MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Thumbs up New Rescue Truck...Getting close!

Our new rescue truck is about 2 weeks away from completion...thought you might like to see some pics. (Please refrain from any "fire trucks are supposed to be red" type comments, I've heard 'em before )

Now if I can just get the pics to work....

Here are some pics taken several weeks ago before the body was built.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

What was the truck designed as, Chief?

We've got a Ford F550 with a locally built body on the rear, but is way overloaded. What's yours going to be doing, what's going to be carried? Etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are fresh pics from today...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are the rest...

Res343cue....it's going to serve several roles for us....It will carry the necessary ISO equipment to function as a service company, so it will respond to all structure fires in that capacity. It will also respond to MVA's as a rescue truck...currently we have a rescue-style engine that carries the hydraulic tools, which works out OK, so I have not yet decided if we will transfer the tools to this unit...we may work at getting some supplemental equipment (maybe a combi tool or something like that) to complement the main tools on the engine. Also, it will be used for medical responses.

As you see in the next series of pics, the truck also has a fridge to carry water and drinks for rehab. On the same side as the fridge, there will be a roll-out canopy to create an awning, either for rehab or to serve as a command post.

The long roll-out tray on the passenger side will carry 16 spare SCBA bottles in 2 removable carrying racks. Since we had to go with the Ford F-550 instead of the International like we originally wanted (budget issue) we could not carry a full cascade system and filling stations as we had hoped (weight issue)....so we figured the next best thing was to just carry a bunch of spare cylinders....

If you've noticed, the particular shade of yellow seems different in the first series (just the chassis) as opposed to the recent pics. They used the wrong paint code the first time and had to repaint it. Fortunately we caught the mistake before they painted the body too
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 09-16-2005 at 10:01 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like a nice rig please post some pics when it's deliverd and all stocked up. I also really like the awning and fridge Idea.
    This is my opinion and in no way represtents the opinion of my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are some other pics I forgot I had, taken about a month ago during a visit to the shop....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are some more....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Looking pretty good, other then the fact that the shop hasn't let it ripen up outside yet.... Had to get in a little ribbing over the yellow

I'll sneak down to the station and take some photos of our F550 tomorrow.
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Not sure if I missed it or not but who is the builder?

Forum Member

Very nice truck, looks like it is well designed.
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 09-19-2005 at 04:56 PM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Looking pretty good, other then the fact that the shop hasn't let it ripen up outside yet.... Had to get in a little ribbing over the yellow

damn, you beat me to it :|
    Jason.
    Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
    Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
    Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pocambu
    Not sure if I missed it or not but who is the builder?
    I hadn't mentioned it...the builder is a local company, 5 Alarm Fire Apparatus in Bayou Blue, LA.

www.5alarmfireapp.com

They are a small outfit, started out doing mostly refurbs and maintenance but have been building more new units the last couple of years. Quite a few departments in my area have used them and I've driven and inspected several rescues and other apparatus they've built for other departments....they build a good quality product at a decent price, and they've been very responsive and good to work with during the design and building process (other than getting that paint code wrong the first time....but they took care of that with no problem).

We only had 2 bids to build this unit....5 Alarm bid $116,500 and Ferrara bid $148,000 for the same unit....no contest. And I find that 5 Alarm's quality and attention to detail is every bit as good (better in some instances) than Ferrara. They've been a pleasure to work with during the whole process and David Daigle, the owner, is very down-to-earth and hands-on in all phases of the construction.

Right now they are trying to get it ready for next weekend....we have a Family Day this Saturday for the fire department and we would really love to have it delivered that day....David says he'll try, but not sure if they'll quite make it...if not, it won't be more than a week or so after that. I'll post some pics of the finished product.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Last edited by firenresq77; 09-18-2005 at 10:32 PM. Reason: accidental mis posting
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I did like the built in fridge idea ................very cool.....(pun intended) ! sorry 77 !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    I did like the built in fridge idea ................very cool.....(pun intended) ! sorry 77 !

It's becoming a very popular option around here on some service units and even engines occasionally....we don't have anyone we can call on to bring drinks and refreshments to the scene, so we'd better bring them with us when we go. If you check out 5 Alarm's website in the apparatus pics, the rescue truck they built for Paradis has both a fridge AND a freezer...I saw it a couple of years ago at the State Firemen's Convention and decided then and there that we would put one on our next rescue truck.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Yesterday's pics....starting on the striping and lettering, more of the trim installed (running boards, diamond plate, etc)

Probably be ready for delivery next week...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

what powers thoes fridges and freezer when they are sitting for a couple days? wouldent everything melt?

IT takes a long time for stuff to get to freezing temp, sometimes buy time it got that cold, we would be already back at the hall

Forum Member

Arrow

I am assuming they have some type of shoreline.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    what powers thoes fridges and freezer when they are sitting for a couple days? wouldent everything melt?

IT takes a long time for stuff to get to freezing temp, sometimes buy time it got that cold, we would be already back at the hall
    Excellent point....the receptacle that powers the fridge is tied to the shore line, so when the truck is plugged in at the station there is power to the fridge, so the fridge is always running when the truck is parked in the station. There is no power to it when "on the road", but if we are going to be on scene for any length of time we can start the generator, which will also power the fridge.

I don't anticipate that we'll keep anything in the freezer anyway, so as long as the water stays reasonably cold it should work out OK.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Chief, they still haven't let it ripen up outside!

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Chief, they still haven't let it ripen up outside!

That's why we need the fridge, to keep it fresh....so it doesn't spoil and turn, y'know, red....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    That's why we need the fridge, to keep it fresh....so it doesn't spoil and turn, y'know, red....
    Oooo, very good point.

I better go put our trucks on ice, can't have them losing their fresh yellow color.

(we have 2 yellow[ish] trucks in our department, along with one white and one red truck.)

Should be a very nice (And functional) truck.
    Which motor is in the truck?

Our latest purchase was a 04 F550 to go under a rescue body we had. Have been very happy with it (we don't have a fridge though...and now with looking at yours and back on the days of 95* days in bunker gear and warm water....I can't describe how envious I am!)

MembersZone Subscriber

6.0 liter diesel under the hood....

New pics from today....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

More pics....sorry about the image quality, had to shrink 'em down quite a bit to upload them....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking good there DM, If possible, i would like to warn you of something that we noticed with our apparatus that has a similar taillight/red warning light set up. With them so close together, the tail lights will blend in with the red flashing lights that you have in the rear. Just an observation from a department that has been there.

Thanks...
    Jason.
    Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
    Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
    Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

Thread Information