MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Opinion About young Firefighters

I would like some advice from the "older" firefighters. I would like to hear you all's opinion on what you all think of the younger firefighters coming in to the fire and ems service. I am 20 and have been on a volunteer fire department for a little over 3 years. I am currently waiting to take my national registry emt-b exam and plan on attending fire academy in Feb. and then plan to further advance into the paid side of the fire service. I was talking with one of my crew formans about how my generation of people tend to be more lazy than the generations ahead of me. I feel that im not all that lazy. Im a very outgoing person and love the outdoors. I hate being inside. I would just like to hear from the older guys about what you all think my generation in the fire service.

Thank you,
    Kyle

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Oh No

Look out here it comes........

Every man for themselves.....
    Get the women and children underground...
    Sound the ALARM........
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

Disillusioned Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by noonday2
    I would like some advice from the "older" firefighters. I would like to hear you all's opinion on what you all think of the younger firefighters coming in to the fire and ems service. I am 20 and have been on a volunteer fire department for a little over 3 years. I am currently waiting to take my national registry emt-b exam and plan on attending fire academy in Feb. and then plan to further advance into the paid side of the fire service. I was talking with one of my crew formans about how my generation of people tend to be more lazy than the generations ahead of me. I feel that im not all that lazy. Im a very outgoing person and love the outdoors. I hate being inside. I would just like to hear from the older guys about what you all think my generation in the fire service.

Thank you,
    Kyle
    First of all, don't try to carry the weight of an entire generation. That's a pretty big bite to take. All you can do is perform to the best of your ability, and not worry about others.

With that being said, don't tread where probies shouldn't tread. Don't spend all day in the day room reading magazines. If you're going to read, read something educational about the job, and not Sports Illustrated. Pitch in with things like doing dishes or helping to clean up after meals or washing vehicles without being told. Offer to run errands when necessary. Little things like that go a long way toward acceptance.

Inspite of what you may or may not believe after the academy, you don't know everything and you can't leap tall buildings in a single bound. Listen to your crewmates. They'll offer stuff that'll help you do your job and maybe save your life. Ask questions and don't offer opinions. You haven't got enough time or experience to even have one...yet. Find one of the old guys that's willing to let you follow him around, and learn all you can. If you ask him and explain your intent, he'll most likely be willing to do so. Keep in touch with your officer as to what they want of you, and any direction they can offer. I'm sure others will offer other things as well.

Academy is just the beginning of your career. Recognize it for what it is, and keep a positive attitude. You'll do fine.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by noonday2
    I was talking with one of my crew formans about how my generation of people tend to be more lazy than the generations ahead of me.

Thank you,
    Kyle
    Every generation has thought that since before Moses parted the sea, don't worry about it and just do the job the best that you can.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Yes your generation as a whole seems to have that "i'm entitled to this" attitude, but it does not mean that you have to have it personally.

If you work hard, keep your yap shut unless its to ask questions to further your knowledge on something you don't understand, show up in a timely manner and do what is asked of you(without thinking something is beneath you I might add)... your older guys will see that and you will be fine. It may take some time and effort on your part but if you are as serious as you attempt to sound, then its the least you can do and will be worth it in the end.

Remember this... no matter what your age... in the fire service you are ALWAYS a student (or at least should be)

Forum Member

noonday2,

You post a good question that has been discussed here many times before but I am not going to tell you that you should have done a search like some others may. As an Officer and 22 year member of the Fire Service I agree with all of the other replys. 1) Do Not walk in the firehouse with the attitude that you know it all. Just because you learn it in the acadamy does not mean that you know everything there is. Take the time to learn how the department you are with does it, they may do things a little bit different. 2) Dont come into the firehouse and try to change everything, thinking that you know a better way. 3) Respect and listen to the older guys/gals 4) Dont fall into the trap of the "less motavated" group of FF's (every department has them) 5) Listen you your officer and follow his/her lead. I will keep it to these listed I could make this post very long with advise but wont. I wish you luck in your career and one day in about 22 years I hope that you can give out advise to some rookie that asks this same question to you.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, here is an opinion from a younger firefighter. I have been firefighting for a little over 4 years. Seems like when I first joined, I was one of the youngest members of my department, besides the cadets. Now, I am a veteran on my department. We went through a major roster change and kicked off people that we never saw and a lot of the older members went into support roles or stepped down. I would say that the majority of firefighters on scene that do the interior work are on average my age.

The best advice I could give ya is keep at it and keep studying, you can never learn enough. Like others have said, don't come in with that whole "I know everything" mentality. The last thing is don't be afraid to get in and get your hands dirty with chores and the like. That goes a long way to show people you are dedicated and serious about the fire service. That is just my two cents worth.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Every salty old firefighter was once a young firefighter. You must be on the right track.

makes good girls go bad

Is 18 too young to become a Career FF, or should I stay volunteer for a few years, gradually gathering more "Crust" before I join a Paid Dept? I am going through the Local Fire Academy, and will *HOPEFULLY* graduate in December, barely halfway to being 19. Is this too young to be a Paid FF
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was 17 and in the fire academy so no, its not too young

MembersZone Subscriber

18 isn't to young im 19, and i'm testing everywhere I can for full-time departments. Maybe you wont get on right away but you will get used to the testing process and get in lots of valuable practice taking tests. I've heard it takes 3-5 years for a white male to get a full-time gig so why not start young?

