Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Grant benefits of combining EMS & Fire

As FEMA grants are now available for EMS Services also,
    is there any benefit to Fire & EMS Services combining into one enity for grant purposes?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It depends on what the grant is for. One vehicle wouldn't be good for both, but any similar items would be more than beneficial to combine. For instance any communications equipment such as the one that SYFIRE and one or two others have done successfully this year.

Perhaps if you tell us what you're thinking about for a project we can give a better rundown.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the EMS grants are for "non-Fire Department" municipal EMS services. It would seem to me that by combining them, you lose the option of applying for an AFG for both.
    Last edited by ameryfd; 09-21-2005 at 02:31 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It can be done as a regional project, as long as the equipment is eligible for both entities to apply for separately. And if they're applying for the same thing, if they don't do it together one might get the award and the other not. Or they both get canned because they did not increase the cost-benefit and interoperability of the area by applying together.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    It can be done as a regional project, as long as the equipment is eligible for both entities to apply for separately. And if they're applying for the same thing, if they don't do it together one might get the award and the other not. Or they both get canned because they did not increase the cost-benefit and interoperability of the area by applying together.
    I think we need more info from him. If he want's to combine to show a better cost-benefit, that makes sense. But if he is thinking of combining in hopes that the two enteties as one will score higher, I don't know if that's correct 100-percent..... Plus, if they combine and each need seperate pieces of equipment...say PPE for the FD and blood pressure cuffs for the EMS...it would seem to me to be easier to justify each piece in two seperate narratives rather than a single one.....

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I agree, which is why I said in the first post it would have to be something common to both sides of the application in order to be a regional app, and communications equipment is about the only one I can think of offhand. They will most certainly score lower if they apply together for different equipment, like you said, EMS stuff for the squad, PPE for the FD. One high score will not drag up the lower part since each activity is scored separately. Back in the PG it says that if more than one activity is requested (as in training & PPE), then the scores for each one are prorated by the percentage of the total request, then averaged for the final score in Peer Review. Same reason they say to avoid laundry lists with mixed priority items.

Thread Information