Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

We do on my volunteer departments.Others have different SOPs but I think I'd pack up anyway to avoid inhaling the mesobutylbadstuffs that come with car fires.
    That's me.I'm a big chicken but I do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Would it not be SOP to be smoked up when working a vehicle fire? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Quote Originally Posted by ftfdverbenec770
    this wasnt really what i was hopping it was goin to be like. i was really dissapointed in the show top to bottom.

i had to chuckle at the car fire scene. they talked about the car fire and how it emits poisious gasses, and then it showed the guys on the line with no packs on.
    I was thinking the same thing.

But, I thought that it was a pretty good show and I will definatly tape it this week as I have a game at 1900 and won't get home until 2100.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Watched it with the kid (12) and we thought it was cool. Now he wants to move to Boston and work for the FD. I've been a volly for about 15 years for 2 different departments, 1st one was pretty high speed-combined with paid, 150 ff's in the district between 7 stations, always new equipment, dept ladder was volly staffed and went on all structures in the district, 44,000+ pop in the district, lots of runs, etc. Moved away from there, current department is located in a sprawling metropolis of 1800 60 miles from everywhere. Have an interstate and major highway that keeps us busy with wreck runs and the occasional field fire but not much else. Watching the show made me miss the good old days.

Question

Was anyone else surprised when the new guy came to E37 (from ladder 2 I think) they showed him the rig, the basics of the pump and then he was driving?

Were just a 3 station department and it takes months of training before you can be cleared to drive. Is this normal in the big departments? Is there a shortage of people who want to drive? Just curious.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default New Guy Driving

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Was anyone else surprised when the new guy came to E37 (from ladder 2 I think) they showed him the rig, the basics of the pump and then he was driving?

Were just a 3 station department and it takes months of training before you can be cleared to drive. Is this normal in the big departments? Is there a shortage of people who want to drive? Just curious.

You did notice the fact that it's television, and you must've heard about editing and things shown out of context, right? It wasn't the guy's first time ever driving an Engine Company. He was trained to drive and Operate both a Truck and an Engine, in Recruit School, had cross-trained at his old Company to work "across the floor" on the Engine quartered with his previous Ladder Company ( to allow swapping, and for detail purposes). And, when he got to 37, he was given familiarization training and in-house drills on running the Pump, and also had a chance to drive around our first-due area a bit. When they said it was his first time driving, they meant TO A JOB. Like I said, it's TV, it's entertainment (not training), and you can probably look back through previous posts on these Firehouse.Com Forums, or on the Official Fan site that Discovery.Com runs, and find answers to a lot of questions that have already been clarified. I hope this satisfies your curiosity about the Driving issue in Boston. Oh, another thing you asked, regarding guys wanting to drive...In Boston, when you're on an Engine Company, you rotate job assignments, but in a few houses, you'll find that there may be an older, experienced Jake who drives regularly, because it's less physically demanding on his body, he knows the rig and the District inside out, etc. But, for the most part, it's done by rotation, and if you're a young guy, it's the one job on an Engine Company that you despise because you essentially become a spectator at a fire, after you get everything hooked up, and your Company has water. When you're a young, aggressive Firefighter, it's the last place you want to be-OUTSIDE. We are an interior attack Fire Dept. and that's where we do our best, face the greatest challenges, and have the most fun, crawling down a hallway, pushing a line into the involved apt. or room. If you're the chauffeur, you miss all of that. Say hi to Russ Accardi for me!!

Stay Safe, wherever you are

Captain Chaos

Talking

In the last episode, I noticed a former jake from my FD on the show... Billy Benevelii of Rescue 2. Tell him the guys on Marlborough Fire Group 1 at HQ said he was looking good!

PS: good luck on the District exam!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    We do on my volunteer departments.Others have different SOPs but I think I'd pack up anyway to avoid inhaling the mesobutylbadstuffs that come with car fires.
    That's me.I'm a big chicken but I do it anyway.
    I dont call that being "chicken" I call it looking out for your own safety, and using the gear provided to best advantage. Thats why we have the stuff. Earlier in the week when my engine lit up I got a face full because some nice fellow bystander decided to hit it with an air/water can, even as I was using dry chem. The blow back from the water and steam was just lovely.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Default Meals

My house in Philly is 20 bucks a tour, 2 dayworks and 2 nightworks. It generally doesnt cost that much and the left over goes to the kitty where we spend it as we see fit. I cook 90% of the time and feed 11 guys on around 40-50 bucks. We eat good everytime and eat great often.

Packs on an auto, not me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good to see the LT. take responsibility last night and require his crew to be packed up on car fires. It takes balls especially when you're a younger officer as he is to stand up for safety. But my hat off to him.

Thread Information