View Poll Results: What's Your Opinion On Motorcycle Airbags?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great idea. Will actually save lives. Pure Genius!

7 14.89%
  • Interesting idea, but I'm not quite sure about this.

25 53.19%
  • Don't believe it will work in the Real World.

7 14.89%
  • You've got to be kidding! This Must Be A Joke?

8 17.02%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Honda Gold Wing's Airbag!!

Honda Motor Co. announced it has succeeded in developing the world’s first production motorcycle airbag system. The new system, which can help lessen the severity of injuries caused by frontal collisions, is to be made available on the new Gold Wing motorcycle scheduled for release in late spring of 2006 in the US.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Crash Test

You only need to see the crash test video of the Gold Wing airbag to see how many lives will be saved in frontal collisions, but just like with every airbag or restraint system, they are only effective in certain types of collisions, not all collisions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harley4227
    You only need to see the crash test video of the Gold Wing airbag to see how many lives will be saved in frontal collisions, but just like with every airbag or restraint system, they are only effective in certain types of collisions, not all collisions.
    I seen the video, You can actually see were it can work great in a direct frontal crash, but I want to see what happens if the wheel is turned one way or the other. In my thinking the automatic reaction to this type crash would be to swerve to avoid the crash.

Forum Member

Does anyone have a video link for the crash test. I have been riding for a long time, and had a frontal impact accident. Wasn't bad lucky me but would like to see it. Thanks
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeeJunkins
    In my thinking the automatic reaction to this type crash would be to swerve to avoid the crash.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

You know Vince and Larry always crashed looking forward with both hands on the wheel steering forward giving the airbag a clean shot into the strike zone. I have seen more brushed forearms from the "O S@@T we are going to crash swerve" mode. When your left hand goes from the 9 o:clock to the 3 o:clock position it leads to a good self inflicted punch in the eye propeled by the airbag. Grant it, this is still better then a face full of steering wheel. Not too sure about how this same situation would work on a bike. We need someone other then Vince and Larry to try it out.
    Zmag

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy919
    Does anyone have a video link for the crash test. I have been riding for a long time, and had a frontal impact accident. Wasn't bad lucky me but would like to see it. Thanks
    I do have the video, Give me awhile to figure out how to get it on here.
    ( new to computors)

MembersZone Subscriber

When the handle bars are turned the bag position stays the same. There may be a little friction burning of the arms, but when you see the video you will see that making a sudden movement of the bars will have little impact on the affect of the airbag. As long as the occupant is striking the object head-on, it will be effective. I would like to see video of the same accident with a rear passanger. I believe that the bag will position the rider so that the passanger is also protected by keeping them on the motorcycle.

P.S. I have the video if anybody wants it. Send me an email and I will reply with the video..........................hoffman@ev1.net

Forum Member

Thanks Todd, I wasn't going to get involved, but the video clearly shows what you have said. Honda specs also show the airbag system is not attached to the handle bar assembly.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'd say it's effectiveness will depend on where the wreck is too. We have several 6-7 lane undivided highways in our area, and most of the motorcycle wrecks I've been to have been head-on because the rider didn't want to swerve into another lane and get run over by the vehicle in that lane. They all took the chance that they'd be better flying over the nimrod that pulled out in front of them. None were dead on scene that I remember, so something like this may help out more than we think. I know when I had people pull out in front of me in rush hour traffic while on the 2 wheeler, I thought the same thing, hitting the side of the car was better.

Of course the other fun part is the device itself if we're attempting to move a patient that's under the bike and the air bag hasn't deployed. That's a pretty good sized back and will definitely knock someone for a loop if it goes off.

- Brian

Forum Member

I seen the video, You can actually see were it can work great in a direct frontal crash, but I want to see what happens if the wheel is turned one way or the other. In my thinking the automatic reaction to this type crash would be to swerve to avoid the crash.
    I talked to harley4227 one on one the other day and I explained that I under stood that the air bag is mounted solid and not on the handle bars, But what I was looking at is when the wheel swerves let's say to the left upon impact the wheel would still be the first part to hit, setting off the bag. but at the same time your body would still be moving in a straight line which I was seeing your body going into the side of the air bag and that would give you the same effect as pushing you side ways from the bike. But in talking to him, I can see where it will work. I am not a bike rider, and therefore never thought about it, but when you turn the bike you lean your body into the turn, and this would still put you hitting the center of the bag.

MembersZone Subscriber

I talked to harley4227 one on one the other day and I explained that I under stood that the air bag is mounted solid and not on the handle bars, But what I was looking at is when the wheel swerves let's say to the left upon impact the wheel would still be the first part to hit, setting off the bag. but at the same time your body would still be moving in a straight line which I was seeing your body going into the side of the air bag and that would give you the same effect as pushing you side ways from the bike. But in talking to him, I can see where it will work. I am not a bike rider, and therefore never thought about it, but when you turn the bike you lean your body into the turn, and this would still put you hitting the center of the bag.
    You lean into the turn, however if you strike an object with a sideways vector of force, your body will go off the bike sideways. An airbag isn't gonna do much for you in that case, however in the case of an actual frontal impact (which happens more often than you'd think with cars pulling out from intersections, bikes getting cut off, riders being dumb, etc) this will probably help. A lot of frontal impact bike injuries are from the rider either coming off the bike, or sliding forward into the tank/bars (which breaks arms, legs, hips, and can do a number on your "jacobs").

