Thread: Who's Got What?

Forum Member

We just bought another camera..... a MSA 5200. It will be used in conjunction with the ISI that we currently have.

Forum Member

We recently purchased a Bullard... one of the biggest selling points that got our attention was the apparent durability of the beast. We had demonstrations from a couple different suppliers that came to the station, and most of them were handling the imagers like they were a carton of eggs.

Granted, a fire scene isn't somewhere you'd want to carry a carton of eggs around and not expect a couple broken ones... They explained to us that they could take minor shocks without damage (like maybe dropping it a short distance), but a good jolt would damage the unit. When the guy from Bullard showed up, we handled his demonstrator like the other ones. He promptly asked us why we were trying to be so careful with it... we explained our experience with the last couple we had, and he responded by TOSSING the unit about 8' out on to the concrete floor of the hall, picked it up, turned it on, and showed us that it still worked, then told us that it was a TOOL more than a piece of technology. He then said that any of us were welcome to do the same to test it's durablity.

Of course, there was discussion that care does still need to be taken with any electronic device (obviously), but it could get knocked around a bit and most likely not sustain any damage. The features were good, comparable or exceeding some of the others. We were sold.... and to date, have been completely satisfied with it's operation. I'd be willing to recommend a Bullard to anyone.

Forum Member

That drill's been around as long as Bullard TICs.I don't throw my axe,saw or other tools to the floor,and I'm not going to launch my TIC either.Any of the major players offerings will take a pretty good pounding and still work; I've used just about all of them and they've all been dropped,kicked,or otherwise launched by students who are still learning how to lug all their "stuff".As I've said before and as JB indicates:ANY tool is only as good as it's operator;become proficient at all you do.This includes TIC operation.Learning in this business NEVER stops,make EVERY day a learning day. T,C,

Forum Member

On the subject of detection equipment, anyone else use the less-expensive noncontact thermometers (like Raytek and others) as a supplement to their TIC's?

I've found them to be handy as anything when doing mop-up and on smaller incidents like chimney fires, etc... Nice little tool to have to check the temperature in an area or at a surface (like the side of a chimney pipe or flue)... and a lot more accurate / safer than un-gloving a hand, feeling the surface, and going "wow... that's pretty warm".

Forum Member

Yes, we have a Raytek that comes out everytime we have a fire call

Forum Member

Raytek,tool of many uses.Yes,ours is used in conjunction with the TIC.Along with a lot of other applications. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjb
    Proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...there is so much in here that deserves being addressed, I don't even know where to start.

Let's just say that firefighters should evaluate what is important TO THEM, not the salesperson. If you don't understand what he is selling, then it probably isn't relevant to you.

And to everyone else, since this guy is already a lost ball in tall weeds, remember that color on a TI is COMPLETELY artificial. It has nothing to do with the visual color of an object, it is merely an algorithm assigning a color (instead of gray scale) to a temperature. It started as a marketing thing and the fire service now demands it.
    you hit the nail on the head. the color in my use with the cameras is a neat option but the gray scale gives the best image when there is a fire.

Forum Member

We had a very similar issue a couple of years ago during our evaluations. The competitors didn't want us banging them around too much or getting into any real heat. The Bullard rep had us literally throw the T3 Max across the parking lot as the dismay of the local tech college fire instructors

We tossed, it bounced, it worked! The ISG hardly handled about 10 minutes of the burn room before it failed miserably.

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by meekrol
    you hit the nail on the head. the color in my use with the cameras is a neat option but the gray scale gives the best image when there is a fire.
    I wish that colorization and temperature measurement had never been introduced into fire service TIs. To understand what they actually do and how they actually work can take hours of classroom time. Actual practice to prevent misuse requires even more.

Unfortunately, both options are here to stay. I just suggest to firefighters that they not make any life-critical decisions based on colorization and temperture measurement. Too much can go wrong if you don't understand how they work.

The basic application is if you see yellow/orange/red in a fire environment, that is BAD. For the most part, ignore the temperature indicator as it won't change your tactics 95% of the time.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

I'm with you JB on the temperature indicator.However,if I see yellow,orange or red in my camera it WILL change my tactics.You see we have a gray scale camera and if it's doing colors;I'm leaving Dodge,hehe T.C.

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    I'm with you JB on the temperature indicator.However,if I see yellow,orange or red in my camera it WILL change my tactics.You see we have a gray scale camera and if it's doing colors;I'm leaving Dodge,hehe T.C.
    TC...if you inferred otherwise, I'm sorry...but we are on the same page on color. IF the TI is showing yellow-red colorization in a fire environment, you are in a BAD place that requires immediate action.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Hehe JB,right chapter,wrong page.Note I said I have only GRAY SCALE cameras.If I see colors in the screen,I'm leaving Dodge;it means the Dragon is overtaking me from the rear and I'm pretty protective of my rear.White and gray I can deal with,I DO NOT want to be seeing any colors, T.C.

Thread Information