MembersZone Subscriber

Question Boston area ff jobs?

I am looking for a firefighter job in the boston area, looking to start febuary. I am FFI certified and have completed a flashover course. If anyone knows about or how I might be able to find a job in the area that would be a big help. Thanks.

Forum Member

very tough to get a job anywhere in massachusetts right now and most departments dont recognize FF certifications such as FFI & II. every 2 years Ma offers a civil service test,you can choose 4 cities where you would like to work and really only have a chance at getting hired where you reside due to residency preference. the way civil service in Ma works is if you ever served in the military you get veterans preference, no point system. rather if a candidate scored 100% on the exam and another scores a 70% but served in the military, that person will be placed at the top of the list. usually on average a city or town may hire 5-10 off the list and mostly all veterans due to the preference. boston is extremely tough to get on, most have to file a lawsuit to be hired. havng a paramedic cert will get through a few backdoors. there are some call/part time fire depts maybe 20 miles out of boston and a few non civil service depts but very tough to get a full time ff job. there is a volunteer station in Malden Ma like a block from the orange line train stop, definatly worth checking out. probably the only volunteer house of its kind in massachusetts. good people. good amount of work. a lot of fun. if you need any info let me know.

Forum Member

Here's an example of what you need to get on Boston....

Fire Dept. gets a class full of veterans
    All 56 recruits served in military
    By Adrienne Samuels, Globe Staff | September 15, 2005

Army veteran Timothy Goddard spent 10 months in Afghanistan and is now preparing to spend the rest of his life as a Boston firefighter.

The 27-year-old doesn't mind exchanging one dangerous job for another. Goddard was one of 56 recruits, all military veterans, who graduated yesterday into the Boston Fire Department during a ceremony at Florian Hall in Dorchester. Some will start work as early as tonight.

Many of the graduates say they don't want 9-to-5 desk jobs, stressing that the grit of military work has primed them for a life of service on the streets of Boston. More than a dozen have seen action in Afghanistan or Iraq. Others served as Navy SEALs. All branches of the armed forces are represented among the men.

''It's a noble profession," said Goddard, of East Boston, who will be stationed with Engine 29 on Chestnut Hill Avenue in Brighton. ''It's something you can be proud of."

Chris Wright, 24, of Allston, an infantryman on the front lines of Iraq with the Third Battalion of the First Marines, is headed to work with Engine 33 on Boylston Street. He said that training for the Fire Department was like coming home. The camaraderie and brotherhood of the profession, plus being able to train with other war veterans, enhanced his experience, he said.

''It's good because everyone has the same kind of sense of determination," said Wright, speaking of the department's rigorous physical training, which includes running 6 miles a day, four days a week. ''Some stuff was a little tough, but we had really good training in the military, so we were fine."

It's not unusual for a firefighting recruit class to consist of veterans, especially during wartime, said Lieutenant David Pfeil, Boston Fire Department spokesman. Veterans are given preference in hiring, he said, adding that the Boston Fire Department is 75 percent veterans, filled with Vietnam and Gulf War vets.

''They already have the military background and are used to the chain of command," said Captain Ed Scigliano, who helped train the men. ''The physical part of it wasn't the hard part for them. They're the most fit out of all of the classes by far. They adjusted well."

Goddard, who fought in Afghanistan, said he enjoyed training for 14 weeks with other men who understood the reality of war. Afghanistan was a ''different world" that made him appreciate his life stateside, he said. Working as a firefighter will help protect that life, he said, before lining up to march with the recruits, all of whom sported military-slick haircuts, dark-blue hats, and crisply pressed suits.

Longtime firefighters lined the back rows, allowing the recruits' wives, with children in tow, to grab the best seats. Fire Commissioner Paul A. Christian and Mayor Thomas M. Menino commended the group.

''It's very special to serve our country in wartime," Menino said later. ''It's a very special class. Everyone is a veteran, and that shows their dedication to public service."

Drillmaster and Captain Hugh Duffy reminded them that ''knowledge relieves fear" and that training never ends. Ed Kelly, president of the Boston Fire Department Local 718, told the group that they were ''entering a brotherhood unlike any other" and that their jobs included dealing with fires, natural disasters, terrorism, and chemical cleanups.

