MembersZone Subscriber

Default VERY SCARY...If true

I received this in a e-mail earlier today. I CANNOT verify if this is true or not, so take it for what it is worth.... Perhaps a law enforcement brother can verify...

Police officers working with the DARE program have issued this warning:

If you are driving after dark and see an on-coming car with no headlights
    on, DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS AT THEM! This is a common Bloods gang member
    initiation game.

The goes like this: The new gang member uniter initiation drives along with
    no headlights, and the first car to flash their headlights at him is now his
    target. He is now required to turn around and chase that car, then shoot
    and kill every individual in the vehicle in order to complete his initiation
    requirements.

Police Depts. across the nation are being warned that September 23rd and
    24th is the Blood initiation weekend. Their intent is to have all the new
    bloods nationwide drive around on Friday and Saturday nights with their
    headlights off. In order to be accepted into the gang, they have to shoot
    and kill all individuals in the first auto that does a courtesy flash to
    warn them that their lights are off.

Make sure you share this information with all the drivers in your family.
    Please forward this message to all your friends and family members to inform
    them about this initiation ritual. You can save someone's life if you heed
    to this warning.

Maria R. DeFeo
    Judicial Secretary to the Hon. Raymond A. Reddin
    Telephone 973-247-8329
    Fax 973-247-3283
    e-mail @ Maria.DeFeo@Judiciary.State.NJ.US
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

This story has been going around for years and years. I have never heard of a murder with this M.O. I know for a fact that at least around here the D.A.R.E. Officers on my Dept. (My Father is one) are not warning people about this. It's just another urban legend.
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Disillusioned Subscriber

This thing has been around in print since at least 1993. It's a hoax, and variations have been traced back to the early 80's.

Headlight hoax at Snopes
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking

Actually the vehicle with no lights on is probably an army geek practicing his "Blackout driving" skills.

Y'all know that in the army we drive with lights on during the day, but turn them off at sunset. This was always the standing joke when I worked in a field unit.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Alright, it's been noted. Thanks.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

This is an urban legend that has been around for years. Only the name and location of the sender seems to change on a regular basis.

Check www.snopes.com for myths and urban legends.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Talking gangs

No problem. When they pull up along side and role down their window to shoot I just pull the pin on the hand grenade resting by the spoon on my ashtray and pitch into their car. Boom, no bad guys and no car.

Forum Member

Like Steamer,I saw this back in 93 ,At the time,I was a security guard for a Church school.They were so concerned about it,I was getting asked to show up at dismissal time,even though the rentacop job was part time.
    I hadn't heard it in years,though if it were true,I'd draw them into a running battle(me running til I saw the police,then...)
    We use the light signals to rat out speed traps as well.
    Last edited by doughesson; 09-23-2005 at 05:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know, but I was told about this when I was in drivers Ed(many years ago). My instructor told the whole class never to flash lights at anyone because of this. Also the other reason is because gangs use it as a signal to inform other members of police, so if the cops see it they might pull you over.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by JorieH
    Also the other reason is because gangs use it as a signal to inform other members of police, so if the cops see it they might pull you over.
    I guess thats the difference between growing up in a mostly rual/suburban area rather than in the bigger cities (Vancouver included). Back home if you came across a guy with no lights on (not counting us army geeks ) its likely because they just plain dont work, or else he/she was checking out the full moon and stars.

.... eeerrr... wait... maybe that was me too.....????
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I heard that stuff a while back as well. But....I haven't been shot (yet) and I flash my lights anytime I see someone w/out their lights on; to warn someone when there's a speed trap; when there's room for a truck to pull in front of me; when it's safe for someone to turn in front of me;...... Now half the time it seems that people don't have a clue why I'm flashing, but...well, that's just their problem. (Until I get whacked then it won't be my problem anymore either. ).

