Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

At one time the Ontario, CA airport station had a slide. Not sure if they still do.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I once worked in a 2 story house that only had stairs and it was a joke and a safety issue. Put the pole in and it will help your turnout times (and it adds that little bit of character and charm back into the firehouse that most modern architecture lacks today.)

FTM-PTB

Now that brings back some memories.

MembersZone Subscriber batchief99's Avatar

Wilkensburg, Pa outside of Pittsburgh has or had a slide.

The last house that we built (1970) has two of those oversized fat steel poles. I like the old brass poles, about 2 inches give or take.

We are considering a new 2 story station and a slide is being looked at in place of the pole.

The reason is the injuries and the near misses. If you've ever followed a guy that had wet gear from the last run it's like someone hit the pole with grease.

No decision yet which we will have.

Quote Originally Posted by batchief99

The last house that we built (1970) has two of those oversized fat steel poles. I like the old brass poles, about 2 inches give or take.

We are considering a new 2 story station and a slide is being looked at in place of the pole.

The reason is the injuries and the near misses. If you've ever followed a guy that had wet gear from the last run it's like someone hit the pole with grease.

I would think there would be the same problem with the slide. Maybe it should be stated that gear doesnt leave the apparatus floor, or the 1st floor. That way you arent tracking all of the crap on your gear throughout the station.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber ffsmromstadt13's Avatar

Default Poles, Poles, Poles

I like the strip club idea. I'll start looki : ng there B. That's about as far as it will get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ffsmromstadt13; 09-23-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ffsmromstadt13
    I like the strip club idea. I'll start looki : ng there B. That about as far as it will get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But honey I was doing research for an important project at the firehouse!!

If she didn't like the firehouse before... me thinks she really won't like it then!

You may want to consider a package deal with a power washer if you acquire one of those poles

MembersZone Subscriber ffsmromstadt13's Avatar

No! No! She likes the strip clubs. The girls also like HER!!!!! That will help the research and the movies. That's another forum?????????? SORRY!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by batchief99

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt
    I would think there would be the same problem with the slide. Maybe it should be stated that gear doesnt leave the apparatus floor, or the 1st floor. That way you arent tracking all of the crap on your gear throughout the station.
    I agree with Lewiston2CApt...This is one of the safety rules that all our guys are instructed on in regards to the pole. Don't slide when you are wet and the gear stays on the appratus floor. Along with not having landing mats...these are two of the simple issues that are often used as arguments against poles...when actually if the simple safety rules and common sense were followed there would be minimal issues.

FTM-PTB

PS- I slid the pole 5 times last night(once in another house as we were relocated) and I'm still alive to talk about it

Forum Member

Memphis E34A may remember the firepole at Gaisman Park in Memphis that was taken down for safety concerns.There may have been kids hurt playing on it,I don't have the information at hand.
    Reidland Farley's new station has a pole jokingly referred as being there to make our training officer,a FDNY Rescue 3 guy,feel at home.
    On calls,he'd have to run upstairs as it isn't in a living area,and slide down before getting into the engine he rides.
    Didn't departments include sliding down the pole as part of the training syllabus?
    As to sources,your-uh-local gentlemen's clubs could offer technical advice and assitance if you ask nicely enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are some links for the persons that were looking at poles and the associated safety devices.

Fire pole safety device

Brass finders brass work

Bernies Brass works

Edarley Pole with prices

FTM-PTB

PS- Here is a problem for you Engineers out there...

A 70-kg fireman sliding down a pole with a speed of 8.0 m/s wishes to slow himself down before he reaches the floor 3.5 m below. He grips the pole hard, causing a frictional force of 940 N to arise.

a. Find the work done by gravity on the fireman over the remaining 3.5 m to the floor
    b. Find the work done by friction over that distance.
    c. Use the net work to find the speed with which the fireman hits the floor.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 09-23-2005 at 04:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default aahhhh a photos of the elusive slide.

I found a picture of quite the space absorbing contraption...the firehouse slide!

FTM-PTB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

I found a picture of quite the space absorbing contraption...the firehouse slide!
    Isn't that from the famous water tower station near Columbus?

http://columbusfire.8m.com/station95.html
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ffsmromstadt13
    No! No! She likes the strip clubs. The girls also like HER!!!!! That will help the research and the movies. That's another forum?????????? SORRY!!!!!
    ..........dude you are killin me ! but she is a hottie !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with Lewiston2CApt...This is one of the safety rules that all our guys are instructed on in regards to the pole. Don't slide when you are wet and the gear stays on the appratus floor. Along with not having landing mats...these are two of the simple issues that are often used as arguments against poles...when actually if the simple safety rules and common sense were followed there would be minimal issues.

FTM-PTB

PS- I slid the pole 5 times last night(once in another house as we were relocated) and I'm still alive to talk about it
    I have to agree on the wet issue. I have used the pole when my turnouts were wet. You get down pretty fast. Unless you know how to slow down, you should leave your wet turn-outs by the rig. The mats are nice but I have found that when you near the bottom of the pole use those legs as shock absorbers.
    I feel that the pole, when used properly and safely, can be a very effective tool to accomplish safe and fast turn out response times.
    P.S. I slid it 4 times last night (after 0000 hrs) and believe it or not I made it to the rig each time with all muscles and bones attached and working normally according to manufacturers specifications.

Turd and Fred....I remember that 2 story house. Plastic coated stairs, far from the bunk rooms and far from the rigs.
    Last edited by ehs7554; 09-23-2005 at 11:54 PM.

Forum Member

FTM-PTB

Me thinks that could be enjoyable with a 2-1/2 at the top, and a dump tank at the bottom for those hot summer days
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have three poles in my Volunteer House. I am not going to debate the safety of them, but I like them. It beats trampling with 10 other guys down a 32 step flight of stairs at "Oh-Dark-thirty" trying not to trip. We removed one of them but put it back in last month.

I figured some of the safety ninnies would come on here yapping about how dangerous they are. The slides seem neat, but as FFFRed pointed out, they take up alot of space. And yes, Ontario Airport in California has a slide...anyone who has kids and saw "There goes a Firetruck" saw that.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Somebody already said it, but I remember being in a Bowling Green (OH) fire station as a kid and they had a slide. I remember the black scuff marks on the outside of the slide from the guys "braking" as they come down. Cool stuff.

Is that tube slide a few posts up for real? That's awesome!
    LT Lou DiMattia
    Willoughby Hills Fire Department
    Willoughby Hills, OH USA

It's your world buddy, we're just livin' in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerman17
    My vollie firehouse has a pole but it is closed off to use. The powers that be say it's against our insurance regs since it's too dangerous!!!! Now I'm not an expert when it comes to insurance policies but wouldn't it be a liability ONLY if the person who gets injured sues their own firehouse.? There are a lot of members who would like to put the pole back into operation and avoid the trip downstairs at night(Almost killed myself a few nights back) but we can't get around this insurance issue. Can anyone help here?
    Workmans comp has to be paid if injured in the firehouse while working. These poles are dangerous, Our neighbor has one and manage to break 1 ankle a year on these things. They're running about 4500 calls a year out of this firehouse and sure enough they tell us it always happens on a middle of the night call when the guy isn't paying attention and pretty much forgets to hang on. All new firehouses in our area are being built 1 story and the layout is much better than our 2 story headquarters station. I leave the bunkroom and across the hall to the turnout gear room, get dressed and I'm gone. Wouldn't build a station any other way.

Thread Information