Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Told Ya

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    I have earthquake insurance. It costs me $40 a year extra on my policy. I am covered should there be an earthquake here in New England. There hasn't been a damaging quake since the 1700's, but if there is...
    That is the same thing they told me in Federal Way the last time the ground moved.

"Well, In the unlikely event of a earthquake....Seems silly but....."
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    I have earthquake insurance. It costs me $40 a year extra on my policy. I am covered should there be an earthquake here in New England. There hasn't been a damaging quake since the 1700's, but if there is...
    I live in Central Illinois and I have earthquake insurance. Apparently, we are on a "fault line" that runs through Illinois. Who'd a thunk it?
    A word of caution: there's a brother from Baton Rouge who is ****ed off that we are discussing the hurricane. He is inviting us down, but I think we have to get FEMA's permission and I REFUSE TO SELF-DISPATCH!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Default Not out of the realm of possibility

IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

There is a major fault line that runs right through New England. $40 a year is damn cheap, considering the value of my home on the market!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hoseheadmaps
    how would the insurance company cover, if say my house got flooded and I have no flood insurance but by some act of god (i.e.: lightning, cow kicking over a lantern) after the water receded the house were to burn to the ground. am I covered.
    I would guarantee that the ins. co. is going to investigate that fire very very closely. Remember, they only need 51% of the evidence to prove arson and to deny your claim.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    George, no offense, but you do not work in the insurance industry. Why would I accept an opinion from you?
    See. This is what happens when you do no research and are completely uninformed. I have been retired from law enforcement for awhile. I work directly for a major US insurance carrier as a fire investigator in the SIU.

But keep on trying to pick those fights, buddy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepics
    I saw someone on the news the other night looking for their compensation "just like those 9-11 families"
    The reason 9/11 families got compensation from the guvment was to keep them from suing the airline industry. It was thought that 3000 lawsuits would bankrupt the airlines.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by khallman
    The reason 9/11 families got compensation from the guvment was to keep them from suing the airline industry. It was thought that 3000 lawsuits would bankrupt the airlines.
    I don't think that was the reason. They could have passed legislation to achieve the same purpose.

According to the interview of Feinberg on CBS, giving up the right to sue the airlines (and everyone else) was a big requirement to receive payment.

As far as New Orleans goes, maybe this is a good time to re-evaluate building this much high value real estate in such a precarious location. Galveston was well on the way to becoming a major port when it was wiped out, and Houston became a good alternative based on what was learned from that storm.

Quote Originally Posted by khallman
    exactly it
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    I don't think that was the reason. They could have passed legislation to achieve the same purpose.
    ex post factos, you could not legislate away the right to sue AFTER the deed had been done.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default Saved again

Didn't know anyone wanted to sue Airlines regarding "9-11". I also didn't know the Fed saved the Airlines. It's sad that anyone thought there was someone to Sue, but good that the Industry was spared that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think two things:

1. You are trying to take a very complex and detailed legal issue and summarize it in one sentence based on one TV interview.

2. This has nothing to do with the original intent of this thread.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    I live in Central Illinois and I have earthquake insurance. Apparently, we are on a "fault line" that runs through Illinois. Who'd a thunk it?
    A word of caution: there's a brother from Baton Rouge who is ****ed off that we are discussing the hurricane. He is inviting us down, but I think we have to get FEMA's permission and I REFUSE TO SELF-DISPATCH!
    CR
    Yes the New Madrid fault (vic of St Louis) is a BIG un. Makes San Andreas look piddly. And last be movement was in early 1800s. Supposedly rang church bells in Boston. When it moves again will be a significant emotional event for Il/Mo/Ky.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    Yes the New Madrid fault (vic of St Louis) is a BIG un. Makes San Andreas look piddly. And last be movement was in early 1800s. Supposedly rang church bells in Boston. When it moves again will be a significant emotional event for Il/Mo/Ky.
    The Mississippi ran backwards too, if I remember correctly...not that I was there.

We've had several tremors in my area (Southern Ohio) that were attributed to New Madrid activity over the last 20 years or so. Nothing big, but easily noticed when outside.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

I know im young and dont know alot about this whole insurance thing but from what I have heard from people that live in the New Orleans area is that the insurance companies are not wanting to pay for the flood damage because it was not caused by the hurricane it was caused by the levee system failing. However the the flood was caused by the levee system failing and the levee system would not have failed if it weren't for the hurricane so therefore shouldnt the homeowner's insurance pay the claim? Im not arguing anyone's point it just seems like this would make sense. The levee system wouldnt not have failed if it was just a rain storm it failed because a HUURICANE pushed the water over it.

Permanently Removed hoseheadmaps's Avatar

insurance companies aren't in the business of paying claims - their in the business of making money for the shareholders. ask any of their shareholders. why do you think they don't want to insure high risk drivers. it's all about the almighty dollar. it's just business nothing personal.

Quote Originally Posted by hoseheadmaps
    insurance companies aren't in the business of paying claims - their in the business of making money for the shareholders. ask any of their shareholders. why do you think they don't want to insure high risk drivers. it's all about the almighty dollar. it's just business nothing personal.
    BUT to stay in the business they need to show integrity, and that means paying out for what they agreed to pay out for, and if they make it easier for their client/customer, they keep their client/customer, and gain business when the client/customer tells their friends the great service they recieved. Just like ANY other business, the service you supply determines if you have repeat business.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire insurance

[QUOTE=GeorgeWendtCFI]It's more like trying to buy fire insurance after you have had a fire.

MGM grand Hotel did this after their fire in 1980. No insurance at the time of the fire, but they had cash. Offered the huge sum of cash up for an insurance company to oversee the payout. Got one troubled company to take the cash, they tought that they could solve immediate problems with the cash, and when they were on better footing handle the payoff. Didnt work, The company went under.

]

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    BUT to stay in the business they need to show integrity, and that means paying out for what they agreed to pay out for, and if they make it easier for their client/customer, they keep their client/customer, and gain business when the client/customer tells their friends the great service they recieved. Just like ANY other business, the service you supply determines if you have repeat business.
    The insurance business is not like running the corner gas station. an insurance policy is a business contract. It requires certain things of both parties. It requires integrity on the part of both parties. Do you have any notion how many laws there are that regulate how an insurance company must conduct business?

It is improper and possibly illegal to pay claims outside of the business contract.

Thread Information