Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kathy Bates, EMT

I probably shouldn't admit this but here goes...

I watched a movie on Lifetime channel last night. What's worse, I liked it.

All kidding aside, I came home and my wife was watching a movie called 'Ambulance Girl'. I missed the very first part, but the basic story line was Kathy Bates' character decided to become a vollie EMT. It followed her progression through class, her first call, etc. As part of the plotline, her new life began to adversly impact her home life. All in all, I thought it was a very realistic portrayal of what it is like to be a part of emergency services as a volunteer.

Anybody else see it? What did you think?

two things why I did not or would not watch it

#1: It has Kathy Bates

#2: Its on Lifetime

Forum Member

I caught part of it. ( Also a little ashamed to admit it) I thought it was pretty good. Reminded me a little of Emt school and clinicals. My only questioning wasn't she reading a First Responder textbook? But the picture she spoke of is on page 599 of the Brady Emergeny Care 10th Edition textbook. And her car
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Red face

The only thing I've ever watched on lifetime was a movie about the first female firefighter in LA County, the movie sucked but it had it moments. The lady's chief made her cut her hair all short and she looked like a dude and cried about it, gotta love lifetime.

Forum Member

OK, OK I'll admit...despite the fact it was on the Estrogen Channel..umm..I mean Lifetime, I too watched this movie...I figured it would be sappy & I'd turn it off after 5 minutes but I'll be damned, it was pretty good actually!!
    I had to laugh though with that EMT instructor..yelling at his students like a drill sgt. ("BSI, I'm number one!!!"... )...com' on, lighten up..he was worth a good laugh. I teach EMT's & explorers and while I have my own "unique" means to beat things into their head, screaming at the top of my lungs is not one of them (usually)...

I liked when she responded to her 1st call...hilarious...we can ALL relate to those first call jitters...fell out of bed, signed on with wrong call sign, fell while getting dressed, went tearassin' outta the driveway and that's before she arrives onscene. When she laid her bag down on the lady, I was rollin'...
    we have an EMT in my dept., TOTALLY clueless, asks EVERYONE "do you have a headache?" (her nickname...Headache)...we had a pedestrian struck
    quite a while ago, she asks "do you have a headache?"...pt. says" no, no my leg hurts"...she says "why does it hurt?"...he says "oh, because you're leaning on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...I wasn't there but my partner who relayed the story was ROFLHFAO....

Only negative thought I had was when she (Kathy Bates) tells her husband about the instructor, she says "oh he's great...he's a "professional" EMT over in Bridgeport"...now I don't wanna start another whole vollie vs. paid thread (i've been both BTW) but I HATE that BS about being paid makes you professional...BULLSH&*, proper training & knowing how to do your job well whether you get a check or not is what defines you as a PROFESSIONAL. OK, rant off (wait just one second while I get down from this soapbox)...ahh, that's better...

About 2/3 of the way thru the movie, when her husband was all ****y & breaking her chops about leaving for calls,then he says he wants a divorce..
    I said to my wife "oh boy, this ain't gonna do too much good for recruiting women into our ranks"...but in the end, they made up & life was good....AHHH

Overall, I have to say it was a pretty good movie...I'd actually recommend it...

JHR1985 - I know, I thought Kathy Bates would be horrible too (I always remember her breaking that guy's ankles with a sledgehammer in that thriller movie a few yrs. ago) but she was actually pretty good (and she didn't break any ankles...although she came close on the old lady...LOL)

Golzy12, I know the movie you're talking about...that's OLD, at least 10-15 yrs. old...the female FF was played by Nancy McKeon, the girl who played Jo the butchy chick from Da Bronx in the Facts of Life series YEARS ago.

Just my 2 cents...Stay Safe...

Forum Member

RedneckEMT, just read your post again...yeah, I noticed that too...she WAS reading a 1st Responder textbook...and OMG, the car!!!!
    who puts THAT many stickers on their car..and on a Beemer no less!!! I've known some big time whackers but I have never seen such LARGE stickers on a vehicle that size before...LOL...

I was going to watch it ......................but our local IL basevall team was going for the Govenors Cup and I saw it on the cable guide..........but did not watch it.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I caught a viewing of it too. Had a real good laugh when ole hubby started breaking in on her for 'dropping tools' to attend a call. The voice was wrong, but the words were familiar.

