MembersZone Subscriber

Default Is anyone developing an intrinsically safe TIC?

For those who have TIC manufacturer contacts does anyone know of anyone developing an intrinsically safe TIC?
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by stillPSFB
    For those who have TIC manufacturer contacts does anyone know of anyone developing an intrinsically safe TIC?
    The bigger question is, "Would anybody BUY an intrinsically safe TI?"

NFPA, at least as of a year ago, was trying to determine what the standards should be for electronic items, including TIs.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjb
    The bigger question is, "Would anybody BUY an intrinsically safe TI?"

NFPA, at least as of a year ago, was trying to determine what the standards should be for electronic items, including TIs.
    I was asked the question by the leader of a mine rescue team, so I guess someone is interested in buying one.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by stillPSFB
    I was asked the question by the leader of a mine rescue team, so I guess someone is interested in buying one.
    I should have clarified more on my statement. An intrinsically safe TI could probably be designed and manufactured (to my knowledge, it hasn't been done yet...but mostly because it hasn't been demanded by the marketplace). The problem is that it may have to weigh 12 lbs., be the size of a 9" TV and cost $35,000.

So, the form factor and the cost may both preclude the market actually wanting to BUY an intrinsically safe TI.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

What do you mean intrinsically safe? I routinely use Hand Held Thermal Imagers or External building/vehicle mounted TI's in my line of work. I've never been told that they are/could be unsafe :confused

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by akagrsfs
    What do you mean intrinsically safe? I routinely use Hand Held Thermal Imagers or External building/vehicle mounted TI's in my line of work. I've never been told that they are/could be unsafe :confused
    Instrinsic safety refers to the ability of an item to avoid starting a flash fire, even if there are a number of unanticipated electrical faults in the system. There are different grades of intrinsic safety, depending on the anticipated environment. "Explosion proof" means that the electronics are not intrinsically safe (so they could ignite a fire in the right conditions) but they are contained such that if they did, the exploding gases would not ignite the rest of the environment.

Once the fire is there, it doesn't matter...it is mostly an issue for certain hazmat environments.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjb
    Instrinsic safety refers to the ability of an item to avoid starting a flash fire, even if there are a number of unanticipated electrical faults in the system. There are different grades of intrinsic safety, depending on the anticipated environment. "Explosion proof" means that the electronics are not intrinsically safe (so they could ignite a fire in the right conditions) but they are contained such that if they did, the exploding gases would not ignite the rest of the environment.

Once the fire is there, it doesn't matter...it is mostly an issue for certain hazmat environments.
    So I guess I don't need to worry about it then, seeing as my line of work isn't firefighting. Thanks bro.

Thread Information