Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Told Ya

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    1. Yes you are trying to make a point, in your opinion, the insurance companies don't owe a dime, and these people are idiots for not having flood insurance.
    2. The insurance companies are not paying ANYTHING to ANYONE if they feel the poperty has been damaged by flood, regardless if there was damaged caused by any other force or nature. To them, it doesn't matter if the house was blown apart by wind damage, if there wer flood waters, they are denying the claim altogether.
    3. Insurance companies do not like to pay claims. This is why if you have car insurance, you premium goes up after an accident, same with homeowner's insurance, if you have a fire. They want your premium, and they hope they never have to pay anything back to you.
    4. No proof of taking advantage of the situation? Tell that to the guy in MS I saw on CNN yesterday whose roof was in the top of a tree, but his insurance company denied the claim saying the destruction of the house was not due to wind, but flood waters...that only got about 5 feet deep in that area. If floods destroyed his house, how did his roof end up 20 feet up in a tree? Yeah that insurance company is not trying to take advantage of anything! I wonder just how many claims are going to be paid out for non-flood damage?

A note on floods, floods usually surround a house and ruin things like contents and cause some minor damage structurally, they don't usually level a house and leave it resembling something hit by an F4 tornado.
    Again wrong on each point.

1. I never said anywhere at anytime that the insurance companies "don't owe a dime". You made that up. It is a lie.

2. The insurance companies are responsible for paying a legitimate storm loss that was then covered up by a flood. A rookie insurance adjuster can tell the difference between wind damage and flood damage.

3. Insurance don't like to pay claims that are not substantiated. We are not talking aboiut auto insurance here. We are talking about HO. If you have a loss on your HO policy, your rates do not go up UNLESS the company finds that you are a greater risk. I would submit to you that after they have paid for a house that is prone to hurricane damage two or three times, it is perfectly legitimate to raise your rates. It is not fair to the other policyholders who do not live in the storm prone areas to pay for the repairs to a house that will get blown down again.

4. It is hardly "evidence" to cite one story from a person telling a self-serving story about an insurance claim. Did the insurance co. weigh in? Of course not. They're busy. BTW, if the insurance co. is not dealing with the insured fairly (ie: bad faith), a complaint can be filed with the state insurance dept. If the State finds the insurance co. acted in bad faith, the usual penalty is triple damages.

4a. Really? So it is impossible for a house to be ripped off its foundation by rushing flood waters? They will fall apart. Houses are not built to be apart from their foundations. The videos that they love to show on TV of houses floating down the river are figments of our imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    A note on floods, floods usually surround a house and ruin things like contents and cause some minor damage structurally, they don't usually level a house and leave it resembling something hit by an F4 tornado.
    You have never seen a storm surge, huh? But that could be wind or flooding, it is water doing the damage, but it is the wind forcing the water over the banks. Does that make it wind damage or flood damage.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

3. Insurance don't like to pay claims that are not substantiated. We are not talking aboiut auto insurance here. We are talking about HO. If you have a loss on your HO policy, your rates do not go up UNLESS the company finds that you are a greater risk. I would submit to you that after they have paid for a house that is prone to hurricane damage two or three times, it is perfectly legitimate to raise your rates. It is not fair to the other policyholders who do not live in the storm prone areas to pay for the repairs to a house that will get blown down again.
    And if you have several claims (burlgary, tree falls, fire, etc.) in a specific time period, you can be dropped (at least in NY) as a "high risk".
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    You have never seen a storm surge, huh? But that could be wind or flooding, it is water doing the damage, but it is the wind forcing the water over the banks. Does that make it wind damage or flood damage.
    I honestly don't know. I am not an adjuster. That is a good question.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Actually the wind only causes the storm surge to have waves. The storm surge is not caused by the winds. It is due to the extremely low air pressure at the eye of the hurricane sucking water up as if it were trying to suck through a straw. This causes a elevated water level compared to normal sea level. This is a a storm surge.
    And according to my insurance guy, if the damage is caused by water, it is a flood claim. If it rains so hard that your basement fills with water, it is flood insurance that pays not your actual HO. If your waterline breaks and fills up your house then it is still only covered under a flood policy. which is why even though my house sits on hill 10-15 ft above the lowest ground around I still have flood insurance. Granted it is pretty cheap but I still carry it.
    Therefore just because the wind drives the water doesn't make it wind damage, it is still flood damage.
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrnea
    Actually the wind only causes the storm surge to have waves. The storm surge is not caused by the winds. It is due to the extremely low air pressure at the eye of the hurricane sucking water up as if it were trying to suck through a straw. This causes a elevated water level compared to normal sea level. This is a a storm surge.
    And according to my insurance guy, if the damage is caused by water, it is a flood claim. If it rains so hard that your basement fills with water, it is flood insurance that pays not your actual HO. If your waterline breaks and fills up your house then it is still only covered under a flood policy. which is why even though my house sits on hill 10-15 ft above the lowest ground around I still have flood insurance. Granted it is pretty cheap but I still carry it.
    Therefore just because the wind drives the water doesn't make it wind damage, it is still flood damage.
    My policy says that if it comes from the ground, it's not covered under my homeowners. If it's a broken pipe, it's covered.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

