MembersZone Subscriber

Default Grants for Station Expansion

Can anyone tell me some grants that may be out there that would fund a station expansion? I know AFG won't and I have talked to the folks at the rural development grant office and our median income is too high. Any other suggestions?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The only other one I can think of right now is the opposite of Rural Development, and you would have the opposite problem with them, not urban enough.

I'll have to dig a little bit later, I've got a Rita coming, and I don't mean the frozen kind with salt.

MembersZone Subscriber

ok let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

When you said "Rural Development", was that under the USDA? If so, I don't know of anything else. I'll do some checking too.
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

Forum Member

I have the same question. We desperately need an updated station but are not sure where to turn. We would like to update our station or build a new one with enough room for all of our equipment. (we currently have to park one truck outside.) We would also like to add a fitness room. Can someone direct me where to start looking? Not sure if it matters, but the median income of our coverage area is under $28,000.

MembersZone Subscriber

You need to talk with your Federal Elected Officals. There was two departments in Illinois that received Federal money to help with their station upgrade. Now this was not a quick fix, it took almost three years to complete the funding. Another department was close to getting some help but when they were asked for the plans, the departments trustees did not act fast enough and they were passed by. So when you talk with them have everything ready and everyone on board with your plans. The number of voters you have in your area will also play a big part, we tried this plan of attact for our expansion but soon found we did not have the votes that could get there attention. Don't get down when they say no! just keep after them and you might just get some help. Of the two departments, both received 50 to 75 % of there project.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DellroyVFD08
    I have the same question. We desperately need an updated station but are not sure where to turn. We would like to update our station or build a new one with enough room for all of our equipment. (we currently have to park one truck outside.) We would also like to add a fitness room. Can someone direct me where to start looking? Not sure if it matters, but the median income of our coverage area is under $28,000.
    You're likely in the USDA Rural Development qualified category. Limites vary by state. $30000 is cutoff in Iowa for significant grant funding (can get up to 80-85% grant). Even if income levels are higher you may still be able to get in on the 15% grant funding (their may be another "tier" in the middle). Getting straight answers out of USDA is near impossible but they have different "tiers" of grant vs low interest loan.

Before you give them any $ determine max possible in $ and %. Talk general concept w/USDA and to some other like communities that have recently received building grant/loans packages. USDA "low interest" loans have been over priced (high rate) vs bank loan particularily given the PITA paperwork (think FEMA+). But as interest rates are going back up USDA loan may be worth screwing around with. But you will have USDA as your partner for many years. I'd much prefer my local banker (or a banker in West Undershirt, Africa) as my lender.

They may try to convience you that to get their grant $ you have to get your loan $ thru them. Not true. Bank paperwork is much easier. Make sure you get bank's "essential community service" rate (tax free/they pay no income tax on the interest received and you get a lower interest rate).

Thread Information