MembersZone Subscriber

Default tank tracks on a fire engine

Hi,
    Recently, I heard about something called "Mattracks".It's tank tracks but you can put it on your car where your tire would usually go. As the title says, would this be a viable option for the fire service? To put it on an engine, ladder, rescue,etc...
    I was thinking it might prove useful in flood situations, wildland fires, tough access situations.

P.S I am not a dealer for mattracks. I am just your average joe
    Last edited by FireStarter8990; 09-25-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Forum Member

I believe one of the national parks just got a type one engine with the tracks on it for winter use. They take the place of your tires, and are pretty easy to get on and off if you have the time to do it right.

The Matttracks are not designed for things as heavy as a ladder, or a full size engine. They are more designed for your "heavy duty" sized pickup trucks, and possibly an ambulance.

Also, don't forget that even if you do have the tracks on there, it's not really giving you any height. In a flood situation you will still have to worry about the water levels, and what you can't see under the water...

Just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Cpt. Common Sents

most of the fire trade mags have a few advertisements for them in there. There are a few companies that make them. Like said before they are primarily for pickups. I have seen them on the 6wheeled gator tractors. Used for steep hill brush fires. In the County south of me they have them of pickups to plow driveways in the ski country, they driveways are so steep that with only a few inches of snow it is impossiblew to walk, you have to have on snow cleats

Forum Member

Bit of information

(the heaviest duty set available)
    Recommended Max. GVW 20,500 lbs.
    Maximum Front 7,000
    Max. Rear 13,500

http://www.mattracks.com/index.htm

biggest issue with using them in my opinion is the (reccomended) 40mph top speed.

for example, with our department... they may be nice to have on scene, but 75% of the time we're running farther than 5 miles on highway (up to 15 miles)... and 40MPH isn't going to cut it.

Forum Member

The ones that I have seen are only good for squads or brush trucks, not enough strength to hold up a ladder truck.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

How much is something like that?

Forum Member

I believe their main use is snow, I've seen several videos demonstrating them and all have been in snow. It doesn't look like the clearance is very good either compared to the normal wheels. For other terrain I think most would be better off with a good 4x4, 6x6 or a real tracked vehicle designed for the desired terrain.

Forum Member

I know some people that have purchased Mattracks for their 1 ton pickups to use on their farms. I believe they had a price tag of $25,000 to $30,000. They are made for muddy conditions or snow. One person that I work with priced out a set for his Polaris ATV and they were around $5000. Pretty spendy. I have been by the Mattrack factory in northern MN a couple times, they had a Hummer and an ATV with tracks on display outside their building.

Forum Member

Ill bet they put a lot of stress on your power steering pump. It would be hard to turn thoes things. Im sure they would wear down fast if you drove on pavement too much.

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by FireStarter8990
    Hi,
    Recently, I heard about something called "Mattracks".It's tank tracks but you can put it on your car where your tire would usually go. As the title says, would this be a viable option for the fire service? To put it on an engine, ladder, rescue,etc...
    I was thinking it might prove useful in flood situations, wildland fires, tough access situations.

P.S I am not a dealer for mattracks. I am just your average joe

The only tracked fire apparatus that I know of is the one at McMurdo Station in Antartica. I believe it's used to get around in the snow where their 4X4 engines won't go.

Forum Member

MattTracks are great for sand and snow. They would not provide much of an advantage in flood, but might in swamp/marshland, although mostlikely they would just give you the oppertunity to get stuck much deeper in the swamp then you would otherwise. Primarily they are a snow and sand force multiplier only.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

THIS is what you need. By the way, it's an ALF....:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

THIS is what you need. By the way, it's an ALF....:
    I remember that one!!! That was a great joke! They pulled that photo off the website real quick.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

A wise axe-uh-man once said that if you have to ask,you cannot afford it.
    I recall seeing a price of $5,000.00 each for the Mattracks.
    We haven't gotten a lot of snow in the 7 years I've lived here in Kentucky but last December we got enough to cause real trouble.It'd be hard to justify the 5K cost to our trustees unless they saw what we could put them on when snow is in the forecast.
    Then there's also off vehicle storage,whatever maintenance is required,etc.

QUOTE=tyler101]How much is something like that?[/QUOTE]

Forum Member

I think you'd want to only turn the steering wheel while moving to help down the stress on the pump.
    They're made of the same Kevlar that tires are made of so they last just as long.I saw a bit on that military to civilian use show on History Channel a few years ago and they had a tricked out California truck riding around on dry pavement like nothing was wrong.
    I think there is a maximum speed of 45 mph on them though

QUOTE=Ledebuhr1]Ill bet they put a lot of stress on your power steering pump. It would be hard to turn thoes things. Im sure they would wear down fast if you drove on pavement too much.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member

OSD - Just wondering, did you know anyone that worked down at McMurdo? I was there 97-98.

Thread Information