MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Firehouse USA: Boston

Premier will be on Discovery Channel next Tuesday night.

About time!
    Tivo is all set!
    Last edited by Firetacoma1; 09-13-2005 at 11:35 PM.

Forum Member

YEA, enough of the waiting!!!
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

starts tonight, cant wait
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Got it on now.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Would it not be SOP to be smoked up when working a vehicle fire? Inquiring minds wanna know.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Cpt. Common Sents

did anyone else notice that 1 of the guys was wearing roll down boots and that well most were not wearing bunker pants

Forum Member

From what I understand they have the option of wearing 3/4 boots.
    Though, some of those scenes of fire attack were recreated just for the show, usually a lot less fire and smoke machines. Its hard to tell what parts are legit and what is made for tv.

Cpt. Common Sents

well if you cant tell whats legit and what not then I say good! adds to the REALITY TV point of it

MembersZone Subscriber

Default air packs, we dont need no stinking air packs

this wasnt really what i was hopping it was goin to be like. i was really dissapointed in the show top to bottom.

i had to chuckle at the car fire scene. they talked about the car fire and how it emits poisious gasses, and then it showed the guys on the line with no packs on.
    Your a daisy if you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nbfcfireman
    did anyone else notice that 1 of the guys was wearing roll down boots and that well most were not wearing bunker pants
    Yep, I got that too, but felt the "No BA's in a Car Fire" was a bigger problem. I missed the commentary on that part though. Seems to have been a small case of "Do as I talk, not as I do".

MembersZone Subscriber

The BFD has been around alot longer then you have, who cares if the don't wear BA's thats there choice. Are SOPs state its your choice, if you don't stand in the smoke what does it matter. Theres no point to go balls to the walls for a car fire anyway, stand back a little knock the fire down and then put the fire out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wyr76365
    The BFD has been around alot longer then you have, who cares if the don't wear BA's thats there choice. Are SOPs state its your choice, if you don't stand in the smoke what does it matter. Theres no point to go balls to the walls for a car fire anyway, stand back a little knock the fire down and then put the fire out.
    Who cares? Maybe their wife and kids, maybe the taxpayers that are supplying the equipment and will now be stuck with their healthcare bill 20 years down the road when they develop cancer.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hold on

car fire thread is this way boys!
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=73801

Lets not get into their SOP's (right or wrong) on this thread. This is about whether or not we liked the show.
    Personally, I liked it. Sure some of it was obviously staged but overall it was good.
    Now I have a question for you big city guys. 10 bucks for one meal. Jeeez thats seems to be alot of money for one meal. What are they eating? Lobster?
    They might as well have a fancy resturaunt cater for that money.
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by chrnea
    Now I have a question for you big city guys. 10 bucks for one meal. Jeeez thats seems to be alot of money for one meal. What are they eating? Lobster? They might as well have a fancy resturaunt cater for that money.
    In the Cleveland suburb where I work, We usualy keep it to $5/guy/day. That's usualy enough for supper and left-overs for lunch the next shift.
    Must be a cost of living thing for the big cities!
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

(Previously posted as Hobbitt. Registered December '02,)

Forum Member

more then likely a cost of living thing.
    i just moved back to new york from florida.
    in florida 50 buckls got me 2 or 3 weeks worth of food for the house.
    now it gets me a weeks worth

Forum Member

Arrow

also seehere and here
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Weruj,
    I don't know about you but I keep coming back to this thread withojne of your links. Are you slipping.
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrnea
    Hey Weruj,
    I don't know about you but I keep coming back to this thread withojne of your links. Are you slipping.
    ........chr........I could have made a boo-boo ......I was tryingto get the links to the other TWO threads going on about this same subject. I will try and edit it later when I get home from work.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I saw the first pilot a few months ago but missed this show. Anyone know if they play reruns during the week like they do "Rescue Me?"

