Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Volunteers Incentive

My question due to the price of gas / diesel and what it is costing volunteers to respond to trainings, meetings and calls.
    Does anyone out there offer a fuel incentive ? and how does it work in regards to its funding ?
    Per call, training and meetings?

Are there any depts who utilize monies out of their ( state, city or county ) budget and how?

We will cover gas for going to training and meetings that are out of our service area if they request it. Nothing for responding to calls, meetings, or training at our station. The members just submit a note with the miles and gallons to our treasurer and he cuts them a check. Not many guys ever asked for it though, but I expect that may be changing.

Forum Member

If I am not mistaken doesn't the federal gov't give you a tax credit for fuel used for volunteer activities (same program as driving to school and such)
    This we do so others may live

We have a company owned transport van. If you go to a class, you can take that vehicle. If you choose not to use the van and go in your own car, you pay for your gas.

Yes and no, there is a mileage amount that can be taken from taxes but it's not directly related to vol activities.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

No fuel credit here at my Dept. I'm currently driving out of our territory and about 45 minutes for some training. I'm "voluenteering" to burn up my fuel for the knowledge and hopefully the good of my community.

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

Bones, last time I had my taxes done by the "professional" tax people, they allowed me to take a milage deduction for any volunteer activity, so long as I didnt get paid for it.

This was when I was envolved in an organization where we received no compensation at all ( unlike my paid on call gig). I was not allowed to take the milage adjustment for the POC as I was receiving a reimbursement for responding.

Was that clear as mud ?

Forum Member

We get a gasoline allowance of $3.00 per call.The money is raised from taxes paid to the county and I cannot say that I understand what I know about how it is disbursed to the departments because we are the only one that does this.
    Everytime we show up for a fire,wreck or even training,we get points for showing up and every six months we get a check reflecting the amount of calls that we made.
    When we go out of town for training,we try and have as many people go in the same vehicle and the ones going POV get a mileage allowance in addition to the meal tickets.

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

We have a volunteer incentive, and have had one for about 10 years now, we get 10 bucks per call nothing for meetings. If we go to a state school we have some of our mileage, hotel, school fees and $15 per day for meals. Our local volunteer ambulance has about the same deal only we get some money for attending regular meetings. Really helps out at the end of the year to get some spending cash.

Forum Member

Once a year, usually July, we hand out $50 Mobil/Exxon gas cards to FF that respond to 50 or more alarms from the previous year. There given out in $50 increments ($1 per call). 150 calls = $150. The money to fund the program comes from our recruitment and retention budget and usually costs us between 4-5k. The program has been in effect for the last few years and has been well received.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way.

Nope...but good Idea....unfourtunatley the vollies dept I was in before I quit..used thier tax payer money to purchase alcohol.....they' re SOOOOOO stupid..they even post picutes of themselves indulging on thier website.....complete morons.....no wonder that I.........Q-U-I-T.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I think buried deep somewhere in our bylaws (or maybe it's unwritten), I think we can submit for reimbursement for mileage. Not for running calls and such, but, say, travelling outside the district for training & other department duties. I don't know of anyone that's ever put in for it. But with the price of fuel these days, and all the driving I've been doing lately (checking on the new rescue truck), I believe I need to calculate my mileage and ask for some reimbursement.

Ultimately, my goal is to acquire a utility vehicle for the department (SUV or pickup truck, whatever) that folks can use when they have to run department errands. Currently we don't have any department vehicles other than the engines and the rescue truck. I can't begin to estimate how much of my own fuel I've burned over the years doing stuff for the department

Of course, I could do like a neighboring chief and just take the rescue truck out of the district when they have a meeting or other errand to run. But I won't get into that here....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

I can't begin to estimate how much of my own fuel I've burned over the years doing stuff for the department
    Ohhhh, I soooo hear you on that one. And that doesn't include the "Honey can you" runs that I made before I was even on the department.

When we go out of town for training every six months meals are paid and the driver gets his gas paid at a set rate (which has little to do with current prices )

Since my truck goes to structure fires I get mileage. The reason I take my POV is that piling miles of wet hose into the bed of my truck is faster for clean up and re-packing at the hall. Da boyz like to see the Dodge coming down the street when there is a structure fire. Apparently, it has been one of my better ideas and they encourage me to attend all structure fires
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

We are very lucky in that we recieve, as does all the fire departments in the state, a 3% fire insurance payment rebate from the insurance companies, which we can use any way we wish. This money, which averages about $27,000 a year, is used to compensate the volunteer staff and paid staff who respond as volunteers during the year. It is based on a point system for responses, training and work details. How much each point is worth varies on the participation each year of the members. We use this as our reimbursement method for fuel, as well as an incentive for our people to participate.

Note: Volunteer firefighters who are working a paid shift do not recieve points. The 4 paid firefighters only recieve points when they respond or attend training as volunteers.

LaFireEducator,

Can you tell us more about this insurance company rebate. Do you know if LA. is the only state that receives this? Wish they would do this in Texas. We are having a tough time recruiting new members right now. Anyhow....to make a short story long....am looking for new ways for getting them in the door and keeping them and right now, gas is on everyones mind. Take care and stay safe.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information