Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    I was willing to take on a bit of debt. I'm $8000 in debt after 1 year. What I'm not willing to do is take on over $40,000 in debt. My college education can wait until I can afford it.
    And the cycle continues......
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    And the cycle continues......
    right. Becuase firefighting and the military are such empovershed careers
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

right. Becuase firefighting and the military are such empovershed careers
    Talk to us again WHEN YOU HAVE ACHIEVED THOSE THINGS. You are kind of counting the chickens before they hatch here.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Talk to us again WHEN YOU HAVE ACHIEVED THOSE THINGS. You are kind of counting the chickens before they hatch here.
    burying myself in 40 grand worth of debt for a piece of paper seems a whole hell of alot more foolish to me
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

burying myself in 40 grand worth of debt for a piece of paper seems a whole hell of alot more foolish to me
    Claiming to be what you are not yet is not only foolish, it is dishonorable.

Further, if you think that the value of an education is only the possession of a piece of paper, then you are even more a fool then I thought.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 09-14-2005 at 03:43 PM.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Claiming to be what you are not yet is not only foolish, it is dishonorable.

Further, if you think that the value of an education is only the possession of a piece of paper, then you are even more a fool then I thought.
    Be careful. You need to go to your quiet place.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Be careful. You need to go to your quiet place.
    Why? I am not claiming to be what I am not, or denying what I am.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Why? I am not claiming to be what I am not, or denying what I am.
    where did I claim that I was anything other than somebody on the track to become a firefighter?
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

where did I claim that I was anything other than somebody on the track to become a firefighter?
    all over the place
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

all over the place
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see it.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

WTF does any of THIS ***** have to do with "Federal response to New Orleans was "faster" than after Hugo and Andrew"?????????!!!!!!!!!!

After the eighth or ninth post it all went to hell in a handbasket! Talk about a major hijacking
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Sheri, thank you!!

Alan

(edited for spelling, don't ask.)

Permanently Removed

Default Back to the Original Topic at Hand

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    Watched our esteemed (cough, cough, gag, gag) senator from Louisiana Democratic deva Queen Mary on FOX News yesterday talk about how terrible the response was having no idea about the duties and responsibilites outlined in that little piece of paper called the Constitution regarding state and federal responsibility. You should have seen her duck and run when they showed the parking lot full of buses and the host tried 3 friggin' times to ask her why her good friend the Dem mayor and Dem Governor didn't use them to move people out of the city.

Intresting stat .. there were 11,000 Natioanl Guardsman either in NO or on the way to NO within 24 hopurs of being mobilzed and like 36,000 on the ground in the diaster area within 96 hours. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Sidenote: I witnessed a strong guard prense on the west side of the city when I showed up on Thursday. There were a lot of them involved in logistics and ground ops in my area.
    There probably would have been more National Guard in NO immediately, but oh yeah...the NO Units are deployed to Iraq...fighting a joke of a war.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    There probably would have been more National Guard in NO immediately, but oh yeah...the NO Units are deployed to Iraq...fighting a joke of a war.

if you can prove to me that more than 66% of The Louisiana National Guard was deployed to New Orleans following the hurricane, I'll leave you alone about that statement.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Permanently Removed

if you can prove to me that more than 66% of The Louisiana National Guard was deployed to New Orleans following the hurricane, I'll leave you alone about that statement.
    I guess I fail to recognize what I am supposed to prove. I don't remember saying anything about 66% in New Orleans. What I said was many of the New Orleans units are in Iraq.

Forum Member

I guess I fail to recognize what I am supposed to prove. I don't remember saying anything about 66% in New Orleans. What I said was many of the New Orleans units are in Iraq.

only 33% of Louisiana's national guard troops are in Iraq. Unless all remaining troops were called up and sent to New Orleans, there would have been no more troops in new orleans than there are now.

edit: and I am frankly appauled by anybody suggesting that us being in Iraq somehow delayed our response or dulled our abilities. We are America, if we can't deal with 2 things at once, then frankly, we're screwed.
    Last edited by Spectre08; 09-15-2005 at 09:30 AM.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ARH176
    Sheri, thank you!!

Alan

(edited for spelling, don't ask.)
    Spelled your name wrong? hehehe

I may have helped get the thread back on track, but sure didn't ease the tension and ugliness

I was going to respond to you privately so as to not hijack the thread any more than it already has been, but you don't have PM or email enabled.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

To suggest that the Louisiana national gurds's presence in Iraq had anything to do with thier response is ridiculous. The fact is there response was slighly delayed was the fact theaqt there were mobilized later than on would expect for a KNOWN problem ... and there was no set plan for thier use on the state level causing them to "stage" rather than immediatly act.