While the airbag is also a good idea, a large portion of bike wrecks are not frontal impacts either; lowsides, highsides, collisions, and a few other things can cause a bike to go down, and they all present unique methods of injury (some injuries are common to multiple types of crashes) and hence unique types of response and management.

I'm working now to get some classes going for firefighters and medics in Colorado (may expand to other areas at some point) specifically dealing with motorcycle incident response (proper helmet removal, modes of injury, how bikes wreck and what that means for the responder, etc). If any of you want copies of the slides or whatever when that's done, let me know. I'm working with a couple other highly qualified people on this to make it as good as possible; we're even getting a dozen helmets and other materials donated for the classes, so everyone gets hands-on with this stuff. The intent is to educate responders in something they don't get a lot of exposure or training in, so I'm happy to at least pass the material around to you guys. We aren't charging for the classes anyway.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you want, I'll post the PPT on my web site with your contact info as the creator so you don't have to email it around for the rest of whatever. I did the same with the Lexan drywall reports from Illinois.

brianv@firegraphics.org is my email.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll keep that in mind!

I'm developing the materials now, so I will let you know when I get it completed.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I got to see this thing in person at the Int'l Motorcycle Show this weekend. I took several pics, which I'll post up in a few days. I also spoke with the Honda reps about it, and they're supposed to call me about potentially getting a copy of the DVD they were showing. This video depicts the system in action, goes into technical details about it, and shows how they crash tested it. I think I wasn't too far off in my assessment of crash dynamics, however they've done a pretty good job with this thing. While the rider will go "sideways" in anything but a perfectly frontal crash, the airbag actually comes out in a sort of wide half-moonish shape and rolls with the rider, to absorb as much of that energy as it can catch. I'm also going to try and see the facility where they test this thing at some point, the rep told me who to call on that one so we'll see.

This obviously won't protect in all incidents, but I'm impressed with the amount of R&D that went into making this as effective as it could be, given what it's going on. It should save lives and prevent serious injuries!

As for deployment, it's basically dead center on the bike by the handlebars. It comes out to about handlebar width, up and over the tank. It won't be available until late 06 (so you won't find it on the road anytime soon) but you can expect new Goldwings to start having them after that. No clue what identifying marks will show its presence yet. I see it as a minimal hazard for rescue efforts, since riders generally get separated from the bike at some point anyway.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    Well, I got to see this thing in person at the Int'l Motorcycle Show this weekend. I took several pics, which I'll post up in a few days. I also spoke with the Honda reps about it, and they're supposed to call me about potentially getting a copy of the DVD they were showing. This video depicts the system in action, goes into technical details about it, and shows how they crash tested it. I think I wasn't too far off in my assessment of crash dynamics, however they've done a pretty good job with this thing. While the rider will go "sideways" in anything but a perfectly frontal crash, the airbag actually comes out in a sort of wide half-moonish shape and rolls with the rider, to absorb as much of that energy as it can catch. I'm also going to try and see the facility where they test this thing at some point, the rep told me who to call on that one so we'll see.

This obviously won't protect in all incidents, but I'm impressed with the amount of R&D that went into making this as effective as it could be, given what it's going on. It should save lives and prevent serious injuries!

As for deployment, it's basically dead center on the bike by the handlebars. It comes out to about handlebar width, up and over the tank. It won't be available until late 06 (so you won't find it on the road anytime soon) but you can expect new Goldwings to start having them after that. No clue what identifying marks will show its presence yet. I see it as a minimal hazard for rescue efforts, since riders generally get separated from the bike at some point anyway.
    Any chance of getting a copy of the DVD if we ask nice?

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy919
    Any chance of getting a copy of the DVD if we ask nice?
    That depends on Honda's copyright policy (or what I can get them to agree to) but I will try!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Video

I have made the Goldwing Airbag video available on my website at:
    www.sceneoftheaccident.org
    Click on Training Materials and the Goldwing Airbag video will be there

Forum Member

I have made the Goldwing Airbag video available on my website at:
    www.sceneoftheaccident.org
    Click on Training Materials and the Goldwing Airbag video will be there
    Maybe something with my compunter but i can't get any of them to play. let me know if I need a special player. Thanks.

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber

All of the videos are Windows Media Player which comes with every computer that Bill Gates has something to do with. I just tried the link off of this site and it worked for me. Here is the direct link to the video without going through my site:

http://www.sceneoftheaccident.org/do...s/goldwing.mpg

Forum Member

All of the videos are Windows Media Player which comes with every computer that Bill Gates has something to do with. I just tried the link off of this site and it worked for me. Here is the direct link to the video without going through my site:

http://www.sceneoftheaccident.org/do...s/goldwing.mpg
    It worked with your link here but still couldnt get it of the sit. Maybe the way this computer at works is. Oh well thanks alot for the link. I'll check out more at home. Nice site i would like to say as well.

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber

That actually isn't the full video, though it does show a test impact. The one I was watching at the IMS (the one I'm trying ot get from Honda) was between 5-10 minutes long and showed a lot of different impact angles, etc.

Forum Member

if it saves one life, i guess its worth it right? I definitely can't see how it could do more harm. Even if you catch the bag off center due to a swerve, any bit of reduction in speed before being ejected/launched from the bike is a good thing.. no?

Forum Member

Looks like a great launching system to me!

Whitey
    Situation dictates proceedure!

Margate Fire Rescue Extrication Team
    www.fdwhitey.com

Thread Information