Permanently Removed

Unhappy Perhaps they should change FEMA's name!?

I vote for FEMMA: The Federal Emergency Mis-Management Agency....since it seems whenever we have an actual disaster...they fall flat on their face and make it worse!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    I vote for FEMMA: The Federal Emergency Mis-Management Agency....since it seems whenever we have an actual disaster...they fall flat on their face and make it worse!
    Ok. If you're going to be a comedian, at least be a comedian with facts.

Tell us how FEMA "fell flat on their face". But also, be intellectually honest and tell us how this whole problem may have been avoided had the Mayor and the Governor responded like leaders instead of like whining little babies.

Forum Member

whenever we have an actual disaster...
    Which other 'actual diasters' are you basing this on and can you provide information on how they fell flat on their faces during said disaster??
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also be intellectually honest and tell us how things got infinitely better once FEMA and the feds got in there.

Forum Member

Gee, nobody seems to want to point a finger at the local and state levels. Years and years and years of bad planning and mismanagement of funds at the local level led up to a complete failure of the levee system. And 95% of the "victims" where either too lazy or too hard headed to leave prior to the storm. After the storm, the city became close to a war zone, something FEMA has had no experience in whatsoever.
    Of course FEMA could have done a better job, but to lay soul blame on them is just plain ignorant.

Forum Member

The blame goes straight up the line from the city to Pennsylvania Ave. Yes things did get better WHEN the feds arrived. Mike Brown didnt get sent home as a reward for his good work.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    The blame goes straight up the line from the city to Pennsylvania Ave. Yes things did get better WHEN the feds arrived. Mike Brown didnt get sent home as a reward for his good work.
    I haven't heard a single human being say that FEMA didn't make mistakes. But they certainly are not to blame for the entire fiasco. Neither is Pres. Bush.

Is our benchmark now going to be perfection? If an agency doesn't respond to an emergency or a crisis with crisp, 100% accuracy and precision that "heads will roll"?

If so, alot of you are screwed.

Forum Member

Look at Browns resume hard George. Are you satisfied that he was the best person for the job?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Look at Browns resume hard George. Are you satisfied that he was the best person for the job?
    Absolutely not. But Michael Brown being an unqualified political hack does not have a damn thing to do with a failure by the local and State government to implement their own plan and to be completely indecisive in their course of action.

If anything, the fact that an unqualified boob was at the helm of FEMA, yet FEMA has made an enormous impact in the Gulf Shore area, may be a testament to the dedication and commitment that FEMA employees have shown. Not everyone in FEMA is unqualified. Not everyone is a political hack.

It's like a FD. If you have a moron who is Chief, it does not stop the bravery and dedication of the engine company pushing down the hallway.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plattsfire2
    Gee, nobody seems to want to point a finger at the local and state levels.
    I can only hope that once the novelty of Mike Brown being voted off the island passes, the focus on failure will fall back to the local level. Some board of inquiry (and probably the media) will make a timeline of events. The mayor and the governor have painted themselves as the victims of some massive federal failure. Much to their dismay, the timeline will inevitably bring to light the mayor and the governor's own much larger inexcusable screw ups that led to a situation beyond what the feds were really prepared for and caused the whole thing to snowball out of control. What goes around comes around, they aren't going to get off scott-free for this.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Its all about being held accountable. I am in agreement that the City of New Orleans government and the leadership of the State of Louisiana did not do their jobs. The Feds took too long to get their act together. Instead of arguing that point, lets work to make the resources we all pay for more efficient and better able to respond in a timely fashion.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, if we are going to "blanket" the entire response or lack of it with blame, then we must throw in the meteorologist who didn't get into his vehicle, drive to the governor's mansion, put a gun to her head and order her to make decisions based on his information.
    Plenty of mistakes to go around, but the BIGGER mistakes were made locally.
    Bush gets it by default, because ultimately, he catches hell for anything at the federal level.
    I mean, as President of the United States, he should know every employee by name and be a "hands on" manager.
    It begs the question: through history, how many hurricanes were blamed on Republicans and how many were blamed on Democrats?
    Michael Brown ISN'T the sacrificial lamb. He was an idiot who ducked in under the radar and failed miserably. It wasn't Bush; it was his HR guy. Bush saw the problem and got him out! Any other administration would have promoted him.
    Bush and his people weren't part of the problem; they were part of a solution, if I may borrow a tired cliche.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 09-11-2005 at 05:37 PM. Reason: errors
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree, Federal Emergency Response Team can be misleading. It is not FEMA's responsiblity to run your incident. They are a support agency. The main responsibility lies with Local and State agencies. We have natural disasters annually California (earthquakes and wildland fires) and Florida (hurricanes) that are handled with minimal federal interaction.

