to Oklahoma or Alabama in the back of the station wagon and nothing holding me down.
    They can't comprehend a time when the kids weren't considered too good to go through the windshield with the rest of the family.

FIGJAM

It still amazes me that you guys don't have laws that enforce the wearing of seatbelts. We've had them Australia wide since the early 70's,
    Luke

Forum Member

Lutan,

Many states have them (because federal trasnportation funds are involved) but they are not a "primary" offense.

That means a police officer cannot stop you if he sees you not wearing a seat belt. However if you are pulled over for speeding, and they talk to you and you aren't wearing one that is different.

Me? I say if you are an adult and want to die, go ahead - we need the organs. But it burns my ba!!s to see kids crawling all over the inside of a car driving down the highway. The kids just don't know any better, and need adults to teach them what is the right thing to do.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

A law enforcement friend here in my neck of the woods of missouri told me that they CAN pull you over if they spot you not wearing a seat belt, BUT.......most do not because then they would be pulling over every other car practically. That is how it is in missouri, I don't know about other states. We passed a bill not too long ago that put this into law. I wear mine all the time anyways so I don't worry about it too much.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Thread Information