Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Permanently Removed

Well, if the turn around was ordered for political reasons, that's just horse****, but regardless, they should've asked.

But given this information....

Why in the hell would a union back a candidate for something as important as the mayor. Common sense would tell me that you are taking a mighty big risk in case your guy loses....sounds like they set themselves up for that one.

I'm sure this is routine for unions to do....(I wouldn't know...not a union guy)...but seriously....

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    I wouldn't know...not a union guy
    EXACTLY
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by fletchem202
    Chief Reason is not only the chief elected official, but he is apparently the legislative and judical branch of his local fire service organization as well. All is good in Illinois as long as his constituency agrees with the good chief. Let's send our resources a thousand miles to the south. I'm sure that at some point in the future that New Orleans Fire Department personnel and resources will roll into Chicago, and/or the surrounding suburbs to provide mutual aid through an EMAC request. Or was it the case that Illinois officials bothered EMAC officials to the point that they bypassed seven other states (which were closer) to allow Illinois resources and personnel to respond to the affected area?

With respect to the jurisdiction that was required (mandated) to return home. One word "Duh". Your vehicles were purchased by your local government and/or jurisdiction. The two employees that were enroute to parts unknown are employees of the local government. Do you think that it might be a good idea to solicit and obtain the approval of the local officials before you depart your normal area of operation? Worker's compenstation; routine pay; health benefits; retirement; and all of the other ancillary costs of an employee? Nah, let's jump into the first available SUV and make our way to Louisiana. Hell, this is a national catastrophe.
    You are talking out of your ***. Sorry that you didnt get to respond. Last time I checked, it was about helping people in real need. Our state has the resources and the plan. I often disagree with Chief R...That dosent mean you are right on this one.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Chief Reason is not only the chief elected official, but he is apparently the legislative and judical branch of his local fire service organization as well. All is good in Illinois as long as his constituency agrees with the good chief. Let's send our resources a thousand miles to the south. I'm sure that at some point in the future that New Orleans Fire Department personnel and resources will roll into Chicago, and/or the surrounding suburbs to provide mutual aid through an EMAC request. Or was it the case that Illinois officials bothered EMAC officials to the point that they bypassed seven other states (which were closer) to allow Illinois resources and personnel to respond to the affected area?

With respect to the jurisdiction that was required (mandated) to return home. One word "Duh". Your vehicles were purchased by your local government and/or jurisdiction. The two employees that were enroute to parts unknown are employees of the local government. Do you think that it might be a good idea to solicit and obtain the approval of the local officials before you depart your normal area of operation? Worker's compenstation; routine pay; health benefits; retirement; and all of the other ancillary costs of an employee? Nah, let's jump into the first available SUV and make our way to Louisiana. Hell, this is a national catastrophe.
    I know this to be true.
    We don't answer to anyone from Kentucky.
    But thanks for playing.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

The Firefighters of Bensenville actively worked to defeat the currrent Mayor. He has a history of being VERY unfriendly to firefighters. You do not support elected officials that do not support you. Or in this case, trying to eliminate your job. They worked hard, but he is popular in his town because he is fighting Daley on O'Hare Airport expansion. It was his hand-picked brand new chief who ok'd the deployment. (Which continues and will for some time to come)
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    You are talking out of your ***. Sorry that you didnt get to respond. Last time I checked, it was about helping people in real need. Our state has the resources and the plan. I often disagree with Chief R...That dosent mean you are right on this one.
    Insightful... In what respect am I "talking out of my ***?" Are the firefighters not employees of the local government? Is the vehicle that they utilized to drive to NO not the property of local government? Who is responsible for the costs incurred and the employee pay and benefits if the the local jurisdiction does not approve deployment?

Congratulations on the Mutual Aid Box System. More states should replicate the plan and the associated processes for moving resources. I completely support helping those that require assistance. The point of my post is that there are procedures and protocols in place for one state to provide mutual aid and/or support to another state. Those procedures can not be ignored. And yes, EMAC officials did receive numerous (several hundred) calls from Illinois fire service officials offering resources.

And for the record, my department has deployed nine (9) personnel (33% of our full-time personnel) to the disaster. Four (4) of those employees deployed as FEMA Community Relations representatives (30 days) and five (5) were deployed to Biloxi, MS for a two-week assignment starting tomorrow. I could have accepted assignment to either deployment but could not due to scheduling conflicts. All of these deployments were conducted within the organized EMAC and FEMA guidelines and not self-initiated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    I know this to be true.
    We don't answer to anyone from Kentucky.
    But thanks for playing.
    CR
    Yep... Spoken like a true tin-horn third world dictator.. That's OK, we don't answer to anyone from Illinois either. Chief Reason, I haven't even started to play..

Purple Hydrants have been ordered just in case they are needed....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Insightful... In what respect am I "talking out of my ***?" Are the firefighters not employees of the local government? Is the vehicle that they utilized to drive to NO not the property of local government? Who is responsible for the costs incurred and the employee pay and benefits if the the local jurisdiction does not approve deployment?

