Thread: Dear Johns

Forum Member

Default Dear Johns

Has anyone received a Dear John letter yet ? I guess no news is good news for now !

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Friday 9-16

The first round of "Dear John" letters will be out this friday.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Traveler & good luck getting past Friday happy !

Forum Member

don't get me wrong, but how are you sure that the "dear john's" will start this friday. Seems like whenever there is a time frame, something or someone gets it messed up. Not trying to stir anything, just wanting to know. Thanks and GOOD LUCK.

MembersZone Subscriber

ffmedic11 all of us that work with these grants have various contacts that are "supposed" to be better informed than the majority of us. We call upon these people, keep our ears to the rail ,and most importantly, we listen to what they tell us. Armed with that, we try to give you all the benefit of our contacts within programs and through various channels. Brian, myself and Dixie generally tend to agree on most things in here, because we compare what our seperate contacts share with us and then reach a consensus on what it all means. My contacts indicate that the DJs will be sometime in the next 7 to 10 days. Since the goal is to have the program awards all awarded by Oct 31, I suspect that the first round will be out next week for those that did not make it past "competititve scoring". All of us will know by"spook day". Considering what has happened in previous years, this is a VAST improvement from before. At least we will not be waiting till after Xmas, like last year.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 09-15-2005 at 05:11 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

ktb,
    I have been reading alot of the posts here and have learned alot from them. I agree that you,BC and Dixie have offered the most valuable info into the AFG. You all have done us a great service by providing the info needed to get through the entire process. Thank you for all the info and good luck in the future.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dear Johns

When do e-mails get sent out for DJs? We're in New York and were wondering when we should expect it to appear if we're getting one?

MembersZone Subscriber

Read above guy, they will probably start late this week or next week sometime, if they stick to what they are telling us at DHS.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Remember No DJ, is a good DJ !

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I meant ....

What time of day? I've seen that some ?s and 1199As are sent out at midnight ...

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen them going out at all times of the day. I can't really be specific and I don;t think they are either.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Default Nothing Friday

Well good guess above ! But definitely no Dear Johns sent out Friday. That is unless my department & the other 20 I talked with are lying.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Tuesday is historically the DJ day of the week, but since this year they're being new and different on some things, maybe it will get changed up.

Forum Member

well Tuesday's gone with the wind. Anyone get DJ's today ?

Forum Member

Nothing yet, curious if all the Safer 1199's are completely out. Have two grants out there, a vehicle in the AFG and 3 firefighters in the other.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Kurt,

You do a great job keeping our departments informed. People must learn Friday could mean two or more weeks in government.
    Last edited by TEMS7401; 09-23-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Forum Member

Default Still Wondering?

Did anyone get the "DJ" yet ? My prayers are with all of you. Good Luck to the rest of us whom wait in anticipation of the news

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope............

MembersZone Subscriber

No.... This is killing me.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

To the best of ALL possible sources, no specific known word on when DJs will start. I would expect by 1st to mid-Oct., maybe later with the 2nd hurricane looming. No news is still good news!

**Maybe should add a late weekend PS...since Brian rode through Rita ok, Hey, Bri, you heard of any updates on the DJs??? I'll check again tomorrow, guys!
    Last edited by dixiechicknc; 09-25-2005 at 11:16 PM.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Forum Member

General request: If you have bad information, keep it to yourself. I've been frequenting this forum for a number of years now, and I used to get a lot of worthy knowledge from it. Now I just get the feeling like everyone is trying to be an expert, and throwing around a lot of false, or at best, misinformed information...please, if you don't have anythying good to say, don't say it to look good.

Forum Member

Holy crap. I couldn't have said it any better. WAY TO GO !!!!!! Amen

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pride373
    General request: If you have bad information, keep it to yourself. I've been frequenting this forum for a number of years now, and I used to get a lot of worthy knowledge from it. Now I just get the feeling like everyone is trying to be an expert, and throwing around a lot of false, or at best, misinformed information...please, if you don't have anythying good to say, don't say it to look good.
    Wow. To what do I owe that honor? Because you don't know me? Because I have not helped your department...or what? Just because none of my sources know (or have answered my emails, yet this week) an exact date, means I am giving "misinformation". NOW, if I had said, I KNOW IT TO BE A FACT...the DJS are coming _______... rather than merely an opinion based on the feds original date adding several months for recent disasters, problems within their offices (holdups with '05 AFG disbursement, etc.) and upcoming SAFER, then that would be misinfo...

Now, maybe I have overstepped my bounds, and you weren't directing that at me. Nor the guy behind you, agreeing with you pointing at me, as well. I saw your post the second you posted and decided to give myself a day to cool off and think about a mature and dignified answer.

I do feel you intended it to be directed to me. As I said, perhaps because you know nothing about me. Not what I do, whom I do it for, or how long I have done so. Nor have you had the privilege of seeing my resume. I do not claim to be something I am not. I have been working on & writing grants for Fire Departments since you were still in High School, Pride (if your profile is correct). Not a knock on you, just sharing my longevity in this field.

I have a ton of reasons for helping out Fire Departments all across the US, that I don't need to go into here (not a single one of them monetary or related to a "job", btw). But the bulk of my time is spent helping departments right here in my home town county and surrounding areas...

But, like I said, if I am misreading the post the wrong way, and it's not directed towards me...then please, let me apologize now. If not, then my post stands as I have written it...my work speaks for itself, my departments will vouch for my creds. As will Brian and Kurt and numerous others in other parts of the country (FDs, FMO, State FM, other grant writers, etc.) If you would like a list of references, in order to feel better about info that I am posting, I will be glad to email it to you, offline...and let me add, please feel free to contact any department - any fire chief on the list I have worked with, and they will vouch for me AND my info.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pride373
    I read back through this entire thread, and couldn't find any mentions of dates in ABSOLUTE form. The post from Dixiechick said "...no specific known word on when DJs will start. I would expect by 1st to mid-Oct., maybe later..." If anybody reads that as a fact or "bad information" they should perhaps take a bit of a lesson in American lexicography. Just my opinion.
    earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DJ"s

Dixie - from a novice - i - and i am sure the vast majority of those out here in forum land - appreciate all the advice and guidance the 3 musketeets (you, BC, & Kurt) provide. from the business world i work in - I read... LOUD and CLEAR.... that these are based on information recieved from multiple sources, consolidated and compared, and released to keep us all up to date. keep up the good work - all 3 of you and be safe!!!!!!!

Thread Information