If you want to say that there activity is Iraq was a factor, this simply goes towards proving my point that the state OEM had no plan to utilize other regional/state resources to make up for the lower than usual number of guardsman. After all, they knew there was a percentage out of the state. A true plan has provisions for issues such as this .. and this just shows how unprepared the state was to exicute it.

On the point of the guard being in Iraq .. thier primary role is to support the military in active operations, not to sit around waiting for a disaster. If you feel that is thier primary role, maybe we should take away thier tanks and arty and equip them with rescue equiment and tractor trailers to haul supplies.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-15-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    To suggest that the Louisiana national gurds's presence in Iraq had anything to do with thier response is ridiculous. The fact is there response was slighly delayed was the fact theaqt there were mobilized later than on would expect for a KNOWN problem ... and there was no set plan for thier use on the state level causing them to "stage" rather than immediatly act.

If you want to say that there activity is Iraq was a factor, this simply goes towards proving my point that the state OEM had no plan to utilize other regional/state resources to make up for the lower than usual number of guardsman. After all, they knew there was a percentage out of the state. A true plan has provisions for issues such as this .. and this just shows how unprepared the state was to exicute it.

On the point of the guard being in Iraq .. thier primary role is to support the military in active operations, not to sit around waiting for a disaster. If you feel that is thier primary role, maybe we should take away thier tanks and arty and equip them with rescue equiment and tractor trailers to haul supplies.
    Alright, that's it....

When I made the comment about the NO units in Iraq, I did not mean it with complete seriousness. Everyone seems to want to point fingers....and after having political debates on other threads in this forum, I threw it out there...primarily because I feel that the National Guard exists for the protection of THIS country (Hence the name..."NATIONAL GUARD"). We have career military who should fight our wars elsewhere...especially one as ludicrous as the one in Iraq.

With that being said...one can't argue this disaster was screwed from the beginning. As I have said before on other threads...it has happened...clean it up...move on...get over it....make sure it doesn't happen again. But, I know that won't happen....like 9/11, this is going to be hashed out for years....we'll have to spend millions on Senate hearings, and ultimately nothing will change.

Now, I'll climb down off my soapbox.

My sincerest apologies to anyone I might have offended, oppressed, or somehow outraged by my statements.

Thank You

Forum Member

When I made the comment about the NO units in Iraq, I did not mean it with complete seriousness. Everyone seems to want to point fingers....and after having political debates on other threads in this forum, I threw it out there...primarily because I feel that the National Guard exists for the protection of THIS country (Hence the name..."NATIONAL GUARD"). We have career military who should fight our wars elsewhere...especially one as ludicrous as the one in Iraq.
    I think you need to go back and have another look at the Constitution.

and besides. There are about 50,000 National Guard troops deployed right now. there are over 310,000 still here in the U.S. doin' the weekend warrior thing.

And there wouldn't have to be that many deployed if the Clintoon administration hadn't spent it's entire 8 years focusing on the systematic scraping of our active duty military in favor of guard and reservists.

I agree completely that foreign wars should be almost the sole responsibility of the active duty military, they are the career soldiers who chose that life. But until we build an active duty military with the numbers to wage a full scale war without calling up guard troops, it's just not gonna happen.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Go get em spectre! How old are you? 19? 20? I really enjoyed watching you go after Dennis - then it was icing on the cake when parafire chimed in! You boys better get more on the ball before you go after Spectre! The kid is running circle around you two. HaHaHa.

Forum Member

Sorry everyone...I couldn't resist remarking on the ignorance here......

...primarily because I feel that the National Guard exists for the protection of THIS country (Hence the name..."NATIONAL GUARD"). We have career military who should fight our wars elsewhere...especially one as ludicrous as the one in Iraq.
    First you need to forget the mainstream, popular, MTV beliefs....and do some research.....this may help....check out what it says.....Thier mission is simple...first Federal, then State....

The Guard/Reserves have been getting activated for "real world" missions since the early 90's.

http://www.arng.army.mil/

Now, I'll climb down off my soapbox.
    Take it with you and burn it at your next drill.....
    Last edited by VinnieB; 09-19-2005 at 01:10 AM.

Forum Member

.....definately don't belong in the U.S. Military.

LOL....he's going into the USAF....that's not the US Military!!!

HAHAHA...relax...I love interservice rivalry.....besides....the USAF got it right.....they send the Officers to do the fighting.

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    .....besides....the USAF got it right.....they send the Officers to do the fighting.
    Yea, but they send their enlisted in first just to tell the officers where to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    The Guard/Reserves have been getting activated for "real world" missions since the early 90's.

http://www.arng.army.mil/
    Yeah, since the 1790's.....
    -Big Russ

Thread Information