Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeking ideas

Louis N. Molino, Sr.

Post Seeking ideas

I am seeking ideas for the building of training props for both RIT type training as well as general fire service training. I'm doing courses for small rural VFDís all over Texas I the near future and we are planning on building portable training props for transport to the VFD stations. I am looking at a 20-24 foot long pipe trailer as my main mode of transport for these props so I need to build them in a way that allows for their transport and loading and unloading of same. I am interested in any type of prop so if you have ideas, plans, pictures etc. please send same to my attention at LNMolino@aol.com.

Thanks.

LNM

Louis N. Molino, Sr., CET
    FF/NREMT-B/FSI/EMSI
    Freelance Consultant/Trainer/Author/Journalist/Fire Protection Consultant

LNMolino@aol.com
    979-412-0890 (Cell Phone)

"A Texan with a Jersey Attitude"

The comments contained in this E-mail are the opinions of the author and the author alone. I in no way ever intend to speak for any person or organization that I am in any way whatsoever involved or associated with unless I specifically state that I am doing so.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lou:

The regional fire school here is building a few props that could easily be put on a trailer. We are currently building a pitched roof prop and a propane fed gas prop. The roof prop uses plywood panels that the student cuts with power or hand tools. The propane prop is a gas meter and a old 100 galllon propane tank (with openings to prevent rupture). A gas 'Christmas tree' gives students a chance to advance to the valve to stop the fire. The instructor operates the real valve away from the fire. The same setup is used on a metal pan, approximately 4' by 4' by 1'. We fill it half way with water and inject liquid propane to pipes on the bottom. Makes a great prop for portable fire extinguisher training. I did this for years with a gasoline and diesel mix on the water. This is a whole lot safer and cleaner.

These props are under construction as I type this. I'll send you some pictures when they are done.

How did you make out on the survey for your class?

Ken
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Louis N. Molino, Sr.

Default Your props and my survey

I look forward to the pictures and details of your props and as for the survey, I did well on the survey crappy on the class as a whole.

LNM

Louis N. Molino, Sr., CET
    FF/NREMT-B/FSI/EMSI
    Freelance Consultant/Trainer/Author/Journalist/Fire Protection Consultant

LNMolino@aol.com
    979-412-0890 (Cell Phone)

"A Texan with a Jersey Attitude"

The comments contained in this E-mail are the opinions of the author and the author alone. I in no way ever intend to speak for any person or organization that I am in any way whatsoever involved or associated with unless I specifically state that I am doing so.

Cool rescue 8 files

rescue 8 model U and numb cuffs are light , working models , and easy to instruct in their use. If interested in the free , in public domain instructions and pictures please contact me at davidmarshall1@verizon.net

The devices are easy to make from off the shelf materials.

r8dmarshall
    r8dmarshall
    because they can't wait use rescue8 self gripping throw flotation device . a make it your self in public domain rescue device.

After seeing a couple survival props we made our own. It is an 8' long, 2' square box with wires inside used for entanglement.
    1) You will need 2 sheets of plywood, 5 2x4's 12' in length, bolts and screws.
    2) Cut the plywood into 2x8 sheets, then take 1 of those sheets and cut another 6" off making it 18" wide. This sheet will be the top of the prop and allow you access to reach into the box to free a fire fighter if needed.
    3) Cut the 2x4's into 3' lengths and bolt 4 of them together to make a square. Just stack them like cribbing, no need to be fancy. Later you can remove some bolts to collapse this prop to smaller dimensions for storage or transport.
    4) At this point you should have 3 2'x8' sheets of plywood, 1 18"x8' sheet and 5 3'x3' squares made from 2x4's.
    5) Center the plywood inside the squares, on 2' center, and screw them in.
    6) Drill a hole in the 2x4's near each bolt. Run electrical wire in an X through the prop, get creative, but don't make them very tight. We obtained the wire from a local hardware store for free. We just asked for the leftover wire from the rolls that they wouldn't be able to sell. Any electrician or other supplier would probably help you out with their scraps as well.

Fully geared up, with their hoods on backwards, the fire fighters have to go the length of the box without cutting wires. This teaches them what points of their SCBA are more prone to snags, how to remain calm, maximize their air usage, what else is prone to entanglement and how to free themselves if caught. You can coach them as needed to help them through the box.
    ##IMPORTANT##
    It is highly recommended that you have a pair of cable cutters or simular tool within arms reach during this training. If someone panics or needs to get out fast you can reach in and cut them loose.
    We have also used the box without the wire to simulate a restricted opening for the fire fighter to pass through with their SCBA and for confined space training.

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions please let me know.

Walt.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber

The state of Kentucky uses trailers for RIT training that they tow around to various locations because I believe that they don't have an actual site for a state fire academy. I have only seen pictures of them, but they look pretty good for use. Good Luck!

Thread Information