Thread: Hose Help???

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hose Help???

Question. Does anyone have any experiences with Nylon fire hose. Outer and inner jacket being nylon and the interior is a polyurethane extruded onto the inner liner. It seemed to be alot lighter and seemed to pack alot better than polyester. Just wanted to know if anyone had experience on the durability side and things such as kink resistance. I did a search on the subject and didn't find anything. Didn't know if there were any hose experts that could help out. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cant say that I have heard of straight Nylon hose. Who Makes it?

MembersZone Subscriber

The hose you speak of is pretty common from most manufacturers. Its lighter because it lacks the rubber lining that adds the bulk of the weight. As fas as nylon goes, in 2 minutes of quick yahoo searching I found that Angus makes Nylon jacketed hose, maybe you can check them out.

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate your help. The hose that we are looking at is made by Angus but sold under a third party. I was just looking to see if anyone had any experiences with this type of hose. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've encountered two varieties of this kind of hose - one of which was junk, the other quite good.

My bed experience was with an older version of the hose construction and the exterior jacket might have been a material other than nylon (this would have been about ten years ago). The outer jacket would shrink, bunching up the inner jacket/liner. The friction loss was off-the-charts bad. You could correct the problem by cutting off a coupling and stretching out the inner jacket, cutting off six inches or so, and then putting ion a new coupling. Definitely not worth it. I have no idea who made that sorry excuse for a hose.

We currently use Niedner hose of the same construction and have had good success with it. I've noticed no practical differences between it and other types of hose, though it does lay in the hose bed flatter and stores in a smaller roll. I would expect similar performance from other manufacturers.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

We have a couple hundred feet of 1 1/2" nylon we bought years ago for hi-rise packs. It was the type without a liner. It was lite, but didnt hold up. We now have 2" lite weight hose for hi-rise. Its got like a poly liner with a nylon blend jacket. Much better stuff. When I get to work THursday Ill look and see who makes it.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

We bought the DP Dura Pak (made by Snap-Tite) about 8 years ago. No problems with it to date. Much lighter than traditional rubber lined hose and a lot easier to pack and reload. Don't see any difference as far as kinking. 1 3/4" weighs about 3# less than rubber lined, 2 1/2" about 6# less than rubber lined and 3" about 10# less than rubber lined.
    We recently bought similar hose- DP-800PU made by Key for our new engine. It will be December before it gets put in service so no experience with how it holds up.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just purchased some new mold resistant hose that has performed very well. Not sure of what it is called but here is the company we bought it from.
    http://www.donleysafety.com/
    Turned out to be cheaper price than there good vinyl hose.

Thread Information