Congratulations on the Mutual Aid Box System. More states should replicate the plan and the associated processes for moving resources. I completely support helping those that require assistance. The point of my post is that there are procedures and protocols in place for one state to provide mutual aid and/or support to another state. Those procedures can not be ignored. And yes, EMAC officials did receive numerous (several hundred) calls from Illinois fire service officials offering resources.

And for the record, my department has deployed nine (9) personnel (33% of our full-time personnel) to the disaster. Four (4) of those employees deployed as FEMA Community Relations representatives (30 days) and five (5) were deployed to Biloxi, MS for a two-week assignment starting tomorrow. I could have accepted assignment to either deployment but could not due to scheduling conflicts. All of these deployments were conducted within the organized EMAC and FEMA guidelines and not self-initiated.
    The request for personnel to respond went out to many if not all states. Unfortunately one of the items requested was cost. Illinois thru MABAS has been through this several times and was able to put together the requested package of personnel and equipment, give costs and mobilize the quickest.

And Illinois did make may calls to Louisiana because they were putting the deal together. Don't make it sound as if the Illinois team was bothering Louisiana, they should be praised and not have to defend why they went.

BTW...They are now looking at MABAS as a possible national mutual aid program since we have been using it since the late 60's and has been used so successfully.

If you want to know the whole truth, here is a firehouse interview with Chief Jay Reardon from Northbrook. He is the President of MABAS,

Interview
    Last edited by Doo600; 09-23-2005 at 12:57 PM.

Forum Member

Ladies and Gentleman...

Welcome to the American Fire Service.

Home of the Idiots.

We have the ego of a mayor in Bensenville who was ****ed off he didn't have the final say to look like the hero and organize the help himself.

Of course, it's a Manager-form of local government. Newsflash: How that normally works is the Mayor is the chairman of the Council, and they form the Legislative body. The Mayor & Council establish policy.

The Manager, and his Department Heads, execute policy.

Now, another problem is people DON'T READ. Read the second article --

The Chief checked with the Manager, the Manager gave his OK.

There was no issue of establishing policy here -- the Bensenville presumably did that when they entered into the MABAS agreements. Once the Council approved that, it's off their hands.

A small-minded chair of the council got uppity and decided it was time for the Council to start being executives making decisions, not their role as a policy setting organization.

It's important to understand the difference, if you don't know already, go read up on it.

NOW...we have a bunch of firefighters on this forum with similiar EGO problems.

I'm sorry if you feel slighted that you lived in one of the 7 states bypassed going to Illinois.

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

If I had to ask what states are capable of mobilizing a large force of firefighters quickly, only two spring to mind as being nationally proven -- California through CDF & OEM, and Illinois through MABAS. Maybe Massachusset's District System approaches MABAS levels.

Many states that should, can't. Or at least can't do it unless a bunch of people run around like chickens with their head cut off for 48 hours trying to improvise things that kinda are written down on half-*** plans collecting dust.

Virtually all of the rest of the United States has failed to be able to implement a well oiled, systematic mutual aid system spanning more than a few adjacent counties.

THESE WERE NOT FREELANCERS. THEY DID NOT LEAVE WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION.

They where responding as part of an official response to a mutual aid request handled state-to-state like it should be. The city was already a signatory to the mutual aid pact, so no City Council action was needed or appropriate.

What we have here is a story about a Mayor with a bruised Ego calling back the Firefighters to make himself feel better, and several FF posters whose egos are bruised for whatever reason trying to defend him.

There's a right way to respond, and a wrong way. The Bensenville Firefighters were doing it the right way. There isn't any ground to stand on to argue otherwise from what was in the articles.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456D
    Ladies and Gentleman...

Welcome to the American Fire Service.

Home of the Idiots.

We have the ego of a mayor in Bensenville who was ****ed off he didn't have the final say to look like the hero and organize the help himself.

Of course, it's a Manager-form of local government. Newsflash: How that normally works is the Mayor is the chairman of the Council, and they form the Legislative body. The Mayor & Council establish policy.

The Manager, and his Department Heads, execute policy.

Now, another problem is people DON'T READ. Read the second article --

The Chief checked with the Manager, the Manager gave his OK.

There was no issue of establishing policy here -- the Bensenville presumably did that when they entered into the MABAS agreements. Once the Council approved that, it's off their hands.

A small-minded chair of the council got uppity and decided it was time for the Council to start being executives making decisions, not their role as a policy setting organization.

It's important to understand the difference, if you don't know already, go read up on it.

NOW...we have a bunch of firefighters on this forum with similiar EGO problems.

I'm sorry if you feel slighted that you lived in one of the 7 states bypassed going to Illinois.

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

If I had to ask what states are capable of mobilizing a large force of firefighters quickly, only two spring to mind as being nationally proven -- California through CDF & OEM, and Illinois through MABAS. Maybe Massachusset's District System approaches MABAS levels.

