Forum Member

Default Girl needing some advice!

Alright guys heres the deal. I am at the gym 4 times a week. I do weight training all 4 working a diff muscle group each day. I have always been a crappy runner so i started that about 3 monthes ago and am finally at the point where i can run comfortably so i do that every time i workout as well. I have started to incorporate the stair climber into my workout for 5 minutes at 60 steps/min. I have been working out since january, but i have seriously been working out probably for the past 4 monthes. I want to enter the fire academy and be able to do whatever they throw at me and not be one of those wussy girls. My main problem is pushups! I don't know why, i have muscles and i am strong but i can't figure out why i am having such a hard time with pushups.. Can anyone give me some advice? I started the stair climber so eventually i could be ready for the CPAT i will buy the weighted vest once i have some money. So my question is what else should i incorporate to be able to pass the CPAT and be able to be ready for the academy and can you guys help me out with how i can get better at pushups? I have seen girls with no muscle do them, i can't figure out why i can't! Thanks in advance.
    Nicole

MembersZone Subscriber

You get better at doing puch-ups by doing push-ups. Try using different hand positions to stress different parts of you chest. The thing is, many places use push-ups incorrectly to judge ones upper boby strength when in fact it is an endurance movement. I can bench press over 400 pounds but can barely pushout 25 push-ups. You may also using free weights do chest movements but use light wieght and high reps to help build you endurance.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

You can try dumb bell bench presses. Depending on your weight and straight....I'd probably take some 10lb dumb bells and do 3 sets of 12 reps.

Then I would go to the incline bench press and use those same 10lb dumb bells. Repeat 3 more sets of 12lb.

Women have a more difficult time with chest exercises because of the less developed pectoral muscle. After you get done doing these try doing 3-5 pushups.

The weight will probably seem a little light for you, but you're trying to develop muscular endurance not raw muscle power.

On a side note....I call bs on the 400lb bench press and not being able to do 25 pushups.

COFire282
    Firehouse.com Guest

Start off doing pushups on your knees. Then graduate to incline push-ups...start using a wall, then move to doing them with your hands on a bar at about chest height, then use a flat bench at the gym & use that for your hands.

Sometimes people can build up to them by starting with their chest already on the ground. Lay on your stomach, hands out to the side, even with your shoulders. Point your toes under and press up, then come all the way back down to the ground. Take a 2-5 second break and do another one.

I have hard times with pull-ups. I can crank out 30-40 pushups easy, but ask me to do a pull-up of ANY kind, and I'll hang all day.

Good luck to you!
    Ang

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was in the service they told us to try something called a pyramid to build endurance. Start off chest on the ground. Then do 1 pushup, rest for a couple seconds, do 2 pushups, rest, 3, rest, up to say 5 or 10 to start off with, then go back wards, 5, rest, 4, rest, so on. Now here is the trick to help your endurance. say you get to 3 and you cant push up anymore, push up as much as you can, I may really strain it out, then come down, count that, then do it again. complete the reps. At first every pushup may not be a complete push up but eventually you will be knocking em out like a boot jarhead in week 10. Good luck let me know if that works for you
    Hug a firefighter the next time one holds you they may be saving your life.

Forum Member

Hey guys thanks so much for the advice. I already have a dedicated chest day at the gym, so i'm already doing the chest presses etc... I'm not having a problem with that i think my muscles are there i just have to figure out how to do the pushups correctly! I'm going to give that pyramid a try tonight. Thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by smokeNphyer
    On a side note....I call bs on the 400lb bench press and not being able to do 25 pushups.
    Well, I can do the push-ups, but they kill me. That is my point though that push-ups are endurance based, not strength, but yet they are used to test ones "upper body strength".

MembersZone Subscriber

Another trick I learned while in the police academy, when you start getting tired, move you hand position. Maybe move them in or out or back alittle bit. This helps you recruit muscles that weren't being used thus giving you a little fresh muscle to help you get thru those last few push-ups.

Forum Member

Nice! Awesome guys, thanks again! I saw this guy do some pushups the other day in my class and he didn't even break a sweat and seriously he did 25 perfect pushups in under 20 seconds, i was amazed! Anyway i've started doing pushups every night so hopefully i will be able to do a lot in no time!

Forum Member

A quick tip that has helped me improve my pushups.

Start by getting a base of how many push ups you can do. Do as many push ups as you can until you can barely crank them out. For me, that # was 47.

Take the number you topped out at and divide it by 2, which for me was 23.5 so I rounded up to 24. Now do three sets a day of 24. With a bit of rest in between, maybe a minute max. Do some situps in between.

Recheck your baseline every week. By the third week I guarantee you will be able to do a higher number of pushups. The second week not so much as your muscles will be breaking down and rebuilding depending on your own exercise habits.

Good luck to all this may help. It worked for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like good advice. Make sure you mix things up too. You can try elevating you feet to hit the upper part of you chest, elevate you head to hit the lower part of your chest, do some negatives at the end of your push-up set, different hand positions, ect. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Thread Information