Forum Member

FYI, there is a couple of different threads on this going, so most of my posts have been there. But let me just say a couple of things....This is a reality show based on one firehouse and the guys there. This is NOT a training show. This show is made for the general public and even though most of us (FF's) will watch it, we are not the target audience.
    Our SOP's are for Boston and the problems we deal with. And it has worked for us, longer than most....Remember that the film crew filmed everyday all day and night. Each day they would send 10-15 hours of film to Hollywood and peice things togethere to make a show, 13 in all. We here in Boston had very little editing privleges, so it is what it is.
    As far as the meals go, the other groups are 5 or 6 bucks- it so happens that they are big eaters .
    Stay safe

Forum Member

We do on my volunteer departments.Others have different SOPs but I think I'd pack up anyway to avoid inhaling the mesobutylbadstuffs that come with car fires.
    That's me.I'm a big chicken but I do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Would it not be SOP to be smoked up when working a vehicle fire? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ftfdverbenec770
    this wasnt really what i was hopping it was goin to be like. i was really dissapointed in the show top to bottom.

i had to chuckle at the car fire scene. they talked about the car fire and how it emits poisious gasses, and then it showed the guys on the line with no packs on.
    I was thinking the same thing.

But, I thought that it was a pretty good show and I will definatly tape it this week as I have a game at 1900 and won't get home until 2100.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Watched it with the kid (12) and we thought it was cool. Now he wants to move to Boston and work for the FD. I've been a volly for about 15 years for 2 different departments, 1st one was pretty high speed-combined with paid, 150 ff's in the district between 7 stations, always new equipment, dept ladder was volly staffed and went on all structures in the district, 44,000+ pop in the district, lots of runs, etc. Moved away from there, current department is located in a sprawling metropolis of 1800 60 miles from everywhere. Have an interstate and major highway that keeps us busy with wreck runs and the occasional field fire but not much else. Watching the show made me miss the good old days.

Forum Member

Question

Was anyone else surprised when the new guy came to E37 (from ladder 2 I think) they showed him the rig, the basics of the pump and then he was driving?

Were just a 3 station department and it takes months of training before you can be cleared to drive. Is this normal in the big departments? Is there a shortage of people who want to drive? Just curious.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default New Guy Driving

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Was anyone else surprised when the new guy came to E37 (from ladder 2 I think) they showed him the rig, the basics of the pump and then he was driving?

Were just a 3 station department and it takes months of training before you can be cleared to drive. Is this normal in the big departments? Is there a shortage of people who want to drive? Just curious.

You did notice the fact that it's television, and you must've heard about editing and things shown out of context, right? It wasn't the guy's first time ever driving an Engine Company. He was trained to drive and Operate both a Truck and an Engine, in Recruit School, had cross-trained at his old Company to work "across the floor" on the Engine quartered with his previous Ladder Company ( to allow swapping, and for detail purposes). And, when he got to 37, he was given familiarization training and in-house drills on running the Pump, and also had a chance to drive around our first-due area a bit. When they said it was his first time driving, they meant TO A JOB. Like I said, it's TV, it's entertainment (not training), and you can probably look back through previous posts on these Firehouse.Com Forums, or on the Official Fan site that Discovery.Com runs, and find answers to a lot of questions that have already been clarified. I hope this satisfies your curiosity about the Driving issue in Boston. Oh, another thing you asked, regarding guys wanting to drive...In Boston, when you're on an Engine Company, you rotate job assignments, but in a few houses, you'll find that there may be an older, experienced Jake who drives regularly, because it's less physically demanding on his body, he knows the rig and the District inside out, etc. But, for the most part, it's done by rotation, and if you're a young guy, it's the one job on an Engine Company that you despise because you essentially become a spectator at a fire, after you get everything hooked up, and your Company has water. When you're a young, aggressive Firefighter, it's the last place you want to be-OUTSIDE. We are an interior attack Fire Dept. and that's where we do our best, face the greatest challenges, and have the most fun, crawling down a hallway, pushing a line into the involved apt. or room. If you're the chauffeur, you miss all of that. Say hi to Russ Accardi for me!!

Stay Safe, wherever you are

Captain Chaos

Thread Information