Forum Member

Default Low Profile Aerials

I am looking for any info on low profile aerials. We currently have a 100' midmount KME(don't hate me, was not our choice). It replaced a Grumman Towerladder thru some trade-in/payoff for repairs deal. Now our department heads are thinking of replacing it due to its size. I work in a typical New England mill town where the streets are narrow, and we often find ourselves driving on lawns/cars/signs/etc, so they want something shorter(Quint). Our real problem is our station was built in the 1930's, so height is a problem. There is a beam in our bays which restrict the height of our apparatus to just under 10'. I have been looking at different apparatus manufactures to find if any build low profile rearmounts, but havent been able to find any. The only truck I have found is a Sutphen SL75. If there is anyone out there who has a lowpro truck/quint, please post some info.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Default Low Profile Aerials

I'm sure some of the OEM's offer low profile cab's but with that come certain limitations as to interior headroom etc and maybe have to be a fixed cab and that's not the best nowadays either for servicing etc.

I know that the Smeal dealer in New England has delivereed some low profile Rear Mount Quints and Straight Ladders and Toronto has 4 SMeal 100 ft. 5 Section Midmount Quints which provide a shorter OAL and less rear overhang which would be important I'd think in your area. They normally have 105 ft. Rear Mount Quints but due to the same issues of heritage station door opening heights have the 4 Midmounts.

Check out www.torontofirepics.com and you'll probably be able to check them out.

Forum Member

Try looking at Pierce, or ALF.
    If You Can't Compromise,
    "IMPROVISE!"
    If you don't know the difference between an "Engine" & a "Truck", Go ride in the Ambulance!

"We the willing, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

"Action without study is fatal. Study without action is futile."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jomo320
    Try looking at Pierce, or ALF.
    Yeah, you can check out ALF, but I wouldn't put anything on paper with them until the dust settles from their sale and you can see what direction the company is going.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.sacomaine.org/departments...dertruck.shtml

not sure of the OAH but we looked at this piece before buying and it was pretty nice

MembersZone Subscriber

Seagrave makes a 100' low profile I believe and E-One will make a midmount 100' on a special request basis (No its not advertised on their website). Just some thoughts.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.claymontfirecompany.com/apparatus.html scroll down to Truck 13.

Check out this rig. I recall when they were spec'n it out they were down to ALF and E-one. My understanding on the choice for this rig, vs the latter, was due to height / low-profile issues. There may have been other reasons as well, but I believe this says alot for a company which was all E-one.

Forum Member

I don't know of any manufacturer that can make a REAR mount that can get down under 11 feet let alone 10. In the good old days they used to be able to do it with 250 tip load ladder with an open cab and cutting the cab at that.

On a custom flat roof low pro chassis the cab height is close about 9 foot. Notched cabs won't do it either. To get something in a stick, under 10 feet you are going to be looking at mid mounts. Even then you are colse to the 10 foot travel height.

Forum Member

For those of you who get fire trader, look a couple issues back, there is a VERY low profile Pearce rear mount, i want to say it was 93 model or so. Absolutley the ugliest tower I have ever seen. NO cab room. I was going to get a picture from the PDF off of fire traders site for yall, but the PDF link from their site is corrupt.

Forum Member

Here is a ladder from New Providence, NJ. They recently replaced the old ladder. It is an awesome sight in a parade, gets a lot of looks. It was built low because I believe they had a tunnel or bridge or 2 they couldn't get under. Here's the link, 3rd pic on bottom. FDNY Pics, New Providence
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

bet it handles well being that close to the ground. Lots like an airport tug.
    bring along a lawnchair for the pump operator. so much for looking down in the cars. HA

MembersZone Subscriber

That is still a very nice aerial, did someone buy it and have it put on a new chassis?

MembersZone Subscriber

Not pushing Smeal in any way, but here's a few good shots of some mid-mounts that look to have pretty low overall heights. I firmly believe more than one builder can build a truck to a certain set of parameters, so these are thrown out there for thought:

Smeal Mid Mount Ladders

The Spartan/Smeals that went to Toronto look to have raised roofs, so that brings the height up more than perhaps what you would want it to be...

I think you're looking at the least of all evils. If you can find a low-pro rear mount, you won't likely have a tilt cab, if you go mid-mount, your rig gets longer with the larger overhang.

