Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EMS Grants

Forum Member

Default EMS Grants

I see on the Chief Grants web-page EMS has been combined with Fire, is this do to the lack of EMS Grants?

MembersZone Subscriber

When the AFG posts the award winners (fire & EMS) they are combined as a group. It's not because of a lack of EMS grants.

What I saw on the Chief Grants website was 3 agencies listed that won grants that had been helped or attended seminars fron Chief Grants. In this case both EMS and fire.

Forum Member

I’m aware of the AFG, I received a first time EMS grant this year. I was inquiring on any new grants available from the Chief Grants sight!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There really are no other grants specifically for EMS agencies. For the first time in 2005 the AFG allowed standalone, not for profit EMS agencies to apply. Prior to that , you had to try HUD Rural Development and other outlets. EMS is generally not included in many grants because EMS tranport agencies can bill insurance companies for services, something that fire departments can't do. Since that income potential is there, it is mistakenly believed to support EMS agencies. We all know it doesn't since very few pay their bills. We're running about 30% on collections ourselves.

TEMS and onebugle, when this was brought to my attention I in fact had that changed to combine EMS/Fire because as Brian said, when the site was first launched standalone EMS was entirely seperate and there is in fact a severe lack of any other available funding for them except under HERSA, CDC and a few private and corporate grants. If we find additonal grnats that are EMS only, we woudl probably post them as seperate grants again but, as was pointed out the "more coming soon" was getting to be old and tired.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 09-28-2005 at 09:42 PM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default insurance

BC & KB - looking fro confrimation - you state that stand alone EMS can bill insurance companies but not EMS Squads that are part of a FD - am i interpeting this correctly?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Anyone that transports the patients can bill for services is my understanding. First responders can't. So all of the areas that use AMR or another for-profit EMS transport service can't bill for the first response paramedics or engine companies. Pinellas FL is in that situation I think.

Thread Information