Maybe we should rename FEMA to FART (Federal Assistance Response Team) that way when the $hit hits the fan, you can at least say you FARTed to help relieve things.

As far as Brown (I am not a supporter nor am I rounding up a lynch mob). It's not his responsibility to know everything. A leader need not know everything, but he/she should be able to recognize (and admit) that they do not know everything and surround themselves with people that do. A good leader knows where and how to find resources and utilize them to their maximum potential.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe we should rename FEMA to FART (Federal Assistance Response Team) that way when the $hit hits the fan, you can at least say you FARTed to help relieve things.
    Now; that's funny right there and I don't care who you are.
    It seems to fit, somehow.
    I think we have a winner.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Ok. If you're going to be a comedian, at least be a comedian with facts.

Tell us how FEMA "fell flat on their face". But also, be intellectually honest and tell us how this whole problem may have been avoided had the Mayor and the Governor responded like leaders instead of like whining little babies.

Gee, I don't know. Maybe it was the slow response, thousands sitting with no food and water. A rediculously slow evacuation....

Now don't get me wrong...the mayor and governor do have to shoulder some of the blame...but since everyone wants to compare this to 9/11...

Like 9/11, this was something that the leadership had never dealt with before.
    Obviously, the local emergency services crews weren't trained/equipped to handle the disaster, which resulted in a lot of freelancing....just to name a few.

I was in New Orleans the day before the hurricane....my flight left at 1130 on Sunday morning, in fact it was the last American Airlines flight to leave. I was in town for the National EMS Expo. As far as evacuations go...it was handled pretty smoothly I thought. The stragglers who chose to stay...I'll admit picked their own battle, but what about the ones who were stuck? I read an article about two paramedics from San Francisco who did get stuck there. They along with a number of other tourists who were stuck, rode out the storm in the French Quarter. After the storm, PD wouldn't help, FD wouldn't help, so they made some phone calls and between all of them, raised $25,000 to charter 10 tour busses to get them out of the city, but as they approached the city, the National Guard and FEMA commandered them. One of the Paramedics was quoted in the article saying "If 2 hours making phone calls could get us 10 busses, then why couldn't FEMA do better?" That my friends is a good question.

So to say the fell flat on their face is not an understatement...it's the truth.

"Also be intellectually honest and tell us how things got infinitely better once FEMA and the feds got in there."

George, They didn't...that's my point!

"Michael Brown ISN'T the sacrificial lamb. He was an idiot who ducked in under the radar and failed miserably. It wasn't Bush; it was his HR guy. Bush saw the problem and got him out! Any other administration would have promoted him."

So Chief, what exactly did Georgie mean when he threw his arm around Michael Brown and said "Your doin' a great job Brownie!"?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

It's like a FD. If you have a moron who is Chief, it does not stop the bravery and dedication of the engine company pushing down the hallway.

AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!, the people of the gulf area need to look in the mirror and ask why did we not have this planned out on our own?, when you see there will be floods in the midwest, you see towns embrace each other and work together to prepare, same as hurricaine victims in the carolinas and florida, but i failed to see this in the N.O. area. maybe it was just me missing it though, ive been known to look at things in chief eyes, i mean with my nomex hood on backwards.

on this day lets still not forget our lost brothers, I'm sure we lost a few to the storm as well and dont know it yet. god bless.
    getzville fire
    station #2 "THE GHETTO"

JUST A CRUSTY BLACK HAT AND LOVING IT
    FFII/ EMT-B

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

http://www.getzvillefire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

on another side note, i do remember seeing the notice on fema's website the day before the storm hit that there were teams in place from all three sides. And it is there policy not to take over, but to work for the locality that has asked, requested, prayed for their help, and they wont come until asked, just like when the city officials of NO didnt tell them they didnt have any more food in the convention center until they were out, and fema got 100,000 mres there in hours.
    getzville fire
    station #2 "THE GHETTO"

JUST A CRUSTY BLACK HAT AND LOVING IT
    FFII/ EMT-B

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

http://www.getzvillefire.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Default Proud to be from Mississippi!

