Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Corn stalk fires

With harvest approaching here, I was wondering if any of you have some tricks for dealing with fires in harvested corn fields. The best luck we've had is to get a farmer to come with some tillage equipment. When the wind is blowing 30mph or so it is even worse.
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

Forum Member

Don't really have any tricks. Plenty of manpower right off the bat. Seems some departments around here wait too long for m/a, and the fire takes off on them. We always call the closest neighboring dept to the fire and at least put them on standby. We're lucky though, we've got plenty of help. Where's Laurel at?

Forum Member

Lenny91 you are on the right track we went down that road . one year in paticular we had a certain series of green combine that had most of the county on fire about five years ago. we started at 10:00am and put that last rig away after midnight. We had several farmers out with discs cutting fire lines. it was the only way to stay ahead. those farmers had tears in their eyes as they were discing the unburned corn into the ground. we then went in and mopped up with the rigs. These things burn faster than CRP due to more air getting to the leaves. We had a day with 20% humidity and about a 15-20 MPH wind. hope never to see anothe day like that. I can't imagine how the guys feel fighting forest fires and the like. guess we got it easy when you see what some of these fires can do.

Plattsfire2, Laurel is in the northeast corner of the state, halfway between Norfolk and Sioux City, IA.
    We call MA right away but they are usually as short on manpwer during the day as we are. The first thing I do is get on my cell phone and start calling farmers. I run a fertilizer dealership so I know all of them. This year I have asked several guys if they could please leave a tractor and disc hooked up, with the keys in it. They have been more than happy to cooperate.
    The big problem here is that so much of the corn here is irrigated, and the yields have been unbelievable. There is just literally tons of dry matter per acre. I almost lost one of our trucks 2 years ago in one. And they made me the chief, go figure.
    I will agree on the John Deere combines being the worst for causing fires. The 9500 and 9600 series seem to be the worst, I think at the factory they were using cheap imported bearings. JD's also just have more moving parts than a Case/IH or New Holland.
    Last edited by lenny91; 09-21-2005 at 10:32 AM.
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lenny91
    Plattsfire2, Laurel is in the northeast corner of the state, halfway between Norfolk and Sioux City, IA.
    We call MA right away but they are usually as short on manpwer during the day as we are. The first thing I do is get on my cell phone and start calling farmers. I run a fertilizer dealership so I know all of them. This year I have asked several guys if they could please leave a tractor and disc hooked up, with the keys in it. They have been more than happy to cooperate.
    The big problem here is that so much of the corn here is irrigated, and the yields have been unbelievable. There is just literally tons of dry matter per acre. I almost lost one of our trucks 2 years ago in one. And they made me the chief, go figure.
    I will agree on the John Deere combines being the worst for causing fires. The 9500 and 9600 series seem to be the worst, I think at the factory they were using cheap imported bearings. JD's also just have more moving parts than a Case/IH or New Holland.
    Ahhh... I'm in Plattsmouth here. Town of about 10,000 people just south of Omaha.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a truck on loan from the Indiana DNR that we have rigged to haul 250 gallons of water. We put a 6 foot hose on the pump to spray from the rear, but the best thing we did was put spray bars on the from bumper that have electric valvles (left or right) This and a big brush guard out in front make a great unit to work in standing corn or a stalk field. We had a fire in standing corn a couple of years ago and it performed great in creating fire lines. We also used the locals and their tractors and discs as well. After is was all over it had burned around 50 acres.

Forum Member

Just fought a large cornfield fire last Tuesday down here. May have heard about it in the news. Avoca NE. 3 miles long by 1/2 mile wide. 16 depts, 45,000 gallons of water shuttled. We even had Air Force trucks there.

Thread Information