Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cocoa Beach Firefighters Bring Home Gold

September 21, 2005

Cocoa firefighters capture gold medal at Florida games

BY RYAN WESTERVELT
    FLORIDA TODAY

The high-fives and thumbs-up gestures were plentiful upon the Cocoa Fire Department's victorious return from the 2005 Florida Firefighter Games.

For the third year in a row, the department took the gold medal, beating out 48 other departments classified in its division.

"The No. 1 spot was achieved by the hard work and dedication by all the members of the organization," said Department Coordinator Dennis Piper.

Cocoa is a Division 5 department, meaning it employs less than 100 firefighters.

Six firefighters competed in events including archery, track, golf -- and the break out hit of the games, a Texas Hold'em poker tournament that attracted 250 participants.

"It was our first year doing it (the card game); it was experimental," said Piper, who said he was surprised at the drawing power of the card game. "What a hit it was."

The firefighters were Piper, who won four bronze medals and two silver; Jorge Abreu, two silver and three gold; Leland Cox, six bronze, two silver and one gold; Kevin Mulligan, two bronze, four silver and two gold; Craig Geira, four bronze and one silver; and Keith McCoy, one bronze, one silver and one gold.

The Florida Firefighter Games began in 1972 with only a few departments competing in one or two events. Today, more than 2,000 firefighters from 97 departments participate in the 50 events offered

The games, which were hosted this year by the Polk County Sports Commission, provide a friendly atmosphere and promote the exchange of ideas and friendships among firefighters.

The Gainesville Sports Commission will host the next Florida Firefighter Games.

To learn more

For more information about the Florida Firefighter Games, visit the Web site www.floridafiregames.org
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

glad to hear about cocoa beach.....
    i donated quite a few of the patchs in their patch board when
    it was put up in 1983....

www.schackdaddy.com

Thread Information