Many states that should, can't. Or at least can't do it unless a bunch of people run around like chickens with their head cut off for 48 hours trying to improvise things that kinda are written down on half-*** plans collecting dust.

Virtually all of the rest of the United States has failed to be able to implement a well oiled, systematic mutual aid system spanning more than a few adjacent counties.

THESE WERE NOT FREELANCERS. THEY DID NOT LEAVE WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION.

They where responding as part of an official response to a mutual aid request handled state-to-state like it should be. The city was already a signatory to the mutual aid pact, so no City Council action was needed or appropriate.

What we have here is a story about a Mayor with a bruised Ego calling back the Firefighters to make himself feel better, and several FF posters whose egos are bruised for whatever reason trying to defend him.

There's a right way to respond, and a wrong way. The Bensenville Firefighters were doing it the right way. There isn't any ground to stand on to argue otherwise from what was in the articles.
    This is probably one of the smartest posts of this entire, stupid thread.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Massachusetts does have a statewide fire mobilization plan, as does each of the Commonwealth's 15 fire districts.

The district plans get activated for major fires and incidents. My community is in district 14, we have a predetermined run card for each of the communities in the district that covers up to a ten alarm response. If more help were needed, the Statewide plan would kick in.

The last time the State's plan was activated was to provide coverage for Worcester during the W6 incident.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Yep... Spoken like a true tin-horn third world dictator.. That's OK, we don't answer to anyone from Illinois either. Chief Reason, I haven't even started to play..
    I won't stereotype you. Just so happens, I have a brother-in-law who was born and raised in Owensboro.
    What's the matter; Kentucky thread a little slow? Have you tried posting pictures?
    You just leveled a personal attack; but I'm not even going to report it.
    I think it's funny that you go right to personal stuff, simply because you don't know jack squat about the discussion topic or anything about me.
    You want to play? Bring it, buford.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Default Insightful.

I stand by my original assessment of you flet.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Default Good Job Ky !

Kentucky firefighters aide in Katrina cleanup

12:03 PM CDT on Monday, October 3, 2005

Associated Press

SLIDELL -- Owensboro firefighter Dale Clark couldn't believe what he was seeing in south Louisiana. He knew the firefighters who lived through Hurricane Katrina were having an even tougher time.

"These guys have a hard time explaining what happened when the storm came through, and they live here," Clark said.

Clark was among a group of Owensboro firefighters in St. Tammany Parish who, for two weeks, worked at some of the spots in the area hit hardest by Katrina, which made landfall more than a month ago.

The firefighters are one of several groups of Kentuckians working in Louisiana in the wake of two deadly storms. Louisville Gas and Electric Co., and Kentucky Utilities Co. have provided 57 employees working in southwest Louisiana after Hurricane Rita.

The volunteers work long hours in heat and humidity, sleeping on cots and fighting off mosquitoes.

"I have fought them tooth and nail," said Keith Holeman, who is supervising a crew of 57 from Louisville Gas and Electric Co. and Kentucky Utilities Co. who are restoring electric service in Louisiana.

The work isn't much different from what they would do at home during power outages, trying to restore power to main lines, eventually repairing those that serve homes and businesses.

With storm debris and unfamaliar territory all around, safety is a concern for the electricy workers.

"It only takes a second to get hurt," said Terry Garrison, a Kentucky Utilities worker from Stamping Ground in Scott County.

The firefighters looked over the fields of debris from the storm, including countless pieces of lumber, shoes, televisions, furniture and coolers.

The storm surge from Lake Pontchartrain and nearby marshes washed over the highway, obliterating neighboring houses that likely caught the force of the water both surging and receding.

"This debris had to hit them with some force," said Deputy Chief Dave Kuhn with the St. Tammany Parish Fire Protection District One. "It seemed like everything was funneled down the road."

The firefighters also found bodies and the remains of homes.

One of the six people who died in Hurricane Katrina in St. Tammany Parish, La., was discovered clad in a lifejacket just yards away from McKean Cemetery on U.S. 90 near Lake Pontchartrain. One brick home near the cemetery, where headstones could be seen poking through the debris, was demolished, leaving only a concrete slab.

The home's residents have not been located, and both their vehicles are still parked on the property, Kuhn said.

Across the highway, members of the St. Tammany department helped firefighter Merreil Gomez search for signs from The Salt Bayou Lounge, which Gomez owned. It sat about five miles across the marsh.

"All the floor of the building's still there," Gomez said. " The building just moved about 40 feet and sunk."

Firefighters did not find anything else from the restaurant, but a helmet belonging to fellow firefighter Nicky Bruno was located buried in some debris.

It is unclear exactly where the helmet was during the storm, but it was likely swept at least a mile from Bruno's home, the firefighters said.

In an area near the cemetery, a small firefighting statue was found. Members of the St. Tammany department said it probably belonged to a firefighter who lived in a mobile home nearby.

Owensboro firefighter Trey Davidson said the damage was hard to comprehend.

"It's much better being here helping them out than being here helping myself out," Davidson said.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information