Their instructor was someone out of an old 1930's military drill manual for the first day or two. He almost turned me away from watching the rest of it, but then he calmed down after a bit.

I was wondering about the book - I have a copy or two of Brady's here in the house somewhere....

AND the "whacker car"? Nuff said.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I think the best line was "Rescue randy is not a beanbag chair" & "I am in love with my sticker".
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Firescueguy
    OK, I had to laugh though with that EMT instructor..yelling at his students like a drill sgt. ("BSI, I'm number one!!!"... )...com' on, lighten up..he was worth a good laugh. I teach EMT's & explorers and while I have my own "unique" means to beat things into their head, screaming at the top of my lungs is not one of them (usually)...

I

You should have went through the EMT class I went through I still have nightmares!!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

THANK GO I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY GUY THAT WATCHED IT AND LIKED IT. just to let you guys know..That movie is based on a book wrighten by a vol. She is a real emt vol. She is G65 and her car.......REALLY HAS ALL THEM PRITTY STICKERS!

Forum Member

THANK GOD I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY GUY THAT WATCHED IT AND LIKED IT. just to let you guys know..That movie is based on a book written by a vol. She is a real emt vol. She is G65 and her car.......REALLY HAS ALL THEM PRITTY STICKERS!

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    I probably shouldn't admit this but here goes...

I watched a movie on Lifetime channel last night. What's worse, I liked it.

All kidding aside, I came home and my wife was watching a movie called 'Ambulance Girl'. I missed the very first part, but the basic story line was Kathy Bates' character decided to become a vollie EMT. It followed her progression through class, her first call, etc. As part of the plotline, her new life began to adversly impact her home life. All in all, I thought it was a very realistic portrayal of what it is like to be a part of emergency services as a volunteer.

Anybody else see it? What did you think?
    You may call it the Lifetime channel.. I call it the adultery, murder and mayhem network! LOL

My wife watches Lifetime... which is why I spend so much time in the yard, detailing my vehicles, playing with the dogs or on the computer!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

WAY, WAY, WAY too much estrogen flowing from you boys on this topic.

Lifetime? Same crud as Oxygen and We. Come on man. Time to get a bit of testosterone flowing. Watch some football, NASCAR, or something with explosives and automatic weapons.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    WAY, WAY, WAY too much estrogen flowing from you boys on this topic.

Lifetime? Same crud as Oxygen and We. Come on man. Time to get a bit of testosterone flowing. Watch some football, NASCAR, or something with explosives and automatic weapons.
    I know Sharkie, I know.

I feel like I need to go to a support group or something....

Forum Member

I only caught part of it last night. Didn't think it was all that great... but now I may have to watch it all.
    I remember when the original book author wrote an article in Jems about a year and 1/2 ago. Pretty good article. We made several copies and passed them around the station.
    The article talks about how when she first applied to the Volly Dept she is on, there was an older fella that told her "she'd never make it." I thought that was funny - we had several guys like that at my old dept. Funny thing was, those older guys where still in the mindset of "you call, we haul, that's all." Everything got lights and sirens, and no real patient care was done.
    Man how we've come a long way. The first time I started an I.V. in front of one of those guys I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head.

Forum Member

DaSharkie, if it's any concilation, I later watched an episode of Over There..plenty of gunfire, explosions & expletives to offset the effects of having watched the Estrogen Channel...

Quote Originally Posted by Firescueguy
    DaSharkie, if it's any concilation, I later watched an episode of Over There..plenty of gunfire, explosions & expletives to offset the effects of having watched the Estrogen Channel...
    It is of some comfort. I need some Full Metal Jacket. Maybe a bit of Blackhawk Down.

Even Trauma: Life in the ER would count.

So long as you all can get out of the estrogen pool.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Bsi Number One

Forum Member

I was being threatened with being "cut off"-a term with negative conotations for me-if I didn't watch it.
    It was good,even if there was a little emphasis on how she got all the lights,sirens and Star of Life decals for her POV.
    It did have one scene where she responded on her own to her first call and as she walked to her car after being thanked,she did realize that she could have killed her patient.I thought that might have been overly dramatic but it should occur to us all,even us non EMT types,that we better be careful no matter what the training level.
    Now,where's my copies of Blackhawk Down,Full Metal Jacket and a football game?

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    two things why I did not or would not watch it

#1: It has Kathy Bates

#2: Its on Lifetime

Thread Information