Forum Member

Default Where to get a Fire pole/Slide pole???

Yes, I did a quick search first........

Our station is in the midst of being built and we had a little snafu....... There were 2 stairways in the plans and that have been built, but only one is usable due to an Engineering goof-up. (They positioned the stairs so as you walk up the stairs you will hit your head on the beams at the top).

We are trying to get information to get a pole in place of the stairs that are screwed up. I have gone to McIntire Brass Works Inc. and have also looked at Darley's website. Does anyone know of other places to get one? I know a local FD got one recently and I thought their previous Chief said he got it from some place in Michigan, but wasn't sure where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

McIntire is probably your best bet Bro. I've done quite a bit of research into the subject of firehouse construction and design and by far the most reliable and simplest course of action would be to go with the guys who have focused a large part of their operation to making firehouse brass poles.

Any Brass works out there can make a pole (It isn't much different than a brass railing found at your feet in most bars)...however the pole needs to be of a certain quality and thickness to endure the use as a sliding pole. Also McIntire has some excellent fall protection features on the cages as well as nice thick neoprean landing mats. They are your best bet.

I once worked in a 2 story house that only had stairs and it was a joke and a safety issue. Put the pole in and it will help your turnout times (and it adds that little bit of character and charm back into the firehouse that most modern architecture lacks today.)

FTM-PTB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FFFRED; 09-19-2005 at 05:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=44729

The bottom of this article has some links... ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=44729

The bottom of this article has some links... ?
    Yeah, I saw the article, but McIntire is the only manufacturer link.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Any new house should have a pole, no way around it.

Back when I was just a little pup, I remember taking trips with my grandfather down to his 'house and him picking me up and letting me go down four or five feet on the pole. Ten years later I made my way into the same house and was a junior firefighter there for two years. They had closed off two of the three poles at that time, we still used the last one. Scary as hell to think about doing now. It was a good twenfty five foot drop on the biggest pole, which went right down through the "U" of the stair case.

House has over 100 years of tradition in it, it's sad to think that they are finally moving out of it to the new facility. Building has been pretty much condemned, and isn't safe any longer. Sad to see them move, Most of my memories around the fire department were in that house when I was just a little tot.

Wow, sorry to go off topic here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Alright 77 that does it....know anybody that wants to buy a house in Point Place?
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Yeah, I have alot of memories from stations with fire poles too. My Dad's station has one and I think that they are awesome. My Dad also held me up and slid me down the pole when I was little and went down the whole thing by myself as I was older. Even in a promotional video for membership, they dropped a clothed dummy down it like he had fallen and alot of people didn't get it. Definatly get a pole '77.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Cool I knew these forums were good for something. I sat down at the computer with the intent of doing a search on this very subject as we are in the design phase of an addition that will more than double our current HQ.

The architect included a pole in his prelim drawing (at our request of course ) but it got me thinking of where to get one.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Sliding poles are dangerous! Too many members have been injured sliding poles, either landing too hard, having someone land on them or hitting the apparatus parked close to the pole. Try to stay away from them, if at all possible. Build or rebuilt the house as a single level or have the kitchen up stairs and the living area and bunk room on the first level.

We have several that are two stores and the bunk rooms are on the first level and the others are one story which is replacement houses for the old two and three story ones.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

Or you could put the pole in a place that is protected from apparatus. e.g. In a little room off the engine bay or in a hallway to the bay. Also, get a thick foam pad for the bottom.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sliding poles are dangerous! Too many members have been injured sliding poles, either landing too hard, having someone land on them or hitting the apparatus parked close to the pole. Try to stay away from them, if at all possible. Build or rebuilt the house as a single level or have the kitchen up stairs and the living area and bunk room on the first level.

We have several that are two stores and the bunk rooms are on the first level and the others are one story which is replacement houses for the old two and three story ones.
    Let us be honest Bro. You can only get injured if you or someone else is careless or stupid around them. Poles are no more dangerous than operating a partner saw on a roof. I actually know guys who have been cut with the saw, should we get rid of the saws and use old trusty axe again?. I can't think of one that has been injured by the pole. Hell they put the g-dd-mned things in Playgrounds for children...how dangerous can they be?

As cited in the artilce link above the reason for many two story firehouses in recent years is because of the size requirements for a modern firehouse and the availaible and affordable land that cities must purchase. One look at www.firestationdesign.com would show you the days of the Johnny & Roy Firehouse are over. I've seen some that look large enough to accomidate a strip mall complete with grocery store! Remember NFPA 1710 gives you 1 minute for a turnout.

Now of course the cities have to build up as not only is it cheaper but response/turnout times are getting to be excessive in these large floor plans (This was one of the main reasons San Antonio FD moved to more two-story designs)

Of course you could have stairs...however I too have worked in a house with just stairs and having all the men run down the stairs at night is just as dangerous(triped on them myself) and it takes an ecessively long time to turnout. Stairs are no safer than poles...at least in my research and experience.

My Battalion alone has probably about 45-50 guys working a day in one of the busiest areas of the city for run volume...2 and 3 story firehouses with poles with 1000s of runs a year with up to 4 or 5 men sliding the poles per company. I can't think of one guys who has gone on ML from pole injuries. In fact I would say that having a pole(s) eliminates the need for rushing to get on the rig as the poles drop you right next to the rig and your turnouts so you don't have to run or rush...which we all know is how injuries happen.