MembersZone Subscriber

I've flashed my light to trucks who have their blinker on and I'm holding back to let them in. Darn city driver always keep cutting them off and the ambulance . Other than that I don't flash, most city people have attitudes when driving(some it's 24 7).

I've had people yell out their window to me because I've forgotten to turn my lights on. that's how most people do it here, not that many flash~generally it's the 45yo and up crowd that do.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JorieH
    I don't know, but I was told about this when I was in drivers Ed(many years ago). My instructor told the whole class never to flash lights at anyone because of this. Also the other reason is because gangs use it as a signal to inform other members of police, so if the cops see it they might pull you over.
    So if your driver's ed teacher said it, it must be true. No sense in believing the people who track these things down everyday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    So if your driver's ed teacher said it, it must be true. No sense in believing the people who track these things down everyday.

Didn't say it was true. That's how I heard about it the first time. Not going to say it's not, because I do not know.

Forum Member

Didn't say it was true. That's how I heard about it the first time. Not going to say it's not, because I do not know
    Wow, way to sit on the fence. Though im sure the good people here could find which side to push you over onto

I actually find it amazing the difference between the' " 'country' " ' (notice how many inverted commas it is in) and the city folk (damn flatlanders). In the suburbs, no one will let you in, flash you to tell you that you forgot your headlights, etc... but when i go up the mountain, everyone is a bit more courteous (most the time) and they even sit 20cm off your tail to tell you that you should be considerate and pull over.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Ok.....................

Is this Horse dead yet? Good, thought so, thanks. OK, Listen Up! Here's the deal. For those of you who really belive this stuff, I have a chance for you to acquire an interest in some really valuable Real Estate. I currently have a few shares of stock available in a Real Estate Investment Trust Fund that is holding a majority share of the Brooklyn Bridge...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Is this Horse dead yet? Good, thought so, thanks. OK, Listen Up! Here's the deal. For those of you who really belive this stuff, I have a chance for you to acquire an interest in some really valuable Real Estate. I currently have a few shares of stock available in a Real Estate Investment Trust Fund that is holding a majority share of the Brooklyn Bridge...........
    Don't forget the Corvette that is forsale for like $100. The only problem is that it stinks due to the dead bodies that were in it. Oh yeah. Then there's the priceless painting that had like a velvet dog painting covering it. And then there's...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Don't forget the Corvette that is forsale for like $100. The only problem is that it stinks due to the dead bodies that were in it. Oh yeah. Then there's the priceless painting that had like a velvet dog painting covering it. And then there's...
    The "banking executive" in Nigeria who is willing to share his fortune with you if you provide him with your bank account numbers so he can make a "deposit" into those accounts....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I've got a couple bottles of dihydrogen monoxide available if anybody wants some...

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    I've got a couple bottles of dihydrogen monoxide available if anybody wants some...

i heard that you can now get that in the dehydrated form.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

MembersZone Subscriber

You had better watch out, I heard that stuff is dangerous!

On a serious side for those of you that tend to believe these things, I've got almost 20 years' experience in the computer network field. Here's the advice I give my users:

If it says "tell everyone you know" or something similar, it will turn out to be a hoax.

I've yet to be proven wrong .

Disillusioned Subscriber

Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:
    1. Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
    2. Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
    3. Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    4. DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
    5. Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
    6. Contributes to soil erosion.
    7. Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    8. Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    9. Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    10. Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
    11. Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere.
    12. Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

There's also talk of banning the stuff as a performance enhancing substance.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    The "banking executive" in Nigeria who is willing to share his fortune with you if you provide him with your bank account numbers so he can make a "deposit" into those accounts....
    The only problem with those is that those are real. They are scam routines run by real criminals. It is interesting to note that the US Secret Service (yes, they have other responsibilities besides protecting the President) has personnel assigned to investigate nothing but Nigerian scams. They are also big time into ID theft and credit card scams.

To all: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER answer one of those Nigerian scam emails. You will be sorry.

Thread Information