Firefighters in Louisiana will always have a job....

Candle left in closet sparks blaze


Baker-Zachary bureau

BAKER -- An attempt to remove a musty odor from donated clothing caused heavy damage Thursday night to an apartment occupied by a family who fled from the New Orleans area because of Hurricane Katrina, Baker firefighters said.
Someone in the family placed a lighted, scented candle in a closet below the items of clothing, which eventually caught fire and damaged the duplex apartment building at 1120 Seville St. about 9:30 p.m.

Baker firefighters, assisted by Zachary and Brownsfield personnel, extinguished the blaze in a rear bedroom of the apartment, in about 10 minutes, but Baker District Chief John Champagne said the fire caused heat and smoke damage throughout the dwelling.

About two hours after leaving the Seville Street apartment, Baker firefighters were called to another fire in the Camellia Trace Apartments off Groom Road.

Firefighters found that the apartment occupants had extinguished a kitchen fire that caused minor damage to the unit.