Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Guess what little man, replace college with H.S. or holding off to marrage to have kids or holding off on marrage until you are established. And there were plenty of kids that only had good SAT's because they had good parents that paid through the nose for Kaplan classes for the kids and better schools, who then went of to school and "spent all day smoking pot". Did not matter the race of the kids. The fact of the matter is that scholarships to minorities are based on potential, not just needs, the courts have stated that potential must be the primary factor when race is involved and not just need. If you look at the real statistics, minorities on scholarships have about a fifty percent BETTER rate of graduation then those students in the general population. So take your racist and wrong attitudes elsewhere, because they don't belong in the fireservice and they definately don't belong in the U.S. Military.

What a bull**** arguement. I went to public school my entire life, and high school and junior high school in ARKANSAS, and I never got any special classes or anything. And I still scored 30 on my ACT and over 1300 on my SAT. But because my parents were white, and made more than $40,000 the year I applied for college, the U.S. Government demed that they would somehow be able to fork up $13,000 a year for my education. $13,000. More than 1/4 of their income.

and ALL people on scholarships have a better rate of graduation than those in general population, becuase ALOT of us, can't graduate because we simply can't afford to be there.

and I don't think that race should EVER be considered in ANYTHING. Especially scholarships. our country is so *** backwards. We talk about equality and trying to be fair, but yet we stack the deck AGAINST hard working middle class white people. I had a black financial aid counselor tell me straight to my face that BECAUSE I WAS WHITE, there was nothing she could do to help me. Now, replace the "white" with "black" and I would have cause for a lawsuit. So why don't I? Oh yeah. Becuase the "black man" has been "held down" so we have an obligation to give them a helping hand and bend over backwards to make them happy.

What exactly is "fair" about that? Tell me. Please.

My high school was 80% African American, and 15% Mexican. I have nothing against either race by any means. I played soccer for 4 years along side the Mexicans and was friends with every one of them. I ran the hall with as many black friends as I had white friends. But you know what? The guy in my graduating class who was 1 rank below me, I graduated #23 out of 300, got a full scholarship to a private school. A scholarship that was specificly earmarked for minorities. What is "fair" about that?

I'm not racist by any means. I just think that EVERYBODY should be held to the SAME standards and given the SAME opportunies. And that one person should not be given extra help because of the color of their skin. And the problem with this country is that NOW, that is racist. It's racist to say that black people SHOULDN'T get special benifits for being black.

edit: on yeah. and that kid who got the minority scholarship, his parents are both doctors and he lives in a million dollar house in the nicest neighborhood in Little Rock.
    Last edited by Spectre08; 09-13-2005 at 05:05 PM.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

If you had kept up good grades there would have been money for you, particularly with a family income of just $40K, if you could not find money, either you are lieing about your scores or your grades were in the toilet, or you just did not look hard enough, you could deffinately get student loans with the situation you discribed.

As for your racist undertones, I think that your personal need to start up this thread shows the type of race baiter that you are.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=73908
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

If you had kept up good grades there would have been money for you, particularly with a family income of just $40K, if you could not find money, either you are lieing about your scores or your grades were in the toilet, or you just did not look hard enough, you could deffinately get student loans with the situation you discribed.

As for your racist undertones, I think that your personal need to start up this thread shows the type of race baiter that you are.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=73908

haha. I graduated with a 3.8 thank you very much. My grades were fine. I got two $1000 scholarships for my grades. That's $2000 a year out of the $12,000 tuition. And I didn't wanna get loans because I don't have the dying urge to bury myself in debt before I'm 20.

edit: and my thread about farrakhan has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with making ignorant statements just to make people mad. If micheal moore had said that I'd have posted a thread entitled "that wacky fatass"
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    haha. I graduated with a 3.8 thank you very much. My grades were fine. I got two $1000 scholarships for my grades. That's $2000 a year out of the $12,000 tuition. And I didn't wanna get loans because I don't have the dying urge to bury myself in debt before I'm 20.
    You are not willing to take on a little bit of debt for your education? Got to appriciate those values.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

