Thread: Rita

Forum Member

Default Rita

Looks like she may become a real bitch.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I heard that on the radio today on my way home from work.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Here we go again!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

National Hurricane Center

Test Page, had to try something......

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing......
    Last edited by arhaney; 09-19-2005 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Note to self......It works!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Default Lovely Rita?

Lovely Rita, Rita Mae.....sorry for the old song . But, I could say....wonder where "Rita Mae" go?

Forum Member

Here we go again
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

former FH.com member

Looks like my Saturday shift will not be slow.

MembersZone Subscriber

You all stay safe down there and keep your heads above water if Rita visits.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Man-oh-man

Anybody hear yet if the Keys got hit bad? All I heard was a quick blurb on the radio yesterday that Rita was expected today in the Keys and that she could hit west of New Orleans, which means that city will get slammed with the worst of the storm.

EVERYONE STAY SAFE OUT THERE!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Lovely Rita, Rita Mae.....sorry for the old song
    Lennon and Harrison just rolled over in their graves.

Forum Member

It's lovely Rita METER MAID. I am really happy I am leaving for Texas Thursday.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Why is it that this storm is predicted to go west when there will not be a High pressure to prevent it from turning north?????

Wishful thinking I guess. (Or they are playing Ostrich)

Can you find the "blocking high" in these pictures???
    I can't.

Tonight:
    http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/basicwx/92f.gif
    Tomorrow night:
    http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/basicwx/94f.gif
    Thursday Morning:
    http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/basicwx/96f.gif

former FH.com member

I have been watching this very closely as there could be a major impact in San Antonio this weekend. From every source I have seen, the consistent prediction is that the high pressure over TX will shift east over LA/MS which would keep Rita on her westward track towards the TX coast. The situation bears monitoring all week though by anyone on the Gulf coast.

Forum Member

Default San Antone Truck

So are you saying I should pack some rain gear for Austin this weekend?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

former FH.com member

If things continue as predicted...yes. (And by the way, make sure you hit 6th street while while your there. )

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Someone screwed up my order, I asked for a Margerita, not a Rita.

Mikey, bring a rubber raft to ride around in, that way you don't have to worry about falling down in a puddle. I'm getting out my floaties.

All of the coastal school are canceled today through Friday already, the rest are looking like they're going to cancel tomorrow and Friday at minimum. People are really getting out of Dodge around here. My casa is about 70 miles from the coast but they're still predicting 70+ mph winds by the time it gets to us. I'll probably send the Mrs off to a friend's place since she's the one carrying the baby, and I'll hang at the house. Other than moving anything that can blow away into the garage, I don't plan on doing much more than having food and water in case the power goes out. I see a lot of M/A going on for days afterwards if it hits as a Cat 4/5. I took an engine to the east side of the county when TS Allison hit for coverage, probably end up on all weekend for S&R and other such things.

Keep the Galveston, Baytown, Friendswood, Chorpus, and other southeastern areas in your thoughts & prayers, they're going to take the brunt of it. I haven't heard what the brothers and sisters down there are doing as far as staying or going, but hopefully they stay out of harms way. At 55mph winds all emergency services stop around here, so hopefully those in the low lying areas are getting out.

And whoever ******ed off Mother Nature can you at least try and calm her down again?

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Unhappy This bitch is up to a CAT 4 now

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/...ita/index.html

Hurricane Rita upgraded to Category 4
    Maximum sustained winds reach 135 mph

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 Posted: 1235 GMT (2035 HKT)

Hurricane Rita is shown in this satellite image taken at 3:45 a.m. ET Wednesday.
    Image:

Hurricane Rita is 'another monster storm' (2:38)

Where Hurricane Rita may go (2:04)

High winds, waves hit Florida (2:27)
    RELATED
    Map: Tracking Rita

• Gallery: Rita batters Florida
    • Bush eyes Rita on Gulf visit
    • Storm names may go Greek
    • Interactive: Projected path

KEY LARGO, Florida (CNN) -- Hurricane Rita picked up strength Wednesday as it churned toward the Texas Gulf Coast and was upgraded to a Category 4 storm with winds topping 135 mph.

At 8 a.m. ET, Rita was centered about 195 miles (313 kilometers) west of Key West, Florida, and 790 miles (1,271 kilometers) east-southeast of Corpus Christi, Texas.

The latest extended forecast from the hurricane center has Rita gathering strength before the eye makes landfall near Galveston, Texas, late Friday or early Saturday. That would place Rita about midway between New Orleans and Brownsville, Texas. (Watch Galveston residents prepare for Rita -- 1:22)

A Category 4 storm, with top sustained winds of 131 to 155 mph (210-249 kph), can cause extreme damage, according to the Saffir-Simpson scale measuring hurricane strength.

Galveston orders evacuations
    In Galveston, a city of 60,000 flattened by a hurricane in 1900, Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas declared a state of emergency Tuesday night and ordered mandatory evacuations of nursing homes, assisted living centers and similar facilities starting at 6 a.m. Wednesday. The evacuation plan applies to all of Galveston County.

She also said mandatory evacuations of other parts of the city would begin at 6 p.m. Wednesday, and continue into Thursday. The evacuations are being done in phases, according to where people live. Galveston schools will close, beginning Wednesday, Thomas said.

"Conditions in the central Gulf are much like they were for Katrina," hurricane center meteorologist Ed Rappaport told CNN Tuesday evening.

