Forum Member

Default I need to know something

I'm 15 and I'll be graduating a year early (2007 instead of 2008) and I'll be 17 in January...Does anyone know if i have to wait til I'm 18 to go to a fire academy or if theres a fire academy who will take me even tho I'll only be 17?! I plan on haveing firefighting as my life career and wanna start early. I am a fire explorer right now...and plan on doing as much as i can now so i wont have to do so much later. Thank You for your time and responses.

Forum Member

I believe you will have to wait until you turn 18. I have known several high school seniors who tokok college classes in fire science and are planning to the Academy next year, after they graduate, but they will be 18 during the academy. You can call the Florida State Fire College in Ocala and they can answer your question.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe you can start your EMT now at the age of seventeen, however the clinicals may require you to be eighteen. As you should know, this is needed at a minimum as a Florida Firefighter. If you can't start the fire program then starting in EMT class is worth it.

Good-Luck!

Forum Member

Taking EMT first is a good suggestion, in some academies there is a waiting list for standards and bieng an EMT, may move you up on the list for aspot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey SLVFDgirl07,
    Glad to see you're taking an interest in firefighting at such a young age. From my own experience I can suggest this much; Take an EMT basic course first. Our profession is 90% ems and this course will defiantly make you realize if you do or do not want to continue with all the training. Furthermore, most fire academies will give you extra "points" for having completed this training. I'm pretty sure you can take this course at 17 years old. Even if you can not get into the academy for another 8 months after your EMT-B training, you will have a major leg up on a lot of other applicants by doing this. It will also look good when you go in front of your prospective department by having taken the course at such a young age. Here is a link that may be helpful: http://www.fireacademy.org/.
    Hope this helps and feel free to keep us up to date on your progress. Best of luck!
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

Well as of what i know right now...I im supposed to be taking FF 1 classes this January coming up. Were allowed to take classes just not the tests til were 18 of what i know.

District Chief

I was going to suggest you contact the Florida State Fire College in Ocala. But I see you found out that you can attend the classes but are not allowed to test until you are 18. Additionally, due to Child Labor Laws and the "Hazardous Occupation" rulings, I think there may be certain segments of the program in which your participation is limited and you may have to make that portion up at age 18...

GOOD LUCK!!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

I wanna go to the Academy in Ocala because its close to my family...so yea...and i use to live there and i love Ocala.

makes good girls go bad

Hey, I wish you nothing but the ABSOLUTE best of luck. I am a Cadet Firefighter at Florida Fire Training Institue in Melbourne. They require EMT before you start school, and HS Diploma, as well as 18...I THINK. Visit http://www.fmti.edu/ for more info, or Floridafirecollege.org That should work, or google it, THAT will work. PM me if you have ANY questions, and make sure you are in shape, especially if you are going to Ocala. Once again Best of Luck, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Thread Information