If your waterline breaks and fills up your house then it is still only covered under a flood policy. which is why even though my house sits on hill 10-15 ft above the lowest ground around I still have flood insurance.
    In almost all cases, that is not true. A broken pipe is not a flood loss covered under the federal flood insurance program.

MembersZone Subscriber

ok so bad example....what if my septic/sewer backs up? it comes from the groun

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrnea
    ok so bad example....what if my septic/sewer backs up? it comes from the groun
    My policy basically says if it's a plumbing issue, it's covered. If it's from ground runoff or stream flooding, I'm screwed.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

my policy covers contents for either of these incidents but not the structure.

MembersZone Subscriber

Read your policy again.

Chrna is absolutely right. A strom surge is not a result of wind. If your house gets whacked by a storm surge, it is a flood. No way around it. Like george said, it is not difficult to tell the difference between wind damage and flood damage and what came first.

If it rains so hard here that my basement fills up, I will break a water line and let it fill up some more.

Arguing with Parafire is obviously of no use. He obviously already knows everything, can't be wrong, and doens't need things like logic or facts to evaluate a situation in the Gulf from his living room in Iowa.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

If it rains so hard here that my basement fills up, I will break a water line and let it fill up some more.
    That's another reason why premiums are high -- insurance fraud.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

It was a joke, I'm kidding.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC
    That's another reason why premiums are high -- insurance fraud.
    I'm told that insurance fraud is rampant in the hurricane areas.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    I'm told that insurance fraud is rampant in the hurricane areas.
    Trust me, George; it's rampant in the non-hurricane areas as well.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Trust me, George; it's rampant in the non-hurricane areas as well.
    CR
    I know. That's one big reason I have a job.

What I'm talking about is upper level, super creative, I never would have thought of that, insurance fraud.

Anyone who is taking advantage of this for personal gain in anyway should be dragged out onto main street by their ears and shot. People pretending to be refugees asking for money and handouts are my first choice for public execution, closely followed by those who try to scam their insurance company because they think it will get them off welfare.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Chrna is absolutely right. A strom surge is not a result of wind. If your house gets whacked by a storm surge, it is a flood. No way around it. Like george said, it is not difficult to tell the difference between wind damage and flood damage and what came first.

Arguing with Parafire is obviously of no use. He obviously already knows everything, can't be wrong, and doens't need things like logic or facts to evaluate a situation in the Gulf from his living room in Iowa.

You people amaze me....you actually believe that a category 4 hurricane with 100+ mph winds would not destroy the house prior to the arrival of a storm surge, and that the insurance company should be able to claim the house was destroyed by the flood, not the hurricane.

I don't claim to know everything, and I can usually admit when I'm wrong. Logic, Facts, whatever....common sense and morality have a big part of my opinion on this. The bottom line is simple....the insurance companies DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO PAY! It's typical rhetoric from the insurance company, and it's bull. These people aren't trying to scam anyone...they want fair and just compensation for the home they insured that was ripped apart by the high winds of a hurricane, and just happened to get flooded.
    Last edited by parafire81; 09-16-2005 at 12:35 AM.

Permanently Removed

Default However...

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Anyone who is taking advantage of this for personal gain in anyway should be dragged out onto main street by their ears and shot. People pretending to be refugees asking for money and handouts are my first choice for public execution, closely followed by those who try to scam their insurance company because they think it will get them off welfare.
    Amazingly, we do agree on this.

Thread Information