Nearly 1,000 deaths have been blamed on Hurricane Katrina, which struck August 29.

Saying an effective response to Hurricane Rita is "beyond the capabilities of the state and affected local governments," Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco on Tuesday asked President Bush to declare a state of emergency ahead of the storm. (Full story)

Blanco declared a state of emergency for parishes in the southwestern portion of her state in case Rita hits closer to the Texas state line.

"Right now it's between Galveston and Brownsville, which is a little bit further west from Louisiana," Blanco said. "We are still concerned, though, about the possibility of rising waters, tides that may be higher than normal. They could be 2 to 3 feet higher than normal, which could impact our low-lying areas in this region of the state, in the southeast region."

Louisiana officials are looking for additional shelter space in case Rita heads there. As a result of Katrina, 13,000 people are housed in shelters south of Interstate 10, the area considered most vulnerable to hurricanes.

Rita is expected to produce additional rainfall accumulations of 2 to 4 inches over the Florida Keys and the southern Florida Peninsula, with isolated storm total amounts of 12 inches. Rainfall totals of 6 to 10 inches are possible over western Cuba and 1 to 3 inches over the northern Yucatan Peninsula, with isolated maximum amounts of 20 inches over portions of western Cuba.

New Orleans gets ready
    New Orleans began the process of evacuating the few residents who remain in the hurricane-ravaged city Tuesday ahead of a new threat from Rita, Mayor Ray Nagin said.

Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad Allen, the federal point man for recovery efforts, said 500 buses are standing by to take people out of the city, and contingency plans were being made to use commercial jetliners to get people out if necessary.

"I think the federal government, the state government and local government are a lot smarter this time around," Nagin said.

During his fifth visit to Louisiana to monitor recovery efforts from Hurricane Katrina, President Bush on Tuesday issued a federal emergency declaration for the state of Florida, ordering federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts there. (Full story)

U.S. military troops and equipment in Louisiana that had been brought in to help in the aftermath of Katrina were considering evacuations if Rita continued on its current path.

The warships USS Iwo Jima and USS Shreveport have orders to steam out of New Orleans Wednesday if the storm stayed on course, the U.S. Northern Command said Tuesday.

The Northern Command also is identifying shelters and havens outside of New Orleans it might use to house the thousands of National Guard and active duty troops now engaged in relief efforts.

National Guard troops in southeast Louisiana may be repositioned to high-rise parking lots and similar facilities to be ready to react in case there's more flooding in New Orleans, said Brig. Gen. Joseph "Brod" Veillon.

Lt. Col. William J. Doran III of the state's Office of Emergency Preparedness said Tuesday that 3,000 buses are available to Louisiana's parishes for evacuations.

So far, none have been requested.

Rita's designation as a hurricane makes it the ninth in the busy 2005 Atlantic season, which has seen 17 named storms, with more than two months left to go.

Army Corps of Engineers Col. Duane Gapinski, in charge of draining New Orleans, said Tuesday night that even if Rita dumps 3 inches of rain over a six-hour period, causing 2 feet to 4 feet of flooding, the Corps should be able to pump the water out in a couple of days.

The Corps declared New Orleans "essentially dry" Tuesday night, after pumping three-quarters of a trillion gallons of water from the city into Lake Pontchartrain in the past 2 1/2 weeks. (Full story)

CNN's Dan Lothian, John Zarrella, Rob Marciano, Barbara Starr and Shelby Linn contributed to this report.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 09-21-2005 at 09:04 AM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Default Weather Machine.

I KNEW they were up to something.......
    Read this online somewhere:

Some meteorologists contend there has been weather-warfare. That is, they say, that there have been two man-made hurricanes, Ivan [The Terrible], 2004, and Katrina, 2005. And, that these storms were created by technology long-known and directed to specific areas.

One weatherman asserted that Russia has long claimed they can send extreme weather and turbulence from Siberia targeting the United States. He proclaimed that Russia did that with Ivan [later called Ivan The Terrible] in 2004 and Katrina, 2005.

He appeared on the Coast-To-Coast radio talk show with host George Noory, about a night after Katrina hit the Gulf. In describing how brazenly the hurricane was created and directed, that as an inside signal, it came right over the National Hurricane Center in Florida.

YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

The male Hurricane have been so much nicer then the females this season.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Man made hurrican, how the f u c k is that possable, never heard such BS
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

MembersZone Subscriber

Just upgraded to a Cat 5

Disillusioned Subscriber

She jumped from a 4 to a 5 in what 7 maybe 8 hours? She's going to be in some really, really warm water for a long time before landfall. Unless something happens prior to landfall, this one is probably going to redefine the word "devastation".
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Default Rita Cat 5

As of 1600 hrs CDT Rita is a Category 5 storm with highest sustained winds of 165 mph.

Center is predicted to pass over my city (80 miles from the coast as the crow flies) Saturday at about 1900 hrs. We are planning for sustained winds of 75 mph and gusts to 100 mph.

Funny thing is we are an evacuation destination for Galveston!

Forum Member

Well I tried.
    It would have been better for us all if Rita blew the trash around on our coast instead of shutting down the other half of the oilfield and two major ports that were taking the slack from katrina's damage.

I just hope that the response is more coordinated for Houston/Galveston this time around.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default OH SH*t

I dont like to bring God into these things, but me thinks he man upstairs is ****ed at someone.

Good Luck, Keep your heads down.

Thread Information