Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OSD122
    Yea, but they send their enlisted in first just to tell the officers where to go.

Combat Control leads the way. If I don't do well enough on the FDNY test to have a realistic shot at getting the job I'm probably gonna cross train into Pararescue or Combat Control after 3 or 4 years and reenlist.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Yeah, since the 1790's.....

LOL...oh how your are SOOOO correct!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    Combat Control leads the way. If I don't do well enough on the FDNY test to have a realistic shot at getting the job I'm probably gonna cross train into Pararescue or Combat Control after 3 or 4 years and reenlist.

You might as well do that anyway b/c it will take you 3-4 years to get hired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    You might as well do that anyway b/c it will take you 3-4 years to get hired.
    Well, the next FDNY test, the one I'm going to take, is next october, exactly 3 full years before my contract will be up. If I cross train after the minimum time, 24 months, then I still have to reup because the training period for Pararescue is so long, and I'll be in until after the next test.

and besides, I'm gonna give firefighting a go, and maybe I'll love it so much I won't want to change.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    I think you need to go back and have another look at the Constitution.

and besides. There are about 50,000 National Guard troops deployed right now. there are over 310,000 still here in the U.S. doin' the weekend warrior thing.

And there wouldn't have to be that many deployed if the Clintoon administration hadn't spent it's entire 8 years focusing on the systematic scraping of our active duty military in favor of guard and reservists.

I agree completely that foreign wars should be almost the sole responsibility of the active duty military, they are the career soldiers who chose that life. But until we build an active duty military with the numbers to wage a full scale war without calling up guard troops, it's just not gonna happen.
    How many military bases were just closed by the Bush Administration?

I think I would have less of a problem with National Guard troops being sent to a foreign war if it had some degree of value to it. We went to Iraq with a mission...that mission was completed when Saddam Hussein was captured. Now it's time to come home....but we're still there.

I see my friends being deployed to a war that is just not worth fighting anymore, and yeah, I have a little bit of a problem with the National Guard, who is responsible for defending OUR soil, being deployed to defend SOMEONE ELSE'S soil.

Forum Member

You just don't get it do you? No matter how much anybody dislikes this war, we cannot just pull out. If we do that then we'll end up with another Afghanistan with a huge base of operation for terrorists. We need to stay long enough to have a stable government in place before we can pull out. Otherwise the unstable situation will breed terrorists that will make 9-11 look like a dress rehersal.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    How many military bases were just closed by the Bush Administration?

I think I would have less of a problem with National Guard troops being sent to a foreign war if it had some degree of value to it. We went to Iraq with a mission...that mission was completed when Saddam Hussein was captured. Now it's time to come home....but we're still there.

I see my friends being deployed to a war that is just not worth fighting anymore, and yeah, I have a little bit of a problem with the National Guard, who is responsible for defending OUR soil, being deployed to defend SOMEONE ELSE'S soil.
    Obviously you have no clue what the current BRAC is all about. It isn't just about closing bases, its about realignment of the Military given the resources it has. By closing bases and combining their resources they allow for more efficient use of the Active duty positions. There are no active Duty numbers cuts. There are civilian job loses but no military personnel reductions. The real cuts in military strength happened in the 90's. the reduction is troops that occured then was incredible. We went from a nearly 600 ship Navy to 300. It seemed like every week in Bremerton Shipyard that another ship came in to be decommed.
    I am not going to rehash why you are wrong about this war not being worht fighting for "anymore". You won't listen anyway. But you abviously don't understand the mission and focus of the National Guard as has been established in earlier posts.

What did you think. Get Sadaam and Get out. You really are Naive. You don't just get the evil dictator out and then leave so his cronies can retake control. After WW2 did we just get hitler and the get out. Do you realize that we were helping to establish democracy in Germany for over 10 yrs after their surrender.
    Come one Parafire-get a clue about the real world
    Last edited by chrnea; 09-20-2005 at 11:11 AM.
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chrnea
    Obviously you have no clue what the current BRAC is all about. It isn't just about closing bases, its about realignment of the Military given the resources it has. By closing bases and combining their resources they allow for more efficient use of the Active duty positions. There are no active Duty numbers cuts. There are civilian job loses but no military personnel reductions. The real cuts in military strength happened in the 90's. the reduction is troops that occured then was incredible. We went from a nearly 600 ship Navy to 300. It seemed like every week in Bremerton Shipyard that another ship came in to be decommed.
    I am not going to rehash why you are wrong about this war not being worht fighting for "anymore". You won't listen anyway. But you abviously don't understand the mission and focus of the National Guard as has been established in earlier posts.

What did you think. Get Sadaam and Get out. You really are Naive. You don't just get the evil dictator out and then leave so his cronies can retake control. After WW2 did we just get hitler and the get out. Do you realize that we were helping to establish democracy in Germany for over 10 yrs after their surrender.
    Come one Parafire-get a clue about the real world
    Don't you just love all the liberal hype that you hear now:

"We need a stronger military presence in the US!"

Six weeks ago they would have had a heart attack if the military was deployed in the US.

Good thing there is all of this stuff to complain about the President about. They don't have to stoop to:

"Pres. Bush wears blue suits. What's the matter with grey suits? Grey suits are better."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Don't you just love all the liberal hype that you hear now:

"We need a stronger military presence in the US!"

Six [changed for effect]years [/changed for effect] ago they would have had a heart attack if the military was deployed in the US.
    At that time it would have been the ultra-right that was up in arms though.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    At that time it would have been the ultra-right that was up in arms though.
    Why? Please explain

MembersZone Subscriber

George,

I'm pretty sure Dennis means the black helicopter/Waco/Ruby Ridge/New World Order crowd.

IMHO, you're both right. The far left and far right would have both been screaming their heads off.

Forum Member

Why? Please explain
    Montana Militiamen and others. Part of Tim McVay's entire delussional reasoning for bombing OKC was that he thought that the U.S. Military would eventually start opperations on U.S. soil to deny folks their rights.

It is fun/scary how close the extremists on each end are to each others paranoia.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I don't fit the mold of extremist then.

I happen to think the general prinicple of the mission to take out David Koresh and Co. was a good one. The operational plan and the rules of engagement placed law enforcement officers lives in needless jeopardy. The pre-raid intelligence was incomplete.

As far as the militia's are concerned, an armed militia hellbent on the overthrow of the US government, regardless of whether it is right, left or a switchitter, is dangerous and arguably illegal.

Forum Member

I guess I don't fit the mold of extremist then.

I happen to think the general prinicple of the mission to take out David Koresh and Co. was a good one. The operational plan and the rules of engagement placed law enforcement officers lives in needless jeopardy. The pre-raid intelligence was incomplete.

As far as the militia's are concerned, an armed militia hellbent on the overthrow of the US government, regardless of whether it is right, left or a switchitter, is dangerous and arguably illegal.
    Something we are totally on the same page on!!!!!
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Forgive me for what I wrote earlier, just a little emotional with some of the comments.
    Last edited by rsoup72; 09-21-2005 at 12:16 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey rsoup,
    We are supporting you all in everyway we can. We can't all come down, God knows I wanted to be there to help you all. But we are all doing what we can. I am sure the stress down there is rough and I believe that this was the source of your frustration. I think some of the comments are tounge in cheek though. We are praying for you guys and we are doing whatever we can to help. Be safe Bro!
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

Thread Information