Something to consider, and a lot of people hate them, but Metz builds units tailored for the streets of Europe. Again, you'll be giving up compartment space with a Metz, but it may be an option.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the replys. Our KME is a midmount similar to the Smeals. We are trying to find something that is shorter in length (single axle). I just got back to the station after driving ours to a couple of calls, driving over lawns and sidewalks to make turns. Our Asst. Chief thinks we do this on purpose but with street that are only 10' wide in some areas we have no choice. Does anyone out there have the single axle Sutphens? I was wondering how they were.

Forum Member

I believe anything over 75' goes to tandem axles. We have a ' 89 Sutphen with a 65' platform. it is a single axle. Going into reserve status in about 6 wks, when our new Smeal 100' rolls into town. It's been a ok truck. It wasn't speced out real well. Partly because the city didn't have the money to do it right, or nicer or better. ???? One problem with our quint and our two newer engines (93) is the body hardware. Screws coming loose. Big issue with our two engines the first few months we had them . A number of electricial issues also. But then even our 2 yr old Pierce has had electric issues.
    But if speced right for your dept and needs and within your financial abiltiy, I believe Sutphen to be a great aerial.

Forum Member

I've always thought these were pretty good looking trucks, I don't know much about Sutphen Platforms so I'm really only posting this as another option for you. I saw one from I think Bridgeton up close at a convention a few months back. Loaded with equipment and looked very maneuverable. About as low profile as you can get for a platform.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

Seagrave manufacturers a 100 foot rear mount ladder that will fit in an 11 foot door, I think a 10 foot six inch door for sure. It is a fixed cab with the engine back design. Seating is like a FDNY chassis. Been in one lots of room for officer and driver, passengers kindof tight but enough room with full gear and to strap on a SCBA.

Forum Member

A couple of points, The Sutphen 75' midmount aerial is an excellent truck. Drives well. But only 75'. The Metz while short is over 11' on the standard cab/chassis offerings they have. I doubt you can find any rearmount that will fit under a 10' door. Sutphens' 90-100 towers can be bought at 9'10" but they are 45'-47' long with a 252" wheelbase. Smeal makes a good aerial but I have never seen their midmount unit. Can the station be modified? You may find it cheaper to spend 25 or 30K to raise the door area than pay a ton extra for a specially designed aerial.

Forum Member

Who mentioned the nasty "S" word? Our department has four Spartan/Smeals all eight years old. The are in a scheduled maintenance program, are checked daily and if there are any problems they are sent down to the garage for repairs. The crews look for any reason to have the garage to take them out of service so they can get into our reserve 1990 Pierce Arrow Ladder. Our district ladder has rust holes around the electrical outlets (notice I did not say just one outlet), the drop down steps no longer step down, the compartments leak, the outrigger control box is rusted through, etc....
    Granted they were the good old low bid. But that was our old administration, the ones that did not put A/C in any of the 14 new rigs purchased during their reign (how is that for cheap? rumor has it they even paid to have it removed). I ride a HME/Smeal every third day. The ride is rough but overall the truck is not that bad. My advice is go with a dealer that can take care of you and have a preventative maintenance program.

Forum Member

FF E5,
    The problem is not with the door height, it is with a beam that runs thru the middle of the bay area, It is an old 2 story station and the beam is needed to support the second floor. It sits at just above 10', so even if you modify the bay door, the beam screws us.

Any one have a rear mount without a pump? Just looking for other options to present to the Heads.

tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

Scroll down to and click on the "Fire Apparatus" link on the left side of the page. Then go to Ladder Co's and click on Ladder 2.

2003 Seagrave 100ft RM with a low-pro cab, no pump and 250 lbs tip, no waterway---OAH below 10ft?. A 500lb tip and waterway may put you over the 10' mark on this model. You need to talk with a Seagrave sales rep to obtain exact facts and fiqures on this model.

http://www.hempsteadfiredept.com/

Stay Safe
    Last edited by tjsnys; 09-13-2005 at 02:52 PM.

Forum Member

Here is a Smeal that is called the UT100 for UT (Under Ten Feet).

This one was on a Simon Duplex, but they can still build it today on an HME Classic chassis.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Here is one of the HME Classic cabs, but this has a 75' Aerial on it.

Keepin it real

Yea, you going to find that getting a ladder under 11' is almost impossible. The closet we have is 10' 6" and we are in the process of specing out a quint to replace it.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

Don't have any pictures with me, but Mantoloking NJ has a Sutphen (85' I think) that was purchased for the very same reason, old building with very low height. It's a midmount, got a pump, no tank. I can find out more info if you're really interested.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information