Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Gotta Put A Little Humour Out To The World

Keeping spouse requires upkeep. When it comes to male grooming, women are often the ones wielding the tweezers

Misty Harris CanWest News Service September 12, 2005

It's often said that behind every great man there's a great woman. What they don't tell you is that she's there because she's either shaving her partner's back, popping his hard-to-reach zits or exfoliating the dead skin off his sunburn.

Such is the unsavoury but almost universal behaviour of the fairer sex behind closed doors. Just as primates are predisposed to grooming their mates, women feel inexplicably compelled to clean, polish and moisturize our men until their testosterone turns a pale shade of pink.

Ask any guy and he'll admit -- perhaps a tad reluctantly -- that at least one female in his life has prodded him with tweezers, tugged at a stray eyebrow hair or attacked a pimple on his back as if it were threatening the state of democracy.

Some might call it obsessive. We prefer to call it good spousekeeping.

To be clear, the goal isn't to turn men into women with these cosmetic rituals. Who then would kill spiders and open jars?

We simply want a guy with the body of Brad Pitt, the grooming of Prince William, the hairlessness of a dolphin, two separate eyebrows and the willingness to buy us tampons on the way home from work.

Really, is that too much to ask?

Because men don't come with warranties, their significant others can't return them to the manufacturer -- namely, mommy dearest -- when something malfunctions. So it's imperative to perform regular maintenance, which entails everything from monitoring his cholesterol to overseeing his skincare habits and preventing the unholy union of socks with sandals.

Writing in the new issue of T: The New York Times Style Magazine, S.S. Fair issues a clarion call to women who want to further this curious practice.

"It's time we divert those queer eyes from our straight guys and take over decorating and renovating the opposite sex ourselves -- it's time for us to rescue the clueless hetero man from being bossed around by anyone but us."

To our credit, we somehow manage to control our compulsive grooming urges at the beginning of a relationship. Much the same way guys control urges to clean the bathroom -- their entire lives.

But as a comfort level builds and the bathroom door is less likely to stay closed, a female's desire to bust out the hair clippers and channel Edward Scissorhands becomes too overpowering to ignore.

Of course, straight men would sooner watch a Highway to Heaven marathon with Richard Simmons than submit to the whims of a wannabe spousekeeper. But upon realizing that a woman brandishing tweezers, antiseptic and a safety pin is likely the closest they'll ever get to S & M, most surrender.

Just days ago, a co-worker confessed her husband gamely indulges her need to pluck the wiry black hairs from his neck.

Another revealed a profound sadness that her talon-like nails bar her from attending to her boyfriend's back blemishes. (If he ever needs a tracheotomy, however, she's totally prepared.)

A third woman sheepishly chimed in, exposing her secret penchant for peeling the dead skin off her hubby's arms and shoulders.

Not surprisingly, this type of gritty discourse is lacking around the water cooler, thus leading every man to believe he's alone in being treated like a science project in the bathroom. Each feels that if anyone were to discover why his nose hairs no longer runneth over, Maxim would suspend his subscription and he'd be denied entry at Hooters.

Today, we break the code of silence and recognize those who have suffered physical indignities in the name of female neuroticism. Men, believe it when we say you are not alone.

Just follow the trail of pink testosterone.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005

Because men don't come with warranties, their significant others can't return them to the manufacturer -- namely, mommy dearest -- when something malfunctions.
    This works both ways.....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Because men don't come with warranties, their significant others can't return them to the manufacturer -- namely, mommy dearest -- when something malfunctions.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    This works both ways.....
    I beg to differ..I was able to return mine.... Although she still keeps calling...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

What? You want us to accept you as you are???

Now what would we do for fun if we couldn't pluck your nose hair!

Forum Member

Like Jeff Foxworthy says,Just because they aren't using a cattle prod or branding iro doesn't mean they aren't training you."
    Who was it said that men marry a woman hoping that she won't change and a woman will marry a man hoping that he will?

Thread Information