Forum Member

I got on when I was 18...........I was also fortunante to have already been hanging at the station before then. I learned alot........mostly who knew what was going on and who didnt. As I got older and started advancing myself you could see how BEHIND the times we were. How can you make a change? First go to as much training as you can. Dont rock the boat (even if you are RIGHT), I hate to say it ...........but I agree that some people in their early twenties do act like a 2 & 20. So work hard, if you see something you want to change, be subtle about and the best ideas are those that someone else THINKS are theres even if you started it. Like I said .............fish out the big talkers and hang with the who knower's. Keep busy, follow orders, dont talk back and enjoy the ride.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

IACOJ BOD

since before Moses parted the sea
    Yup, and you should have heard my Grandfather moaning about how it was only a piddly little Sea, why, in his day..... whole oceans .... blah blah
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

First let me say, welcome brother. So far, 15yrs and counting. I remember being a newbie too. This is what I have learned:

Everyone starts out with mutual respect. Do not do something stupid to cause someone not to respect you anymore.

Do everything the guys in the previous posts said with the addition of a few thing.

-You have 2 ears and one mouth. That means you should be listening twice as much as you are talking.
    -Go above and beyond what is expected of you but don't go overboard either. Do things without being asked. Like said before, help with dishes, push a broom, grab the mop, roll a hose on your own initiative.
    -Listen to the "crusty" guys. You can learn a lot from them even by accident.
    -Don't bull$hit your way through something. You don't know, ask someone.
    -Don't be afraid to ask questions. Sounds corny but there are no dumb questions, just dumb people that don't ask them.
    -Keep an open mind. Stay fresh on things. See other departments and educate yourself. Be the right balance between street smart and book smart.
    -Know the department's SOG's like the back of your hand and stick to them.
    -Don't worry about fitting in or trying to impress someone. If you do what is expected of you to the best of your ability, you do this by accident.

and the biggest thing.......the day you think you know it all is the day you need to retire. You are always learning and no one ever knows everything.

Good luck. I wish you well. I'm sure you will do fine.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Im 16 yrs old and when i joined back in May everyone was glad to see some new peoplejoining the company because we only have about 30 active firefighters(might be like 25 or so), and we try recruiting ppl but noone wants to help others anymore it seems. I figured that it would be a good thing to do as well as giving me real life experience in differnt situations. Everyone looks out for me and helps me along and i make sure that if i do something, that i do it as best as possible and i make sure i go above and beyond. i do everything that i can. I dont think we can say our whole generation is lazy, i just think about half are and the other half are unsure or "unguided." Thx im done let me know what you guys think about joining a vol dept at 16? Good idea, or bad?

MembersZone Subscriber

im not saying im lazy i just wanted an opion on what the older guys think about the younger generation. I do everything i can in the fire house and on scenes i do everything to my ability and wont do anything i cant do without help of someone that is there to guide me. I thank all of you who have replied and it has helped calm my thoughts so to speak.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12
    I've heard it takes 3-5 years for a white male to get a full-time gig so why not start young?

I'm not trying to stir up any ***** by quoting this, It just shocked me to see sentiments like this expressed, although of course it isn't the first time we've seen it on here.

Also (this isn't directed at anyone in particular, there are a number of posters this is for) .... I actually had to go back to check if I was in the Explorer's forum, mostly becuase of all the "i's" isntead of "I's", no apostrophe's and, of course, the run-on sentences.

A word of advice for you young men (I'm assuming from the user names that all the responses so far have been from males, please excuse me if I'm wrong) please, please, please kill the habit you have of replying with "cyber-speak". For example, it doesn't take any longer to type "people" than "ppl" or "cool" instead of "kuul". Make a concerted effort to capitalize the words that should be capitalized. Make an effort to ensure your spelling and grammar is correct.

The rewards of following this advice are priceless. First of all, the rest of us can understand what the hell you're trying to say, and second of all ... well never mind second of all as it could be misconstrued. The intelligent ones will know what I mean (I hope). Oh ok, I'll spit it out ... credibility, respect etc.

I know my grammar and punctuation isn't always perfect, and even I make mistakes, but it drives me insane to see so many peope make such basic, or in some cases just lazy typos and grammatical errors. And yes, even I "shorten" the occasional word here and there, usually in IM or PM though, but generally not in replies to threads. Note the "freaking" shortened to "freakin'" in the next paragraph, for example.

Sheesh who got me started??? I could go on forever ... "i" before "e" except after "c", drop the "e" before "ing urghhhhhhhhhh (JESSE ARE YOU READING THIS?? DROP THE FREAKIN' "E" BEFORE "ING" ... hey just busting your chops, you aren't the only one, but you were for the longest time hehehe ... are you teaching the new members bad habits?)

