Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs up BC WOT meet East Coast crust, dinner with el presidente himself

Jenn and I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Ron and Trish (Captain and Mrs. Gonzo) tonight for dinner.

The last port of call on their NCL Alaskan cruise was Victoria, their ship docked here around 6:30pm. Jenn and I decided to meet at the cruise terminal as we both had some errands to run beforehand, and I was there a bit early so sat and watched their ship dock. There was also another big ship (Princess cruises) already docked so it was quite the sight!

Jenn arrived before the ship finished docking and we waited in the cold wind for them to start letting passengers disembark. Finally they did and we were diligently watching the streams of passengers disembarking for Ron and Trish. We finally split up in case we missed them, I stayed watching through the fence and Jenn waited by the Customs exit. I spotted this guy in a black fleecy and baseball cap and thought, that's Ron, I know it!! So I walked over to where Jenn was standing and got there just in time to see this guy with a mustache, wearing a baseball hat come out of the Customs building, spot Jenn and Jenn spotted him, and he pointed at her and said "Jenn" with a question in his voice as Jenn looked at him and said "Ron"? LOL

So we did the whole huggy huggy thing and then we were all off in Jenn's truck for a scenic drive along the coastline and then through all the ritzy neighborhoods with the gazilion dollar homes and beautiful grounds. They both LOVED it! There was a gorgeous sunset over the mountains in the distance at the time and we stopped to do the whole "gotta get pics" thing at Clover Point Para-gliders and kites in the air included for maximum tourist impact

To make the drive complete, the full moon rose over the water as it was getting dark, making us all oooh and ahhh

We ended up our drive back in downtown Victoria, parked by the wharf and walked up to an Irish pub for some bevvies and to eat. It was like a street party, we were at a table outside on the patio and there was a band set up on the side of the street nearby, the pub was busy and of course the people walking by provided a ton of entertainment. Refer to Jenn's thread on IACOJ for a description of some of the weirdos

Funny thing, there was this narrow staircase going down to the bathrooms. Trish and I experienced the intimacy of passing someone going up the stairs as you were going down and both had a comment and laugh about it. So a bit later Ron's off to the can and comes back to the 3 of us girls laughing our heads off because some weirdo on the street tried to "give" Jenn a flower for each of us that he "picked at the Legislature buildings". Thing is, he wanted .25cents each for them!! So she gave them back and said no thanks, as the bouncer came up on the street beside him and was kind of nudging him to move along. Quite amusing!!! Anyway, Ron sits down and says something like "what a funny narrow staircase, quite the experience when you pass someone on the way down", as he tripped at the bottom of the stairs and when he flung out his hand he almost pulled the fire alarm!!!! Sorry Ron, I just had to tell it!

That would have been toooooo funny!!! "Yes sir, I'm a fire captain from Massachusetts, here off the cruise ship for a few hours and I just wanted to see your funny yellow fire trucks" heheheheheh

The conversation was great, we all had a lot of laughs and really, it was like we had just seen each other yesterday as opposed to just meeting for the first time

Ron, it truly was an honor and pleasure to meet both you and Trish! I hope you enjoyed your visit and the last night of your cruise!
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 09-19-2005 at 12:14 AM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Sounds like a nice night. Should be good for a few touristy pics.

Which pub did you end up at Sher?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

It WAS a very nice evening! We went to Irish Times, I believe it was called.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

It was the Irish Times Pub and last night was their first anniversary. The food and atmosphere were awesome!!!!!

http://www.irishtimespub.ca
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

well wasnt that the coolest thing ever ????????
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    well wasnt that the coolest thing ever ????????
    YUP!!

hmmmmmmmm well except for U2

Oh and ummmm holding my nieces when they were first born was pretty cool too though

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

We are back in the real world.... It took a few days to readjust back to Eastern Daylight Time from Pacific Daylight and Alaskan time

Trish and I had a great time. The person who got my "message" on their answering machine is probably saying.. "who the hell is Jenn, who the hell is Ron, what is a "crustie" and why did they call me?" (I transposed a number in the area code )

Victoria is a beautiful city.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information