It's a family thing for Navy veteran Larry McLaughlin, 28, of West Roxbury.

''This is what I wanted to do my whole life," said McLaughlin, who was stationed in both Florida and Japan and who once worked as an air traffic controller.

McLaughlin's father, Larry Paul McLaughlin, has been a firefighter for 25 years. He's planning to retire and is looking for his son to keep up the family name.

''He's just starting out something I'm finishing out," he said.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boston area FF jobs

If you take the Civil Service test. Pick Somerville as one of your four cities. Busy, professional Fire Department, no residential preference. Cambridge would be nice too but they have a residential preference, that means no matter what you score residents go ahead of you. Lexington has their own exam but the last several years they have only hired paramedics. Arlington sounds good except last year they had a layoff. Most cities and towns near Boston have a residency requirement or a resident preference.

Forum Member

most of mass is civil service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boston Area

Ah Fire District 14 has its own exam which includes Acton,Lincoln, Maynard, Southborough, Stow, Sudbury and Wayland. For more info write Fire Dist. 14, C/o Jacques Personnel, PO Box 300, Warner NH 03278
    Barnstable County Fire Chiefs association also runs its own exam. Write them at B.C.F.C.A., PO Box 1632, Cotuit, MA 02635. This consists of 11 Departments down the cape.
    Ashland, Lexington, Braintree, Concord, Foxboro, and Walpole to name a few that are not Civil service. They have their own exams. Contact the respective departments for more information. Hope this is of some help

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Malden?

FDNY CHRIS

I would be interested in finding out more about that group in Malden sounds interesting.

KRM

Forum Member

the place is called the malden emergency center...its located at 114 centre st at the jackson st parking garage. they run rescue 2 - a heavy rescue and a light duty rescue...a good place to get alot of experience. they are run on every working fire and up in the city of malden and special called by police. run automattically on a 2nd alrm to the city of everett. they respond to surrounding communities usually on a 3rd alarm but are special called. you can either stop by the firehouse best time is around 7pm-10pm since they man it only at night or call them at 718-324-2134. if you need anymore let me know. no residency needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Malden

FDNYChris

Thank you for the information. If you need a favor just let me know

KRM

Forum Member

For Boston Fire test. Do you have to of just served in the military for the points or, do you have to serve in a theater of war? And, how many points do you get on the test for being a veteran? Thank you in advance for your help.

John

MembersZone Subscriber

Default veteran's Prefrence

According to Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 4, section 7, clause 43, a veteran is an individual whose last discharge or release from wartime service was honorable and who served in The Army, Airforce, Marines, Navy or Coast Guard for not less then 90 days active service, at least one day of which was for wartime service .All Veterans go to the top of all civil service lists regardless of scores. Though all Veterans must score at least 70% or higher.

Forum Member

krmckinney,

Thank you for the reply.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire jobs in Boston

It seems like the only way to get a fire job around Boston (or most anywhere in Massachusetts) is to be either a veteran or a paramedic. Some civil service cities, such as Cambridge, are now giving absolute preference to paramedics, even over veterans and residents. Other cities/towns that are not part of civil service, such as Lexington, Walpole, and Braintree, actually care about a little thing called experience and education.
    Bottom line, if you are not a veteran, the best thing you can do to get a full-time fire job anywhere in MA is to become a paramedic and keep maintaining and increading your fire certifications.

MembersZone Subscriber

I recently got my FF2 and national emt down in FL. Originally from Boston and my dream job would be to get onto Boston. There is an upcoming test in Feb or just around there. Sounds pretty discouraging though when you talk to people, I even talked with a chief from a surrounding town and he pretty much told me to take a hike. Worth a shot anyway though, you never know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default take the test

My two cents worth but I say take the test anyway. You never know, if nothing else you will have gained from the experience. Reportedly or according to rumors there could be as many as 60 new fire fighters in Boston by this time next year. In the wake of Katrina and Rita perhaps more departments will think about adding a few firemen.

Thread Information