I'm not ignoring the fact that men have been injured or killed around them...however this has almost always been atributed to carelessness, horseplay, or failure to provide adequate fall protection around the opening or appropriate landing mats.

Here are some random thoughts/points to consider:
    • In an interview with an Assistant Chief in Columbia, SC. He stated that they used larger diameter poles (more friction, slower decent, easier to control) rather than the old skinny speed poles. And that they had a "safer" attitude towards responding that contributed to the zero injury rate.
    • Indianapolis FD facilities manager stated their newer houses placed the poles out of main foot traffic areas and had appropritate fall protections. No reported problems
    • Kansas City FD- Deputy Chief himself fell in a pole hole while moping the 2nd floor(as a fireman) as the holes were in the central part of the room and had no fall protection. Since then they have the McIntire cages and recessed oversized landing mats in their new houses and there have been no complaints.
    • No complaints at San Antonio (except the members there wanted brass and not steel) or DCFD, Oakland, CA; Phoneix, AZ; Metro-West FD(suburb of St.Louis) list goes on and on.

Despite some erroneous reports...in NYC we aren't removing the poles.
    There are many cities that have realized that the poles were created to provide a better service to the citizens and serve an important purpose in the swift and efffient turnout of the companies.

If you have a small single company firehouse with limited staffing...and no other land purchase/development issues a single story is probably best...however if youhave a multiple company firehouse or decide it is necessary to build up a pole is an excellent design feature that will only benefit the taxpayers and the members of the FD.

JMO.

FTM-PTB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FFFRED; 09-20-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Forum Member

fire poles are dangerous---- give me a break. Read the inside of your
    helmet. something to the effect of firefighting is inhearently dangerous.
    In my opinion this is what is wrong with the fire service today. I love the
    new beer commercial where a man acts like a sissy and gets crushed by
    a huge beer can. That should serve as an example for firehouses everywhere,
    acting like a sissy is bad for your health.

sorry about the rant/hijack - long day in a office with a broken a/c but it just
    rubs me the wrong way when the saftey natzis say "you cant do that you
    might get hurt. " men with brass balls have been sliding down brass poles
    for hundreds of years, why stop now?

Forum Member

Very well put. I have noted from articles in Fire Chief magazine that departments are reverting back to poles. This only makes sense, our stations should not be 150' to 200' long when we can go up to 2 or 3 floors. It is actually cheaper to build up.If used properly and the person is trained you shouldn't have a problem. As we all know the number 1 cause of injuries is [HORSEPLAY. Put your pole in '77, heck you should put in 2 of them!

Forum Member

My vollie firehouse has a pole but it is closed off to use. The powers that be say it's against our insurance regs since it's too dangerous!!!! Now I'm not an expert when it comes to insurance policies but wouldn't it be a liability ONLY if the person who gets injured sues their own firehouse.? There are a lot of members who would like to put the pole back into operation and avoid the trip downstairs at night(Almost killed myself a few nights back) but we can't get around this insurance issue. Can anyone help here?
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

Forum Member

We re-built all 3 of our houses in the last 5 years, and we kept poles in all 3 houses. We actually went from a 1 story 1960's single story w/o a pole to a 2 story brick with a pole on the same street corner at our #3. It's worked for over 100 years here.

Forum Member

Some of us can only dream...

Our dorm used to be in the basement, and we had to run UP stairs to get to the rigs. Now we're on one floor.

... what about moving sidewalks???
    LT Lou DiMattia
    Willoughby Hills Fire Department
    Willoughby Hills, OH USA

It's your world buddy, we're just livin' in it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFLOUD
    ... what about moving sidewalks???
    Why so when my rig breaks down I can still get to the call?????

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Fire40man
    Very well put. I have noted from articles in Fire Chief magazine that departments are reverting back to poles. This only makes sense, our stations should not be 150' to 200' long when we can go up to 2 or 3 floors. It is actually cheaper to build up.If used properly and the person is trained you shouldn't have a problem. As we all know the number 1 cause of injuries is [HORSEPLAY. Put your pole in '77, heck you should put in 2 of them!
    Also it seems that the drive-through station is fading away. According to the article, in many departments that have them, the back of the bay ends up getting seldom-used equipment stored there (rescue boat, various support trailers, reserve apparatus), so you can't drive through them anyway. I've been in a couple of stations like that. Plus, they take up a lot of land. We are planning a new station and are about to close the deal for the land....we had always said we wanted a drive through station, but putting a drive-through station on that lot would be a squeeze....a regular back-in station would fit comfortably.

Another thing....anybody hear of a station with a slide from the upper floor instead of the traditional pole? I could swear I'd heard of this being used in some places, but I can't find any reference to them. Anybody ever seen one of these?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    Another thing....anybody hear of a station with a slide from the upper floor instead of the traditional pole? I could swear I'd heard of this being used in some places, but I can't find any reference to them. Anybody ever seen one of these?
    Midwest City, OK has a slide. Only a few out there I'm aware of.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Bowling Green, Ohio FD has a slide .............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information