I hate to compare, but...................

Have you noticed that over in our state, we didn't have as many problems.

You didn't see the the gov. and the mayors bickering on national T.V.

As I heard more than one time, we take care of our own.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

Since I am sure that Vice Admiral Allen and Lt. General Honore are reading this thread so they can solve all of the problems handed to them by an inept local and state authority, stop beating the floating/bloated dead horse and give them that plan you think is missing from the federal response. I mean; you obviously have it all figured out.
    If you really want to get their attention, say bad things about their Commander-in-Chief. That will lend to your credibility.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

IMHO, you do have two "Heroes" in this whole ordeal.......

Lt. General Honore , and..............

The USCG!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Mayors criticize FEMA response

The mayors of storm-battered Slidell, La. and Pascagoula, Miss. on Saturday said Federal Emergency Management Agency's response to the Hurricane Katrina has been slow.

"Clearly the FEMA response has been slow," Pascagoula Mayor Matthew Avara said. "We got a lot of good people on the ground here that are with FEMA and with the state agencies. They wear their badges and they look good. But unfortunately, we just not have seen all the assets and all the resources that we need in our city."

Slidell Mayor Ben Morris called FEMA's response "quite slow" and said it was "basically non-existent" at the beginning of the catastrophe.

"We do have some of their folks on the ground. They are working real hard."

He said "hopefully they'll get up to speed sometime soon."
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Since I am sure that Vice Admiral Allen and Lt. General Honore are reading this thread so they can solve all of the problems handed to them by an inept local and state authority, stop beating the floating/bloated dead horse and give them that plan you think is missing from the federal response. I mean; you obviously have it all figured out.
    If you really want to get their attention, say bad things about their Commander-in-Chief. That will lend to your credibility.
    CR

Chief, with all due respect...you're ****ed at me because I don't particularly care for your beloved GWB. This was not meant to be a political thread, but somewhere along the line it became one.

The fact of the matter is that regardless of who is at fault for the mess, in these types of situations...**** runs up hill instead of down. The Prez is ultimately the one who looks bad...he kissed a lot of *** the first few days, but then when the fingers started getting pointed at FEMA, he suddenly pulled Brown out of there...after praising his efforts a few days earlier...just to save his own face.

The problem is you are too much of a flag waving republican to see that...and instead just get mad when someone jabs at Bush.

Permanently Removed

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention about your beloved GWB....

It sure took him long enough to actually go down there and when he did, he surveyed the damge from above in a helicopter. Sure would've liked to see him do a meet and greet with some of the victims IN New Orleans....but that's right...the security risks were too high.

Don't remember Bill Clinton being afraid to come meet flood victims here in Iowa back in 1993!

Forum Member

Talking Slick Willie to the rescue!

Don't remember Bill Clinton being afraid to come meet flood victims here in Iowa back in 1993!

Slick willie was the man!

Just think if he was still in office I sure he could calm Katrina down by sticking a cigar into the eye of the storm!

Plus we all know that poop floats which means slick willie was drown proof!

This is just joke clinton fans!
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention about your beloved GWB....

It sure took him long enough to actually go down there and when he did, he surveyed the damge from above in a helicopter. Sure would've liked to see him do a meet and greet with some of the victims IN New Orleans....but that's right...the security risks were too high.

Huh? Wait a minute....Seems like I remember Bush walking the Gulf Coast area...

Did they have thugs shooting at the cops/responders/contractors in Iowa? They did in N.O. You're right, he toured N.O. in Marine 1... Don't blame him at all with all the violence present at the time. I believe you are comparing apples and oranges in the matters of scene safety.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Thread Information