I may not remember all the rules, but I PROOFREAD (as I'm typing, before I hit "submit" and AFTER I hit "submit"). Yeah yeah, I still make the boo-boos, I'm human, we're all human. It just drives me insane when the mistakes are as prevalent as they are in this thread.

Wow .... I think I need a smoke now Is there such a thing as "typitis"? {type-I-tis} Holy *****! LOL
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

IACOJ BOD

becuase of all the "i's" isntead of "I's",
    but it drives me insane to see so many peope make such basic
    but I PROOFREAD
    O'Reilly.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Ian you frucker

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

I furcking told ya!!! Dammmmmmm that kahlua!!!

Now, I could have said "it was a test to see who would catch the typos"!!!

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I have to admit, I never know what to do with "proofread". I've seen it officially as proof-read, proof read and proofread. Anyone else?

So Mr. Kiwi-turned-Aussie, just you wait!!! I'll get you back!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Talking *snicker*

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi
    O'Reilly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi
    Today, 10:42 PM (5 minutes BEFORE his post bugging me about my typos!)
    FlyingKiwi
    MembersZone Subscriber

Coz

click on "Start" then "Run" type "regedit" and hit the "Enter" key.

Now change to the following in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi crosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Run

get a browser open and go to "www.google.com"

One by one enter the file names shown in regedit and check a few of the sites Especially if they are symantec or mcafee sites to check what they are, just about gaurantee you have got a problem sitting right there.

I am to busy.
    Sheesh all that quoting and the message was too short!

Soooooooo Mr. Smarty-Pants Ian, what do you have to say to that?? HEHEHEHE this is fun! I've wanted to bug you about the "to" in your signature for some time!

Well, I really should go to bed. Noooo, I'm not REALLY drunk, just thought I might as well blame my oopsi's on the booze. But those 3 drinks made me sleepy and it IS after midnight Thanks for the laughs!

*crackle* *squelch* *squeeeeeek* Public Service Announcement: Ladies & Gentlemen, thank you for your patience, the thread hijacker has been removed from the premises. We return you back to the original topic *squeeeeel* *screeeeech*
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 09-17-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Default upon further review ...........

Ian-4
    Sher-1 (I think, and I KNOW she will let me know if I am wrong )
    thats FUNNY ! please dont drink and post !!!! ROFLMAO !
    Last edited by Weruj1; 09-17-2005 at 01:38 PM.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Why zero Joshie? Don't you see Ian's mistakes that I highlighted? Or don't you agree that they are errors?

Hey I only had THREE drinks LMFAO!!! Brat! I'll remember that next time you're knocking back 7 or 8 beer while you are posting! hehehehe

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I didnt really look that hard for the boo-boos from Ian.................I will reasses the "score" LOL !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    -Listen to the "crusty" guys. You can learn a lot from them even by accident.
    I think everything I learned that was worth learing, I learned by accident this way. Lots of times these off hand comments will come when a senior firefighter is bending the captain's ear complaining about the way another company handled the call, the captain is doing his best to say, "I know, I agree," but these little tidbits of wisdom and technique will come out. Kind of hard to explain, does anybody else know what I am saying?

[-Don't be afraid to ask questions. Sounds corny but there are no dumb questions, just dumb people that don't ask them.
    While it's true that this is the case, nevertheless a little research and thought before blurting out a question will go a long way. When the question does come out if it is a well formulated inquiry on a difficult subject the old guys will respect you more for it.

-Keep an open mind. Stay fresh on things. See other departments and educate yourself. Be the right balance between street smart and book smart.
    Make sure you know what you know and can back it up with facts but always be willing to change your mind if new evidence should come along to the contrary

------------

Now for my own comments on the subject:

It is true that there is no new thing under the sun. The older generation has always thought the same of the younger. But I fear we are nearing the crest of a cycle of prosperity and the attitude of making sure our children have more than we had is causing a problem. Since we had to struggle to get what we have now, but did not particularly enjoy the struggling, we try to prevent that struggling to our progeny...but the struggling is what makes us adults.

Along these lines I think about some of the people I have seen while going to school, and in the department. They are funded by their parents and have never held a job outside the fire service, or never held a meaningful job at all. Seems all the crusty old guys I respect have been carpenters, glaziers, equipment technicians, salesmen, owned a business, in other words had a career and been successful at it many years before entering the fire service. I can't point to many fire service only people who have the same level-headedness. Then more recently it seems that the way to enter the fire service was to work your @$$ off for several years for the forest service, state forestry, hand crew, etc. Or even working like a slave for a private ambulance company for a few years. Now even that is falling by the wayside. Most of the people entering the fire service now follow one predictable path: college, EMT, paramedic school (without much EMT experience, and often not really wanting to be a medic either), some fire academy thrown in there, all of which could not possibly have been paid for by these people. Then they commute all over the state interviewing any place they can until they get hired, then work there a few years until hired somewhere else, may go through 2 or 3 iterations until they wind up at a big money department. Making us podunk departments into a revolving door.

Anyway am I just being sour or does anyone else see this as a problem. Sorry if I went on a tangent to the original question.

Birken

Thread Information