Thread: Rita

Forum Member

We got hit the the remnants yesterday... and luckily it was milder than expected. It was projected as a Cat 1 in our area but luckily it began to fall apart soon than expected and only hit us as a tropical storm. Just a few miles to the west they did get a bit more wind and double the rain ... so we dodged the bullet by about 15 miles. Had some trees down, lots of short power outages and a couple of wind caused MVAs, but far less than expected.

Station2Capt .. how was it over there in Longview ?

Forum Member

YEs Galveston had a few major fires. I work for GFD and was one of the ones at the San Luis. THe first fire came in about 4pm at a corner store. It pretty much snuffed itself out due to bing all borded up. We had 50 mph winds on that one. We closed all call responses at 6pm due to the winds. At about 9:45pm we were all called to the 2nd floor to get deployed to the Historic strand. WE sent almost everyone we had. One 2 story art galery/ home on the second floor. THis is where the person got burned at 22% 2nd and 3rd degree burns. THe building was built in 1895. It was built after a fire almost destroyed the town around 1890. Those 2 were total loses. We saved the old historic custom house. Only 1 room damaged. During all this we had 100 + mph winds. The ladders did not go up till the next day. We were very glad to see houston sent us 4 eng, 2 lad, 1 dc, 1 medic unit. THey helped us out so much. Much thanks goes out to HFD for coming acrass the bridge. THe next day we had a fire at the office max. and are making numerous other fires. This was definatly an experince of a lifetime. Chris

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    Well, I'll be darn............the witch Rita is coming to my house!

Just got off the NHC web site and saw this graphic:
    I hope she comes here! We need the rain!!!!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Chris - glad to see y'all stayed safe down there. Were they all downed poles and arcing or were there some restless natives attempting to cause mayhem?

Dennis - we needed the rain too. SW side of Houston got less than half an inch. I had to water my lawn all weekend and the grass is still brown. Feast or famine.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

We had 7" rain from 11:00 AM yesterday till 7:00 PM last night!

Major flooding in our county, no school today for the kids......
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

BC79ER, Most of the after calls were power lines down and arcing. Friday night late the fire chief had Relient (Or whoever they are this week) turn off power to the island since we were having the fires. So when they came back on , well they all had issues with arcing). I believe all 3 major fires were caused by electrical.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Interesting. Get requested to turn the power off due to downed wires and arcing, then turn it back on without checking anything first? That's one way to start urban renewal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spearsm
    I KNEW they were up to something.......
    Read this online somewhere:

Some meteorologists contend there has been weather-warfare. That is, they say, that there have been two man-made hurricanes, Ivan [The Terrible], 2004, and Katrina, 2005. And, that these storms were created by technology long-known and directed to specific areas.

One weatherman asserted that Russia has long claimed they can send extreme weather and turbulence from Siberia targeting the United States. He proclaimed that Russia did that with Ivan [later called Ivan The Terrible] in 2004 and Katrina, 2005.

He appeared on the Coast-To-Coast radio talk show with host George Noory, about a night after Katrina hit the Gulf. In describing how brazenly the hurricane was created and directed, that as an inside signal, it came right over the National Hurricane Center in Florida.

Oh yeah...you can create hurricanes...you can also blow holes in levies without anyone hearing an explosion... I hope nobody takes that as face value...in reality we should all just point and laugh at these people like they forgot to put pants on and walked onto a stage of some sort...
    Last edited by ElChup175; 09-27-2005 at 12:39 AM.
    This we do so others may live

Forum Member

double post...must not be my day
    Last edited by ElChup175; 09-27-2005 at 12:43 AM.
    This we do so others may live

Forum Member

http://www.weatherwars.info/

Better start making your tin-foil hats!

This is the site that the first page references :
    http://www.cheniere.org/
    Last edited by Skwerl530; 09-27-2005 at 08:35 AM.
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

the Yakuza's leased giant scalar interferometers
    Hmmm, someone has built a machine that alters weather and the most technical term someone else can come up for it is an interferometer?! That's too funny. I'm laughing so hard I need to get out my heartbeat-listening thingy to make sure I'm still alive.

Let alone the fact that someone else built the thing, and is now "leasing" it to the Japanese Mafia. I didn't know they were that concerned with owning a piece of equipment and only being able to depreciate it for 5 years....

Forum Member

LaFireEducator,

Sounds like we got about the same as you over there, I had lots of small limbs down in the yard. (2 trucks full) Power out over many parts of the Longview. Only saw a few houses with damage, all of them had large trees on them. We are busy with shelters, about 1400 evacuees here at peak counts. In fact I spent 3 hours on the side of the road helping 15 busses from Port Author find shelters when everything in Longview filled up. It was a nightmare locating places that could take 250 more people. The EOC was telling me "everything in Longview is completley full". Well after 3 hours of making phone calls from the side of the road a P.D. officer walks up to me and askes if this is the group from Port Author? I said yes and he said we have been waiting for them at the Maude Cobb shelter. I told him I have been talking with the EOC and they said there was no room anywhere in Longview. He said he know that but the day shift at the EOC did not pass on the word that this P.A. group had already been taken care off and shelter already arranged. I was glad of that but kinda ****ed that I spent 3 hours in the rain on the side of the road while we were trying to find a place for them to stay.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Interferometer

Haha, I love it. I could use that in my Department. One Paramedic was trying to get an Asst. Chief to get rid of our wooden backboards, after the board split and cut his (medic's) leg. Chief said "okay, any Board that doesn't pass the legometer test should be tossed", haha.
    Last edited by sevenfingers; 09-29-2005 at 09:04 PM.

Thread Information