Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: 700 mHz radios?

MembersZone Subscriber

I will bite - what does 1221 say about towers?

MembersZone Subscriber

All new radios and 7 repeaters all owned and operated by the Parish (County). No privately owned equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Wow, so much interest in this old thread all of a sudden .

OK, here's the latest. The parish has been acquiring 700 mHz radios which operate on the statewide system. We currently have 12 of them (portables). I and my assistant chiefs and a couple of captains currently have them and usually have them with us, but for our normal operations we are still using the old UHF radios. There are reasons for this.

Advantages of the 700 mHz system:

-Excellent coverage. Since it works on the statewide system, it's more like using a cell phone, i.e., you no longer have to hit the one repeater in the middle of the parish. You hit any tower on the system, including ones outside the parish (which we might actually be closer to), you get service.

-State System. I know that if anything goes wrong with any repeater tower or any other aspect of the system, someone will know about it immediately and be working to get it fixed. With our stand-alone system, sometimes we don't know right away if there is a problem and then it's up to us to find someone to diagnose and fix it.

-Interoperability across the state. Which is the whole reason they put this system in in the first place.

Disadvantages:

-Not enough radios yet. We have 30+ members and only 12 radios. So currently only a few of the officers have them, which is just like we were operating 20 years ago when I first started. Switching over to them totally would be a giant step backwards in this respect. Still working on some grants and other sources of funding to get the total number needed because they're...

-Expensive...around $2,500 a pop and we still need around 25 more just for my department

-Currently can talk to dispatch and to other 700 mHz users, but obviously cannot talk to other members of your own department if they still have the UHF radios. Big disadvantage there and the primary reason we're not using them yet for all operations.

-Still haven't come out with a 700 mHz pager, so still having to page over the UHF system. (all radio transmissions are currently simulcast over both systems)

All the parish agencies have some of the radios but not all they need so far. The sherrif's office is using them for their day to day activities but sometimes when I listen in on their channel I only hear the dispatcher and not the unit in the field because they're talking back on UHF. So they can't communicate unit-to-unit if they don't all have them, just like us.

It's a work in progress but we're still a ways off from completion.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Obviously funding is an issue right now, but something you may want to consider is a cross patch using the Raytheon ACU-T or a similar product.

Since we're talking single radios in such an installation, coverage may be an issue for a fixed installation, but a portable installation (in a command vehicle) might provide the interop you need for on-scene operations. You'll be limited to one or two talkgroups, but you'd be able to use your old radios with the new relatively seamlessly during your transition.

Of course, features like emergency buttons won't cross, either.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Our whole state is moving to 700mhz. It's part of a state wide LMR project. Forestry and The troopers have already moved over. Our towns PD is collecting equipment for the swap. They are coming from a non trunked 460mhz system. Our FD is behind them on the flop. as we are already on a trunked 800mhz system. ITs funny to think, we have a more advanced system then the PD.

makes good girls go bad

Chief, why not patch it?
    Keep your UHF pagers, and put a 700-UHF patch, so you can continue dispatching off them.
    Many areas around here have 800 EDACS, and have a VHF patch so areas that dont have 800 EDACS can still talk to them, as well as keeping the ability to page over the voice pagers.

I know we can simulcast over 800 and VHF, so simulcasting the dispatch should be no issue.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Chief, why not patch it?
    Keep your UHF pagers, and put a 700-UHF patch, so you can continue dispatching off them.
    Many areas around here have 800 EDACS, and have a VHF patch so areas that dont have 800 EDACS can still talk to them, as well as keeping the ability to page over the voice pagers.

I know we can simulcast over 800 and VHF, so simulcasting the dispatch should be no issue.

We've already discussed this possibility. However, one of the DISadvantages of working on the state system is that they are very strict about how the system is used and they won't allow patching it with anybody else's system. We've already been down that road It is technically feasible, but prohibited.

They ARE simulcasting all transmissions over both systems, so all dispatches go out over the original system and the 700. You can hear everything dispatch says over both radios (about a half a second apart, that gets annoying), but not between units in the field.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

makes good girls go bad

i don't understand that decision, but, it is a state that you are dealing with, common sense is long gone by that point....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Back In Black

There is something nice about having a dispatching channel that is reserved for the dispatching of calls.

We had that for about 3 months when we were putting our new VHF system online. I loved it. Never having a dispatch stepped on, never getting stepped on by a dispatch.

The downside was that responding members didn't have any updates until they were at the firehouse/riding the apparatus.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyslaw View Post
    Our whole state is moving to 700mhz. It's part of a state wide LMR project. Forestry and The troopers have already moved over. Our towns PD is collecting equipment for the swap. They are coming from a non trunked 460mhz system. Our FD is behind them on the flop. as we are already on a trunked 800mhz system. ITs funny to think, we have a more advanced system then the PD.
    Which state, Murph?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Which state, Murph?
    Alaska....

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information