Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Wink New Jersey Firefighters Wanted a Beer Cooler for Christmas!

Firemen, auxiliary feud over funds, beer cooler

Home News Tribune Online 09/22/05
    By ARIELLE LEVIN BECKER
    STAFF WRITER
    abecker@thnt.com

PISCATAWAY, N.J. ó The firefighters wanted a beer cooler for Christmas. The Ladies Auxiliary had other ideas.

"We were afraid if they drank at the firehouse and then got a fire call, they go out on those big trucks and can kill somebody or themselves," the auxiliary's treasurer, Rosemarie Picciuto, said, explaining why the women decided not to fulfill the firefighters' holiday gift request.

And although many members of the auxiliary are wives and other relatives of the company's firefighters, the women of the township's New Market Fire Company 1 Ladies Auxiliary said the incident was the start of a yearlong dispute with the fire company.

In July, after months of tension, members of the fire company voted to disband the 52-year-old Ladies Auxiliary. Weeks later, the auxiliary president returned to the firehouse and found the locks had been changed on the cabinets containing the auxiliary group's equipment.

Last week, the unit was notified by mail that entering the firehouse would be considered trespassing. Now, members of the Ladies Auxiliary say they've obtained an attorney and plan to continue meeting ó away from the firehouse.

"It's bad, it's petty, that's what it is, and we're not going to tolerate it anymore," said Christina Buchek, the auxiliary's recording secretary.

But Joseph Youssouf, an attorney for the fire company, disputed the women's claims. He said the problems actually stemmed from concerns that the Ladies Auxiliary had failed to use the money it raised to benefit the fire company. A member of the fire department raised similar concerns in December, alleging the Ladies Auxiliary had not purchased gifts for the firefighters in three years but had bought clothing and parade uniforms for its own members.

Youssouf said the dispute could have been easily resolved had the Ladies Auxiliary given the fire company access to the group's financial records ó something the women have repeatedly refused.

"As far as my client's concerned, the Ladies Auxiliary has been nothing but an impediment," he said.

Youssouf said he had not been told about the beer cooler and questioned its relevance. Using it to explain the conflict, he said, represented an unfair reversion to "the popular prejudice of volunteer firefighters as beer-swigging drunks."

Company Fire Chief Walter Siegrist III declined to comment.

Members of the Ladies Auxiliary acknowledged relations were tense with the fire company even before the beer-cooler incident. The fire chief would not call them to fires, where auxiliary units typically distribute food and water to relieve firefighters, Ladies Auxiliary President Jill Hospodar said. They were rarely invited to fundraisers, she said.

"It's been an ongoing thing," she said. "They just don't seem to think that they need us."

But Hospodar and other Ladies Auxiliary officials said things took a definite turn for the worse after the rejected beer-cooler request.

While the women had nixed the gift request in November, for safety reasons, she said, they explained it as a financial decision in an attempt to soften the blow.

"We were trying to be diplomatic," Picciuto said. "We were trying to say we didn't want them drunk."

The day after Christmas, the fire department sent the auxiliary a letter, placing the group's access to the firehouse on hold until they turned over their bank statements. In the letter, company Secretary Richard Prosuk Sr. wrote that the department believed the auxiliary had the money to purchase a beverage cooler.

"The body is concerned as to where the monies have gone, it sure hasn't been to help the fire company," he wrote.

The Ladies Auxiliary rejected that and subsequent requests for access to bank records. Members said they were not obligated to show their financial records because the group is independently incorporated.

But Youssouf questioned whether the auxiliary had used the money it raised properly.

"There are some serious questions that need to be answered," he said. "What is your function, what have you been doing, and why should you continue in existence if you're not doing what you're supposed to do?"

Members of the auxiliary said the organization had less than $5,000 and raised money through flea markets, a vendor night and other activities.

So far, some members of the 15-person auxiliary had taken leaves of absences or resigned, Buchek said.

And Youssouf, who represents several fire companies in the area, called the dispute the most drawn-out he'd ever seen.

"I've got to say, in 31 years of practicing law, this is unique where a ladies auxiliary is at loggerheads to this degree with a volunteer fire company," he said. "It's amazing."

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

That's just great.... another shining example of us being our own worst enemy!

These guys get what they deserve. You don't want rehabilitation help at a fire scene? Your problem.

Bad press for these guys too. Just what they will need come fundraiser time.

And the firefighters being upset about not getting gifts? Give me a break. Grow up and act like adults, not petty children.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I wanted one for Christmas too. My wife knew better she also said NO. Afraid that I would never leave the house again.

I think i might know whats really behind this piece of 'journalism'. I could be really wrong, but lets look at it this way. Maybe the guys thought they didnt need the rehab cause its just not worth calling them out. Maybe they thought 'hey if we keep a beer cooler (guess what guys, its not always used for beer) on the truck, we can have some cold drinks and take care of ourselves' (please dont start on the 'dont drink cold drinks' arguement) And the journalist has taken the side of the auxilliary because they were the first to take the story to the press.

I could be really wrong, but dont always take what is reported for the gospel.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Hi, I'm a NJ Firefighter and I don't want a Beer Cooler for Christmas.

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42

What the heck do you want them for.... you don't need to whistle.... that's what Q sirens are for!

In case anyone was wondering I also am from NJ and don't want a beer cooler... I want a Red Rider BB gun and who cares if "you can shoot your eye out with that!"

Hey Patty... while I vaguely see where you are coming from I think you missed a paragraph.
    "We were afraid if they drank at the firehouse and then got a fire call, they go out on those big trucks and can kill somebody or themselves,"
    It says at the firehouse and I think if you meant one of those mini-fridges for your rescue or other rig... I don't think you would refer to it as a beer cooler. I guess not unless you were dumb so I may have to retract that statement after further info comes out.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42

Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Oh my
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Holy $^&* Bones if you use those as your new teeth... you might be eligible for somewhere a little more.....sayyyyyy.... unpopulated than the Jersey Shore!!

I have to confess.... you guys come up with some good images when we need them, but this teeth image... that's a new all time high (or perhaps low)!

I think there's more to this story than what's in the press. You have this side, that side, and the inside. Any how, I'm from N.J. and I don't want a cooler, just the beer.

"We were afraid if they drank at the firehouse and then got a fire call, they go out on those big trucks and can kill somebody or themselves,"
    This is a quote from the auxilliary side. Do you think that they would say "We were afraid that if they drank cold drinks during their rehab, they might get a brain freeze"
    Again, there is always three sides to a story; his side, their side and the reality.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

I'm from NJ and I dont want a beer cooler either !!

our old one still works
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Well isnt that just DANDY !!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Did you say dandy or BRANDY!?!?!

Thread Information