Forum Member

Default Freightliner/Daimler - Chrysler put American LaFrance up for sale

http://www.emsnetwork.org/artman/pub...le_18440.shtml

http://www.freightliner.com/news/pre...il.aspx?id=457

http://www.americanlafrance.com/inte...p=4&s=22&a=121

Freightliner LLC will divest its American LaFrance fire and emergency services manufacturing business unit.
    The company is currently in discussion with a number of parties who have expressed an interest in acquiring the assets of ALF. Several organizations have emerged as likely investors, Freightliner says, adding that further details will be released as the company reaches a final deal.

A total of 528 direct and salaried jobs will be affected.

Based in Ladson, S.C., American LaFrance was acquired by the Freightliner organization in 1995 as part of a corporate expansion. Freightliner, a DaimlerChrysler subsidiary, controls Freightliner Trucks, Sterling, and Western Star commercial vehicle units.

ALF is the fifth largest fire and emergency services vehicle producer in the US, with a heritage dating back 173 years. It makes chassis, aerials, ambulances, pumpers, rescues and tankers.

Freightliner President and CEO Chris Patterson said that, as part of A product portfolio review, the company determined that the fire apparatus business will not continue as a core business of the group in future.

"While the company has been driving improvement programs in recent times and we believe the American LaFrance business has growth and profitability potential, we also believe this potential can be better realized by a company that has a focus on ALF's core markets," he said in a press release. "ALF will continue to require the services of an experienced workforce and capable management. Of course, Freightliner intends that all current market obligations will be fulfilled, as well as ensuring that current customers of ALF continue to receive the service and support that they have come to expect."

Patterson said that while the successful buyer would be expected to acquire ALF's manufacturing and distribution infrastructure, the Ladson facility was not part of the sale and would remain a DaimlerChrysler asset. Freightliner still intends to utilize the 460,000 sq. ft. plant and office building, situated just north of Charleston, for other purposes in its commercial vehicle business.

Two current ALF manufacturing facilities, at Hamburg NY and Casper WY are to take on the production of bodies which are being transferred from Ladson as part of an internal restructuring program.

"It is possible the new owner may seek to continue cab and chassis production at Ladson and perhaps retain a number of jobs through 2006 for this purpose," Patterson said. "In the meantime, we are committed to transferring the body assembly operation out of the Ladson plant to meet operational and financial restructuring goals."

He estimated the market for fire apparatus in NAFTA to be $1.5 billion -- now recovering from weaker demand when municipalities faced difficult financial conditions earlier in the decade.

"Despite the occasional cycle," he said, "the market for custom fire apparatus is expected to grow based on the need for more fire trucks, technology advances, increased federal funding for Homeland Security, and the need to replace older fire equipment."

----------------------------------------------------------------

So how do you think this is going to shake out?

Will someone buy the company or will they just go into the annals of another fire apparatus manufacturer lore?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Cool alf

Who knows but I wonder what will happen to those places that have ALF units and if they will get any support, service or parts. I've seen big outfits bought just to be placed out of service to eliminate competition.

Forum Member

It would seem that reading the release shows that whoever buys the company buys the infrastructure.

Legally, I imagine that they buy the warranties on any rigs out there as well - one way or the other. It does put places like Philly that bought a lot of ALF rigs in an interesting position. Even worse for the smaller towns potentially.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    It would seem that reading the release shows that whoever buys the company buys the infrastructure.

Legally, I imagine that they buy the warranties on any rigs out there as well - one way or the other. It does put places like Philly that bought a lot of ALF rigs in an interesting position. Even worse for the smaller towns potentially.

My former department bought an FMC right before they stopped producing fire apparatus. They were required by law (in Fl at least) to honor all the warranties. We never had a problem getting work done. I can only assume that would be the case with ALF.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    My former department bought an FMC right before they stopped producing fire apparatus. They were required by law (in Fl at least) to honor all the warranties. We never had a problem getting work done. I can only assume that would be the case with ALF.
    I hope so since we have only had our ALF Rescue for a month
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

A lot of the ALF rig is a Freightliner so parts will still be available. Hopefuly they survive the sale. It would be a shame to loose a 173 year tradition.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just bought a brand new ALF tanker , and I mean brand new not even 200 miles on it yet. Hope to see all this get worked out just fine , it's a beautiful truck.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

We've got 2 ALF engines, about 7 years old now. We bought them partially due to a new Freightliner franchise opening nearby that would cover the warranty work and later maintenance. The trucks were so bad that the Freightliner dealer we were counting on refused to work on them anymore.

BTW, that was a major reason we went to a one source manufacturer after that-ALF kept blaming the body builder, who would blame ALF, resulting in squat getting fixed on the rigs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    BTW, that was a major reason we went to a one source manufacturer after that-ALF kept blaming the body builder, who would blame ALF, resulting in squat getting fixed on the rigs
    Precisely why one should not mix and match builders. Buy all E-One or all Pierce, etc... We ran into this at a former department of mine when an ambulance had an issue. Ford said it was the vendor's problem, but the vendor said it was a chassis issue.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of our rigs are Spartans with someone else's body. NO issues in warranty work for a simple reason: We won't allow it. The body builders in each case included as part of our spec that THEY would administer ALL warranties. They are the single point of contact. The sole source argument is very weak. Fire apparatus are loaded with individual components from various manufacturers. Whether you have a 100% Pierce or a chassis / body / ladder combo from 3 companies you still have a separate warranty for the engine, trans, pump, generator, axles, brakes, etc..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Halligan84
    The sole source argument is very weak. Fire apparatus are loaded with individual components from various manufacturers. Whether you have a 100% Pierce or a chassis / body / ladder combo from 3 companies you still have a separate warranty for the engine, trans, pump, generator, axles, brakes, etc..
    The sole source may be weak, but it is an issue that many deparments face often. I agree with you that the truck is made up of various parts, but those are covered by the individual warranties of the pump manufacturer, body manufacturer, and the chassis manufacturer. All inclusively.

Forum Member

Here in Ca we have this neat law that the final stage mfr is responsible for all warranty so that puts an end to the finger pointing. Often we find it more economical to take it to Cummins ourselves rather than involving the body builder but if they start the blame game that is all it takes. We had an old Ford/Road Rescue ambulance that this happened, the transmission kept failing and they were arguing about whose fault it was, but whosever it was, it was not ours and we did not pay.

Birken

Thread Information