You are not willing to take on a little bit of debt for your education? Got to appriciate those values.
    I was willing to take on a bit of debt. I'm $8000 in debt after 1 year. What I'm not willing to do is take on over $40,000 in debt. My college education can wait until I can afford it.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

I was willing to take on a bit of debt. I'm $8000 in debt after 1 year. What I'm not willing to do is take on over $40,000 in debt. My college education can wait until I can afford it.
    And the cycle continues......
    -Big Russ

And the cycle continues......
    right. Becuase firefighting and the military are such empovershed careers
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

right. Becuase firefighting and the military are such empovershed careers
    Talk to us again WHEN YOU HAVE ACHIEVED THOSE THINGS. You are kind of counting the chickens before they hatch here.
    -Big Russ

Talk to us again WHEN YOU HAVE ACHIEVED THOSE THINGS. You are kind of counting the chickens before they hatch here.
    burying myself in 40 grand worth of debt for a piece of paper seems a whole hell of alot more foolish to me
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

burying myself in 40 grand worth of debt for a piece of paper seems a whole hell of alot more foolish to me
    Claiming to be what you are not yet is not only foolish, it is dishonorable.

Further, if you think that the value of an education is only the possession of a piece of paper, then you are even more a fool then I thought.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 09-14-2005 at 03:43 PM.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Claiming to be what you are not yet is not only foolish, it is dishonorable.

Further, if you think that the value of an education is only the possession of a piece of paper, then you are even more a fool then I thought.
    Be careful. You need to go to your quiet place.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Be careful. You need to go to your quiet place.
    Why? I am not claiming to be what I am not, or denying what I am.
    -Big Russ

Why? I am not claiming to be what I am not, or denying what I am.
    where did I claim that I was anything other than somebody on the track to become a firefighter?
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

where did I claim that I was anything other than somebody on the track to become a firefighter?
    all over the place
    -Big Russ

all over the place
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see it.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

WTF does any of THIS ***** have to do with "Federal response to New Orleans was "faster" than after Hugo and Andrew"?????????!!!!!!!!!!

After the eighth or ninth post it all went to hell in a handbasket! Talk about a major hijacking
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Sheri, thank you!!

Alan

(edited for spelling, don't ask.)

Permanently Removed

Default Back to the Original Topic at Hand

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    Watched our esteemed (cough, cough, gag, gag) senator from Louisiana Democratic deva Queen Mary on FOX News yesterday talk about how terrible the response was having no idea about the duties and responsibilites outlined in that little piece of paper called the Constitution regarding state and federal responsibility. You should have seen her duck and run when they showed the parking lot full of buses and the host tried 3 friggin' times to ask her why her good friend the Dem mayor and Dem Governor didn't use them to move people out of the city.

Intresting stat .. there were 11,000 Natioanl Guardsman either in NO or on the way to NO within 24 hopurs of being mobilzed and like 36,000 on the ground in the diaster area within 96 hours. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Sidenote: I witnessed a strong guard prense on the west side of the city when I showed up on Thursday. There were a lot of them involved in logistics and ground ops in my area.
    There probably would have been more National Guard in NO immediately, but oh yeah...the NO Units are deployed to Iraq...fighting a joke of a war.

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    There probably would have been more National Guard in NO immediately, but oh yeah...the NO Units are deployed to Iraq...fighting a joke of a war.

if you can prove to me that more than 66% of The Louisiana National Guard was deployed to New Orleans following the hurricane, I'll leave you alone about that statement.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Permanently Removed

if you can prove to me that more than 66% of The Louisiana National Guard was deployed to New Orleans following the hurricane, I'll leave you alone about that statement.
    I guess I fail to recognize what I am supposed to prove. I don't remember saying anything about 66% in New Orleans. What I said was many of the New Orleans units are in Iraq.

Thread Information