Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Well we have some very steep hills here so it helps to be able to split in low range. But that is as I said "money is no object". If money was an object, which of course it is, I would spec ~430 HP, with a 13 speed since it isn't all THAT often that you would like to split in low range, and with the wide torque of a modern engine, you can usually "pull out" the next gear if you shift fast enough.

Birken

I thought that's where you were headed. The reasoning behind the 9's here is they pull hills pretty well and the less experienced drivers don't get "lost" in the splits: the driveshafts stay in 'em longer. How about a General with an 8-92 brown tag,advanced cam,and double turbos? That turkey will motor if you got the canakas to drive it(3300 gal).Got a lot of time in the 13's but I haven't had the pleasure of trying a 18 yet.A 15 now and again,those are a pretty good box. T.C.

Forum Member

We don't generally put anyone behind the wheel of one unless they really know what they are doing. There are Eastern hills and then there are Western hills. Also our distances driven are quite large so it is nice to be able to do 67 or so on top and still be able to creep around a fire camp. 90% of the calls our water tenders run around here are for wildland fires in summer which happens pretty often.

Birken

Birken,Don't take this the wrong way but you can have your hills and "gas brush". I kinda like things the way they are around here,moderate and peaceful with the worse wildfire hazard being white pine and spruce or fir.Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Wfire32 My Company Was In The Same Boat When We Bought Our Ladder Truck. It Has A Isc 350 Cummins Moter With An Allison M3000 Trans. We Cut The Cost Of The Truck By Going With A Small Moter. Not A Good Thing For My Dept When Every Where We Go Is Up Hill. (11% Grade / 6.7 Mph) It's Like Taking A Pick-up And Loading It Up With 30,000 Pounds. Not To Good. If Most Of Your Roads Are Flat It's Not To Bad Then. (our Truck Runs Like An Ape, When On Flat Roads) We Are In The Process Of Ordering A New Truck. Instead Of Cutting Cost In The Drive Tran. We Are Cutting Cost By Not Having "a Prade Peace". Remember Looks Donen't Fight Firers, But A Truck That Gets You There Will. Look At The Over All Picture And Price Is In There. Buy Whats Best For Your Dept And It's Needs. Torque Is More Important For Hills And Hoursepower Is For The Flats.
    Resque101 Is Right, Tell Your Sells Rep To Give You A Dino Sheet For Your Driveline And If He Can't, Call An Engine Dealer Near You. Detroit Is Very Helpful And They Are An Allison Dealer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Birken,Don't take this the wrong way but you can have your hills and "gas brush". I kinda like things the way they are around here,moderate and peaceful with the worse wildfire hazard being white pine and spruce or fir.Hehe T.C.
    Oh but delivering water on a wildland fire is as good as it gets. You get to ride in an air conditioned truck with an air ride seat and reasonable suspension and drive it back and forth between the hydrant and fire and you also get a raise every time you do it because the state pays your wages then, plus the department gets paid for every minute the truck is out, plus you get free meals for as long as you are assigned. Ahh it's rough but somebody's got to do it.

I just love feeling the heat of a brush fire on my face through the cab window, I turn up the A/C a little more and think to the ground pounders who are out there, man it sure looks hot and smoky out there

But all in all I wind up spending more time actually out there in the smoke anyway. It's all fun, work is fun.

Birken

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

Our first out engine is a 1995 International/Pierce with 200 HP, we carry 1000 gallons and assorted equipment, its only a single cab, riding positions for 3. The truck does fairly good, we don't have alot of hills so it works out.

Thread Information