Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Default AFG Grants suspended?

Heard from someone a little while ago that the Assistance to Firefighters Grants program has been suspended because FEMA needs the money for hurricane relief. Anybody have the scoop on this development? Fact or rumor?

We didn't apply this year so it won't affect us, but it would be a tragic blow to the fire service if this is true.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Default Almost certainly false

I doubt they have the legal authority.

Funds are appropriated by Congress for specific uses and an agency cannot usually reallocate them based on a whim. A good comparison is the military - if Congress votes to fund an aircraft carrier, the pentagon can't up and decide to change direction and build armored vehicles because that's the need of the day.

Now, reviewing apps and announcing awards may suspended for a while simply because the people that administer the program are needed to deal with the hurricane response.

I haven't heard of that happening but it might be under consideration (or already done) and that could easily lead to a rumor that the program had been canned.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Well, hopefully it is just a rumor....and you know how rumors get started. I hate to be guilty of getting this one off the ground, but I'd sure like to know if it's true or not....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Its not true. Katrina relief has been approved by Congress in the amount of $62.3 billion. A few hundred thousand dollars is nothing at this point.

No truth whatsoever to this ! Kill this rumor now! You really think FEMA needs naother black eye. The slow response and unpreparedness is what the press is complaining about, that would just be adding fuel to the fire. It might delay SAFER announcments for a little but, nothing is in danger of ceasing with AFGP.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Someone told you wrong!!

Someone told you wrong!!!! Just got off the phone with Rep. Carnahan's office. We were awarded a grant of $57,000 for an emergency back-up generator for our building. Formal announcement on Friday. Don't pay attention to rumors----they are usually wrong!!!!!

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Ditto -- PA was notified.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

I just got a call from one of my departments in VT who is being announced on Friday. They got the call from the governor's office.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 09-14-2005 at 06:22 PM.
    Kurt Bradley

Thumbs up Fire Act Grants Safe

Just to dispel some of the rumors I see flying around through here, I would like to point out to everyone, in case you missed it, the significant event that just occurred this week and how it concerns the grants.

Some of you are worried about the the money supply for the Fire Act Grants, both this year and next year. I think it is significantly important to point out who has been placied in charge of FEMA.

Folks he is from the Fire Service, a veteran 30 year Chief of Miami-Dade FD, he handled Hurricane Andrew and the plane crash in the Everglades. This is not someone without experience here. He is from the Fire Services and what is the current cry from the public in New Orleans?

"You were slow to respond", "You didn't have the right things to respond". These are all "preparedness issues" folks. That is what FEMA is for; "preparedness and recovery" and who are the front line people involved with those two issues here? First Responders!

I think the program just got a huge boost with the selection and appointment of the new director and I foresee a stronger, substantially more funded program in our future.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Well said ktb!

Thanks k3, I only hope I don't end up with egg on my face!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt, Myself and thousands of other departments in the country pray you are right. Without these grants I don't know what we'd do. Also, thanks for the contributions that yourself, Alana, and BC79er along with the other grant writers I don't know yet give to the forums. Without the insight from you guys we couldn't make it.
    Last edited by flashpoint7401; 09-14-2005 at 09:32 PM.

I have always tried to go to sleep ,each and every night of my life, contemplating what it was that I learned today. The education process is continuously being undertaken. I think Brian, Alana and myself enjoy "sharing the wealth" and breadth of our combined knowledge of these programs. All of us understand how vital it is that you all are successful wherever possible. After all, it is my own and my families ( scatterred throughout the US), lives that are in your capable hands too! We just want to be somewhat assured that, if and when the time comes, that I am trapped, in need of cardiac resuscitation or gasping for air in a superheated ,toxic smoke environment that I have a reasonable expectation of looking up and seeing a first responder doing their job with the right tools! I kind of think of it as "life insurance"
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information