Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What went right

Forum Member

Default What went right

Sorry- just sick of all the finger pointing.

All the bad news and "what-went-wrong" stories coming out of the South has got me down a bit, so I decided to focus on the stuff that went well...

I'm actualy pleased with some of the stuff I'm seeing in the news- people coming out in droves to donate food, money and blood for the victims, the FEMA USAR teams doing what they do best, NOFD showing us all what dedication really is, and FFs and LEOs from all over the country volunteering to help.

They got those pumps started up fatser than I thought, and communities all over the country have welcomed victims into their cities and homes.

If I had a hat, I'd take it off to all of you.

Forum Member

Default Kudos for them and for your comments.

I think if there were any examples of lagging responses, it will come out in the reviews. I keep up with several sources of information, and started leaving conversations that were only complaining. Complaining during a fight isn't helpful. Most Response and Recovery efforts have been extraordinary. Some of these areas will come up earlier than the predictions. Think of other notable disasters/attacks, in other places. With our people involved, more good happens than bad. The people that want to jump in the quicksand of blame, only extend the stress where enough already exists.

The geneorsity of Americans is the most obvious. While initial reaction and response will continue to be up for deabte for years to come, the assiatance provided to the evacuees is nothing short of astounding.With the overwhelming media coverage of people who didn't/ coudn't leave, we need to remember that many people who DID evacuate early lost everything too.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Default 9-13-2005

12:07 P.M. - (AP): The head of the Port of New Orleans says today offers "a historical moment."

He says a freighter loaded with coffee and wood products from South and Central America arrives today.

Port President Gary LaGrange says two weeks ago, officials thought hurricane damage would keep the port down for a-half year.

He says the quick turnaround shows the city ``is back in business.'' He adds, "From a commercial and psychological standpoint, this is five stars."

He says another three ships are expected in this week.

The port is a gateway to a river system serving 33 states on the Mississippi or its tributaries.

About 100 dock workers have camped out on ships docked in the port since the weekend, with up to 400 expected by the end of the week.

The port has no power for the incoming ship, so it'll have to get an extension cord from a maritime administration vessel.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information